Ways Sought To Protect Privacy Of Cell Phone Users

Jai Dee

NLA committee of consumer protection seeks ways to protect privacy of cell phone users

The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) committee of consumer protection today held a discussion to seeks ways to protect privacy of cell phone users.

This morning, NLA committee of consumer protection together with committee of information technology and communication from the Telecommunications Association of Thailand under the Royal Patronage, and Foundations for Consumers have organized a seminar, namely “Problems and Solutions of Mobile Phone Service for Consumers”.

A number of people and relevant agencies such as the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) and telecommunications companies have joined the seminar. The seminar is also attended by ICT Minister.

The discussion will touch on the problems of mobile phone service; unfair competition, and will seek solutions for the matter. The plan for developing telecommunication systems will be discussed to prevent repercussions caused by the supervision of the state sector and NTC.

Foundations for Consumer to look after consumers affected by telecommunication businesses might be set up in the future.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 February 2007

So, just what lack of privacy do I currently need to be concerned about as a cell phone user in Thailand?

Well for a start Thailand needs to get some privacy laws in place in order to enact some kind of protection because right now you ain't got zip. They used to have a privacy law under the old constitution (sect 34 and 37) but we all know what happened to that when a certain military coup happened.

Some others to consider are:

1) Software can be installed onto a mobile phone which basically turns it into a listening device so that you can be tuned into by those men in black, or your wife or other people with a vested interest in YOU, like the erm um Thai secret squirrel military political squad

2) Location software and GPRS can now locate you within about 1 metre of your location which is a bummer if you are away in the bed room of the woman next door and you don't want your find to find YOU

3) Other software can now also be installed that provides itemised call details to a third party - great for checking who the other half is chatting to behind your back if you suspect him/her of playing about

4) The fact that most mobiles now come with a camera and therefore can take a photo of YOU anytime and anyplace and be up on the Internet within minutes...

And that's just a few I can think of. So apart from those few minor things there really aren't any privacy issues to consider when it comes to mobile phones here in Thailand. :o

I can assure you that they are monitored.

I had a telephone conference a few months ago, I was calling in to a SG number.

The call lasted for about one hour.

Shortly after I ended the call, my office was called by TOT to check if someone (me) made a long call to SG.

:o

Alex

Edited by AlexLah

I can assure you that they are monitored.

I had a telephone conference a few months ago, I was calling in to a SG number.

The call lasted for about one hour.

Shortly after I ended the call, my office was called by TOT to check if someone (me) made a long call to SG.

Alex, your call to SG was on a *mobile phone* and *TOT* called to verify?

So, just what lack of privacy do I currently need to be concerned about as a cell phone user in Thailand?

Well for a start Thailand needs to get some privacy laws in place in order to enact some kind of protection because right now you ain't got zip. They used to have a privacy law under the old constitution (sect 34 and 37) but we all know what happened to that when a certain military coup happened.

1) Software can be installed onto a mobile phone which basically turns it into a listening device so that you can be tuned into by those men in black, or your wife or other people with a vested interest in YOU, like the erm um Thai secret squirrel military political squad

2) Location software and GPRS can now locate you within about 1 metre of your location which is a bummer if you are away in the bed room of the woman next door and you don't want your find to find YOU

3) Other software can now also be installed that provides itemised call details to a third party - great for checking who the other half is chatting to behind your back if you suspect him/her of playing about

4) The fact that most mobiles now come with a camera and therefore can take a photo of YOU anytime and anyplace and be up on the Internet within minutes...

And that's just a few I can think of. So apart from those few minor things there really aren't any privacy issues to consider when it comes to mobile phones here in Thailand. :o

I would consider #1 worthy of legislation -- could it be consolidated with anti-wiretapping and eavesdropping laws?. I'm not overly concerned with #2,3,4, although I can see where some people might need to have their tails covered. Perhaps just making unauthorized (by the owner) installation of software to a phone illegal would be sufficient?

For #4, how does the camera position itself to take a picture of the owner/user? How often do you set your phone down in a position that the camera faces you, anyway? Just place the phone in a pocket or drawer or when you set it down place it with the camera facing down, no?

How can they legislate #2 to not be able to place you in your mia noi's bedroom, but still allow emergency services to pinpoint the location of a distress call?

