Portable generator not producing electric

Esso49

Seems not my day as I have a a small Sakari SH1000DX portable generator which  up until yesterday worked fine.  However now it does not produce electricity. It worked one day and not the next.  I tried the tricks I found on google including re-energising using an electric drill but still no joy.   Does anyone now of a professional repair shop for portable generators I could take it to ?   I searched the web but can not come up with anything either in Udon Thani or Pattaya. 

Have you checked the obvious, that the protection breakers haven't popped? They should be in for on (I know, I know, but one has to ask).

Any of the small places that sell these beasties should be able to help getting it sorted.

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Have you checked the obvious, that the protection breakers haven't popped? They should be in for on (I know, I know, but one has to ask).

Any of the small places that sell these beasties should be able to help getting it sorted.

Yes checked all them out. Had the cover off to check for obvious loose connections etc. Had a multi meter on it and it is outputting 2.8 / 2.9 volts on the ac side which,  according to the google experts suggests the need to re-energise which as I said didn't work.  No one seems to sell this make anymore and this is my problem getting someone to take a look at it.  As you may appreciate the 100's of people who staff Global House and Homepro had zero idea of where to take it !!

Edited by Esso49

I don't know this unit, but if it's creating some voltage then it ought to liven up.

Can you check the brushes? (if it has them)

Also is the regulator electronic (probably a sealed box) or a simple capacitor (which you can replace)?

33 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I don't know this unit, but if it's creating some voltage then it ought to liven up.

Can you check the brushes? (if it has them)

Also is the regulator electronic (probably a sealed box) or a simple capacitor (which you can replace)?

yes brushes appear ok and as you suspect the regulator is sealed box.  No obvious sign of overheating though 

Can you get at the field terminals when it's running (the output side of the regulator)? Should be a DC voltage there.

I suspect the regulator, there's not really a lot else to go wrong, all you have to do is find one. AliExpress could be your friend.

https://aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-avr-for-generator.html?spm=2114.search0104.1.2.482a7edde5w1gX&SearchText=avr+for+generator&initiative_id=RS_20180707192829

25 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Can you get at the field terminals when it's running (the output side of the regulator)? Should be a DC voltage there.

I suspect the regulator, there's not really a lot else to go wrong, all you have to do is find one. AliExpress could be your friend.

https://aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-avr-for-generator.html?spm=2114.search0104.1.2.482a7edde5w1gX&SearchText=avr+for+generator&initiative_id=RS_20180707192829

ok will check that out when I get back,  thanks for your input

On 7/8/2018 at 9:54 AM, Esso49 said:

ok will check that out when I get back,  thanks for your input

Maybe I identified the regulator wrongly.  I have attached some pics. Gen 1 pic is the gen end with obviously the cover removed. Is that curved thing at the bottom of the pic the regulator ? there are some wires which appear to go into it but my pic missed them out in bottom right.

gen 2 shows the front connections etc. The breakers , bottom tight, are ok.  The green power light does not come on yet it does when I connect a dc source both when the power switch , bottom left, is on or off.  Normally of course this light is on when running.

gen 3 pic is the inside view of pic 2 although not good pic as is sideways on but no heat damage or loose connections to anything  be it breakers,  ac sockets etc.

So now stumped.

Gen 1.jpg

gen 2.jpg

gen 3.jpg

The curved aluminium thingy is the regulator. You should be able to get a replacement (similar power, same number of wires). 

But before you do that:-

• Check the resistance of the field winding.
  • Check the bridge rectifier.
  • As noted earlier check the voltage on the field with the engine running (DC).

If you can't find a manual it's time to start tracing wires through.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

The curved aluminium thingy is the regulator. You should be able to get a replacement (similar power, same number of wires). 

But before you do that:-

• Check the resistance of the field winding.
  • Check the bridge rectifier.
  • As noted earlier check the voltage on the field with the engine running (DC).

If you can't find a manual it's time to start tracing wires through.

Thanks Crossy I'll take it off another day to see if there is any serial numbers etc on it so I can try to get a replacement.  

I had that problem with an alternator and I disconnected the field wires red and white and connected a battery to the terminals (positive to the terminal with the red wire) for 3 to 5 sec. I did not start the generator at that stage. I reconnected the wires, cover back on then I started the generator. This was enough to put the residual ack into the field pole.
I read with interest using an electric drill to energise the field and I can see you need the right type of drill. One with permanent magnets and no speed control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 10:09 AM, Esso49 said:

Thanks Crossy I'll take it off another day to see if there is any serial numbers etc on it so I can try to get a replacement.  

Hi Crossy. Tried your link to get an AVR but could not find the exact part number  ( 2kw.111018.TT08-3H ).   Many look similar and rated for 2-3 kw.  Could I get one of those although of course I have no idea if the fixing hole centres will be identical ?

AVR 1.jpg

AVR 2.jpg

On 7/15/2018 at 4:39 PM, Wirejerker said:

I had that problem with an alternator and I disconnected the field wires red and white and connected a battery to the terminals (positive to the terminal with the red wire) for 3 to 5 sec. I did not start the generator at that stage. I reconnected the wires, cover back on then I started the generator. This was enough to put the residual ack into the field pole.
I read with interest using an electric drill to energise the field and I can see you need the right type of drill. One with permanent magnets and no speed control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

I also tried that.  Disconnected all connections from AVR.  Connected + from battery terminal to where the red terminal of the AVR was connected and similarly with the neg. terminal.  Still no joy so hence with yours and Crossy's help concluded it must be a faulty AVR

4 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Could I get one of those although of course I have no idea if the fixing hole centres will be identical ?

They're all much of a muchness, something of about the same power rating should do the trick.

A thought.

Whilst waiting for your new regulator check if the unit produces AC when you connect the battery to the brushes (engine running of course).

Check for the same thing at the AC terminals of the bridge rectifier (output of the exciter winding) and DC at the DC terminals of the bridge.