Thumbs up to Tum-Up at Mae Hia for pork ribs

McTavish

I love ribs, moist tender sweet pork meat cooked slow and long to make tender and served with a yummy sauce, but not over-powering nor too spicy ... Tony's TUM-UP restaurant does them to perfection @ 179 bt served with a side of tempura vegetables (though I'd prefer fries).  Tony's sauce is not sweet nor even a little sour, such as The Dukes often is, and the coriander flavour comes through nicely.

Tum-up is on the 3029 ring road, adjacent Lilly Hotel - left side of road when coming from superhighway and heading toward the Hangdong road BigC intersection.  In fact it's just before the under-pass off on the slip road which runs south west toward Hangdong Rd.  It's airconditioned and with free wifi and Tony speaks English.  All dishes are Thai/Isaan inspired and quite superb, averaging 79bt ... or more for ribs of course!  CLOSED MONDAYS.

I'm always keen to hear of other great rib restaurants and rate Tum-Up alongside Norden (Swedish on superhighway), The Dukes and Rose's roadhouse (which are smoked ... different flavours).

Ohkahju Thai-style grilled ribs look great but they're tough, not pre-cooked and don't suit my tastes.

Anyone else found really really great ribs?

16 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Flying pig on Nimman , great ribs and nice pirri fries.

Half rack with fries and salad is 280.- Baht

What are "pirri" fries?

And, half rack is roughly how many rib (bones)?  .... 4?

Tum-up serve 4 ribs with tempura vegetables for 179 bt which is pretty reasonable and Norden do a Wednesday special, rack of 8 with green salad and large home made potato wedges for 299bt.

We'll try Flying Pig sometime though parking in Nimman area is a PITA.

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Yeah, at Rosie's Roadhouse pretty close to there....500B for a full rack with fries....Half rack about half price.....

Great ribs.....

IMG_20180617_170416.jpg

Good food at Roses but the crapper is filthy ... put my old lady off going back though we tried twice with same result.  Hygiene is just as important as tasty food in any restaurant.

14 minutes ago, McTavish said:

Good food at Roses but the crapper is filthy ... put my old lady off going back though we tried twice with same result.  Hygiene is just as important as tasty food in any restaurant.

You know - it has to be in the timing.....

I always wash my hands prior to eating....Especially after I've touched money or been shopping, etc.....Even keep the alcohol hand cleaner in the cars.....

Many's the time I've washed up in there & the restroom has been good....It's an older building & it shows but, it's been clean = not dirty....

One time it was messy from another user....I reported it to Patrick and it was seen to straight away with an apology....

I'm never in there at a pattern or fixed time so I'm guessing it's usually ok.....

Archived