I'm not in favor of over-legistating. Not that I don't trust the legislators... :D

I would consider #1 worthy of legislation -- could it be consolidated with anti-wiretapping and eavesdropping laws?. I'm not overly concerned with #2,3,4, although I can see where some people might need to have their tails covered. Perhaps just making unauthorized (by the owner) installation of software to a phone illegal would be sufficient?

For #4, how does the camera position itself to take a picture of the owner/user? How often do you set your phone down in a position that the camera faces you, anyway? Just place the phone in a pocket or drawer or when you set it down place it with the camera facing down, no?

How can they legislate #2 to not be able to place you in your mia noi's bedroom, but still allow emergency services to pinpoint the location of a distress call?

I'm not in favor of over-legistating. Not that I don't trust the legislators... :D

The software to do just his was promoted on another web site. The site owner is currently having a break from maintaining his site.

"So, just what lack of privacy do I currently need to be concerned about as a cell phone user in Thailand? "

Another poster mentions that simply downloading a web-site based software application will accomplish this, it is not that simple. Regardless, working with programmers and engineers, the US FBI tapped into a mafia-owned cell phone - the phone provided no external indications that the phone microphone was "on" and the phone was transmitting - allowing the FBI is record conversations between several mafiosi. When the mafia guy dialed a number, the FBI-detailed software allowed the phone to work as normal and, when the phonecall ended, the phone automatically called the FBI, and allowed further recording. Several US mafia members are in prison because of this technique. In order to allow efficient location of someone calling "911" (US emergency services), all cellphones sold in the US for the past year or so, must have GPS. I'm not sure if that's true outside of the US. Regardless, before you buy that new cellphone, it is well known within the telephone industry that the easiest cellphone to hack is the Motorola V3 series. Forewarned is forearmed, and four-armed is half of an octopus.

The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) committee of consumer protection today held a discussion to seeks ways to protect privacy of cell phone users.

The Thai government couldn't give a rat's ass about protecting the privacy of the average cell phone user. The only reason they are making any noise about this at all is because of the sale of Shin to Temasek (i.e. Singapore).

Sorry for being a little ambiguous in my writing earlier. What I meant was that almost all mobile phones now have a camera which then allows someone to take your photo using their own mobile phone and they could have your photo up on the web in minutes. How many people whilst getting changed in a clothes store cubicle have had their photo taken (without their knowing) only for it to appear on a website later that day?

The main case to be considered for mobile phone cameras came about when a young woman in Seoul who was on a subway train with her pet dog decided to not clean up after it when it decided to relieve itself on the floor. http://populargusts.blogspot.com/2005/07/d...girl-redux.html 11 July 2005.

The main crux was that the woman did not clean up the mess, angering other riders, and the woman herself reportedly became surly as tensions escalated. Using a camera phone a passenger snapped a picture of the woman and the mess her dog created, see: http://www.migukin.com/?p=18. The photo, along with language describing what had happened, was posted online and eventually appeared on many sites. Some viewers were able to identify the woman, who became such a pariah, that she dropped out of college and went into hiding and it could be argued that although she probably deserved it, the extent to which her privacy was infringed has to be questioned and it was all down to the power of mobile camera phones

The law in the US might not prevail elsewhere. But, with few exceptions, anyone has the right to photograph anyone else in the US - and it is not considered an invasion of privacy.

As for shaming the woman who's dog made a mess, and she refused to clean it up, that's the price she paid for being a bad citizen. I wish I had a camera for all the times I've seen people urinate, and worse, in public.

Edited by backflip

I consider sms messages and prerecorded messages from DTAC an invasion of my privacy, or at least annoying. I have been told by the local office that they can't do anything to prevent my phone from recieving them and call barring hasn't been effective as the calls come from a different number every time. Who else has this problem?

I consider sms messages and prerecorded messages from DTAC an invasion of my privacy, or at least annoying. I have been told by the local office that they can't do anything to prevent my phone from recieving them and call barring hasn't been effective as the calls come from a different number every time. Who else has this problem?

I posted this yesterday in another forum section:

"I get annoyed at the DTAC spam mainly because it's in Thai and I can't read it.

I had always been in the habit of deleting it as soon as it arrives, but one time I asked a Thai friend I was with to tell me what it said and it was a two-for-one top-up offer so I went out and for B1,000 (the max permitted) I got B2,000 credit."

So, maybe there is some other "good" DTAC spam amongst the rest? <shrug>