U.S. forces, British divers join search for boys missing in Thai cave

webfact

8 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Excellent. Yet another piece of good advice from the likes of Buddha Issara.

That'll serve a purpose.

What else are the families going to do?  They're already sitting around doing nothing but worrying.  Might as well give them something to think about so they panic less, which is better for them and the rescuers too.

25 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

What is it you could not understand ? My point was that it is an assumption based on the fact there bikes were nearby.  If you park your car outside a toilet block does it mean you are inside ?  Also based on the fact that there is no factual evidence the group entered the cave then their lives could be endangered by the simple fact,  clearly beyond you,  that they could be elsewhere, nearby perhaps, in a life threatening position that is not being searched.

I thought they also found a backpack and a sandal.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nigeone said:

Just really sad that there's a reluctance to realise Thais are not very good at anything by authorities. Haven't the necessary skills or experience and the reluctance to have requested help earlier I hope doesn't cost lives. Many countries not least U.K. and USA would have provided instant help if requested . Hopefully it's all not to late and the expertise and logistics  now arriving can make the difference .

When there is an earthquake and people are missing, the UK sends out search and rescue teams, however

this is often up to a week after the event. These guys are not just sitting by the phone waiting for

it to ring, many have day jobs and equipment and transportation logistics take some time to organise.

It would be great if there were an international rescue crew able to be on the ground within hours, but

this is almost impossible to implement.

This is an awful situation and I'm sure everyone, of every nationality is doing everything they can to

save these boys.

• Like 2

Sure many on here remember and have seen the movie about the plane crash in the Andes and what happened.

Call me evil, castigate me! but I couldn't help but think if there is one fat kid amongst them, wonder if he is wondering why they are all looking at him. - :sorry:

Its all well and good the British press saying the cold wont be a issue, but the Thai diet works against them, they tend not to have a lot of body fat to use up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

US, UK and Laos assist in soccer team rescue operation in Chiang Rai

CHIANG RAI, 28 June 2018 (NNT) - The United States and Laos have deployed officials at Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai province to assist in the search for the missing members of a youth soccer team. 

Soon there will be more teams in Thailand than there are now in Russia

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Thank you for your invaluable contribution to this story.

Let`s see if anyone else can come up with something better for the moron of the year competition.

A few posts show again the mental situation of some TVF members.
Why can't these morons just watch soccer and keep quiet ???

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

What is it you could not understand ? My point was that it is an assumption based on the fact there bikes were nearby.  If you park your car outside a toilet block does it mean you are inside ?  Also based on the fact that there is no factual evidence the group entered the cave then their lives could be endangered by the simple fact,  clearly beyond you,  that they could be elsewhere, nearby perhaps, in a life threatening position that is not being searched.

Yeah, they may be playing an away football match somewhere !!!!!!

6 minutes ago, TSF said:

Valid remark from Chopperboy actually, it happened to some foreign volunteers in the aftermath of the Tsunami.

Indeed it did, together with thieving of about half the charitable donations. Oxfam said they would never help Thailand again. Something of a phyrric victory, though personally I'd have been shouting it from the rooftops. Not the Oxfam way I expect.

1 hour ago, Nigeone said:

Just really sad that there's a reluctance to realise Thais are not very good at anything by authorities. Haven't the necessary skills or experience and the reluctance to have requested help earlier I hope doesn't cost lives. Many countries not least U.K. and USA would have provided instant help if requested . Hopefully it's all not to late and the expertise and logistics  now arriving can make the difference .

Well , American and British experts are now on site. Their expertise has already proved invaluable.

Apparently, the main problem is that the cave is flooded with rainwater. If the rainwater can be pumped out faster than the rainfall fills the cave, divers can make more progress.

• Like 1

Rescue workers begin drilling in desperate bid to drain cave

By The Nation

4e0e4d841d5728d80c3a33d142268dcf.jpeg

Rescue teams have begun drilling into the walls of Tham Luang Cave in Chiang Rai province in a bid to speed up drainage of floodwater that is proving the biggest obstacle to rescue efforts.

