Thai House advertising style English Headline , Thai text.

turgid

Can anyone explain the reason for the illogical mixed use of English in Thai advertising. 

Very often the headline and sub heading will be in English with all the detail in Thai.    I know with magazines its a case of taking the international  copy and then adding the thai text. But in adverts for shows, restaurants, condos, real estate and local events it makes no sense to me.

This isnt a complaint about the use of Thai but if you are trying to appeal to an international audience or tourists why not at least have the key location and contact details in English.

If you are appealing to a Thai audience  why bother with the English headline which will be unreadable by 80% of your Thai audience. 

I regularly see events advertised  food show, car show etc where its clear what the  event is but no idea on location dates etc.

It has always baffled me. The only things you can understand is when international brands do it, but you're right that you see Thai or local brands advertising their logo or slogan in English, with all other info in Thai. 

Not really appealing to either audience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Because they have no idea what they are doing.

Try buying a used vehicle, most adverts don't even contain basic info like from which year the vehicle is.

2nd hand car dealer with 100 cars in their shop, every car has got the sign on "For Sale".

No display on the car about year, mileage, how many previous owners, previous accidents or such facts.

You have to ask a salesperson who doesn't know anything and has to walk back to the office for every Q&A.

Once I saw a car 2nd hand car dealership in Nonthaburi where all the info about every car was displayed behind the wind shields.