Help - How to Configure my Hauwei HG8045H in Bridge Mode

Mutt Daeng

Currently I have a 3BB Fibre 200/100 Internet package, which includes a Hauwei HG8045H ONT / Router in router mode.

I want to change to bridge mode so I can add my own router and be more in control of my home network following the recent revelations regarding infected routers,  since it appears 3BB policy is not to apply new firmwares to their products out in the field. I have read posts of people who have already done this (on slightly different models).

Looking for assistance. I have the admin login & password and the option to change the mode from router to bridge is NOT greyed out.

I have also saved the config file, so in theory I can always restore the original settings (assuming I can log on to the router).

All comments / help greatly appreciated

Please post how you get on.

It's these crappy routers that the ISP's are using with their Fibre service that is keeping me from upgrading from VDSL.

If I can keep my current router and do as you plan to do, I might bite the bullet and go for FTTH.

OK Sorted.

My  home net is now protected by ASUS RT-AC86U Dual-Band AC2900 with the latest firmware.

It was simply a case of creating a new wan connection on the HG8045H using bridge mode and disabling the existing router mode connection as shown in the video posted by @mtls2005 above. Then all I needed to do on the ASUS router was define the wan connection as PPPoE using the username and password from the installation report that the 3BB engineer gave me when they installed the fibre.

I have only described the wan part of the config. Obviously you have the usual config tasks such as lan config, wlan config, dhcp, dns, mac filtering etc on the new router as well as disabling dhcp, wlan, mac filtering etc on the bridge mode router.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
Omission