The floodwater level is rising because of continued heavy downpours. 

Thirteen members of a local football club – 12 boys and their coach – are still missing after entering the cave last Saturday. They are believed to have been stranded deep inside the 10-kilometre-long cave complex after flash floods sealed their exit.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30348875

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-6-28

2 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Although I`m no expert, sorry, don`t agree no matter what the reports say.

Temperatures can drop quite low during the night in Northern Thailand, plus the cold water and being deep underground out of reach of sunlight, I would say there is a significant chance of hypothermia.

And its kids in shorts and t-shirts and no shoes and no food

• Like 1

what concerns me is about the drilling...

what if, when they break through, that the drill itself breaches the very last air pocket, that may hold the surviving cavers' last hope

blub blub blub ?

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, tifino said:

what if, when they break through, that the drill itself breaches the very last air pocket, that may hold the surviving cavers' last hope

blub blub blub ?

It doesn't work the way that you are thinking tifino, it will mean that they get fresh air into the cave, it is not the air that is holding the water back.

3 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It doesn't work the way that you are thinking tifino, it will mean that they get fresh air into the cave, it is not the air that is holding the water back.

I'm sort of thinking about the 'timing' of it.

The time in between the breaching, and until the drill is extracted and the  pump starts up...

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, tifino said:

I'm sort of thinking about the 'timing' of it.

The time in between the breaching, and until the drill is extracted and the  pump starts up...

You don't need a pump because the fresh air will flow into the cave naturally, it is surprising once you get that small shaft opened

Just now, Russell17au said:

You don't need a pump because the fresh air will flow into the cave naturally, it is surprising once you get that small shaft opened

are we assuming a Venturi effect?

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Temperatures can drop quite low during the night in Northern Thailand, plus the cold water and being deep underground out of reach of sunlight, I would say there is a significant chance of hypothermia.

But they're in a cave, and caves are the same temperature all year round.

Usually unpleasantly warm in Thailand, if you're not actually sitting in the water.

(Cave temperature is constant = average temperature for surrounding exterior location =25-27c for Chang Rai)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, tifino said:

blub blub blub ?

What , all the air disappears up the newly drilled hole ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tifino said:

are we assuming a Venturi effect?

yes, you will get an effect like that, but you do need to use that shaft for other things as well. It is used to lower lighting and communications and food in small packets and bottles of fresh drinking water. If the shaft is drilled at 150mm then you can use a 100mm plastic pipe closed at one end and you can lower the majority of the things they would need even some warm clothing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What , all the air disappears up the newly drilled hole ?

well.. consider in a town, a flooded street, water every where gushing down the slope of the road. 

The under street civic drain, the grates - you see water gushing up and out... fountains of it

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Media1 said:

As l said the US should have been called in after day 1. The ego of the Thai army over shadowed reality

Do you feel that Americans are supreme beings and only they can do certain things  ?

Ironic that you are going on about other peoples egos .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Wow, talk about stating the obvious....

Yes , that's correct.

However , even as we write , more experts are flying in from all over the planet to state the obvious. That nothing truly helpful can be done until it stops raining.

Several posters have implied that the Thais are incompetent and falangs are needed. Now they are here they have no miracle solutions to offer.

You cannot compete with nature. We have all seen what a monsoon rain looks like. In half an hour Bangkok can be flooded.

We are not talking about English rain which can go on for a week without filling a paper cup ( just enough to be depressing ). We are dealing with a monsoon rainy season.

All these experts are totally at the mercy of mother nature and until there is a significant break in the weather of three or four days nothing much will be achieved even of Donald Trump turns up to shake everyone's hands. 

This is just another case of shutting the door after the horse has bolted. The caves should be closed and caged off  for public access during the rainy season. They were not and hopefully , whatever the outcome of this emergency, in future , park officials will be stricter over access.

However, after living here a while, my observation has been that observance of safety procedures slips when they prove effective and nothing bad occurs.