Thailand's longest afternoon of the year today

webfact

Thailand's longest afternoon of the year today

halo.jpg

FILE photo

CHIANG MAI, 21st June 2018 (NNT) – The summer solstice today (June 21) will result in the longest afternoon of the year in the northern hemisphere. Meanwhile, a halo appeared around the sun in Chiang Mai for close to an hour yesterday causing much excitement. 

Chiang Mai locals rushed to take pictures of the phenomenon yesterday after a halo around the sun was seen from the parking lot of Chiang Mai International Convention and Exhibition Center. Many took the opportunity to make wishes. The halo effect took place between 10:45AM and 11:30AM. 

The National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT) explained that the halo was created by cold air in the lowest strata of the earth's atmosphere causing dew to freeze and fracture daylight shining downwards. The phenomenon is similar to a rainbow after a rain shower. 

At this time of year, the period of daylight lasts longer in the northern hemisphere. The sun rose today at 5:51AM and is estimated to set at 6:47PM, totaling 12 hours and 56 minutes in Bangkok, meaning the longest day of the year.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-06-21

1 minute ago, marko kok prong said:

This is news?

Anywhere else in the world it wouldn't be. But in Thailand, yes. It is such a phenomena it is reported every year. Gives the folks a valid reason to buy a lottery ticket; or punt the World Cup.

• Like 1

Just to be correct. The July (Summer Northen Hemisphere) solstice only applies to people living North of the Tropic of Cancer. Their days will now start to become shorter (Yes Southern hemisphere longer days). In Thailand there are actually two longest afternoons in the year (equal day and night) when the suns zenith and declination passes the Latitude you are living at. We had one about 1.5 months ago and the next will be in about 1.5 months time. Australia as a comparison has had its shortest day today and their longest night. Called the Winter Solstice. For those that don't see it as news worthy forget about the frontier navigators who discovered the world we live in today using the sun to calculate their Latitude North or South or Longitude East or West depending on the suns altitude above the horizon or the time the sun rose or set .The solar panel pointed in the right direction or the plane that finds an airport or guided missile that finds it's target or the phone with an App that shows you the way to 7 Eleven has easily been forgotten how they work. The author (me) spent many years of study and practical work using the sun for navigation before technology took it's place. To me the article is News worthy!  I'm finished with my rant now!!!

3 hours ago, Thaifish said:

Just to be correct. The July (Summer Northen Hemisphere) solstice only applies to people living North of the Tropic of Cancer. Their days will now start to become shorter (Yes Southern hemisphere longer days). In Thailand there are actually two longest afternoons in the year (equal day and night) when the suns zenith and declination passes the Latitude you are living at. We had one about 1.5 months ago and the next will be in about 1.5 months time. Australia as a comparison has had its shortest day today and their longest night. Called the Winter Solstice. For those that don't see it as news worthy forget about the frontier navigators who discovered the world we live in today using the sun to calculate their Latitude North or South or Longitude East or West depending on the suns altitude above the horizon or the time the sun rose or set .The solar panel pointed in the right direction or the plane that finds an airport or guided missile that finds it's target or the phone with an App that shows you the way to 7 Eleven has easily been forgotten how they work. The author (me) spent many years of study and practical work using the sun for navigation before technology took it's place. To me the article is News worthy!  I'm finished with my rant now!!!

Just to be REALLY correct, the July solstice occurs in June.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Wow I only go to Thailand in Winter. How much longer is the longest day, 10 minutes

longer than the shortest?

Geezer

It's about 1.5 hour difference in central Thailand.

More in the upper north compared to the deep south.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/thailand/bangkok

Day lenght from 11:19 hours to 12:56 hours.

Full two hours in Chiang Mai.

Only about 20 min in the deep south.

And for me as an early bird it makes a difference.

Edited by KhunBENQ

18 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Anywhere else in the world it wouldn't be.

Anywhere? Maybe not but of course it is "news" in the far north (Scandiavia) where "midsummer" is a big event with parties all night, misc rituals.

"White nights" in Russia (St. Petersburg) etc.pp.

Basically it does not get dark all night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsummer

Edited by KhunBENQ

The rainbow around the sun is some spectacle . I have now seen it twice and both times  in the last year . I called out the Thai family who in turn called the neighbors , none had seen it before and some in their 80 s .