Savannakhet / Mukdahan Flooding? (August 2018)

Hi all,

Has anyone been to obtain a visa from Savannakhet in the past few days? Looking at the weather and news reports there has been some flooding.

Are there any known issues getting in and out of Mukdahan and Savannakhet at the moment?

I'll be driving up from BKK to obtain a new visa on 6th August.

Thanks.

I did a Visa run ten days ago - It was murky and rainy then BUT not a problem.

However if you are flying to NP then van to Mukdahan, or just taking a bus. The local rivers that feed into the Mekong from Isaan were brimming and that was 10 days ago. I believe a couple are flooding now.

Secondly Air Asia Van takes you back from the Indchine market in Mukdahan - that was on last nights news as minor flooding closed shops and caused the locals to move inventory. So better have the Air Asia numbers on phone as they might move pick up locations

Good Luck

I'm in Muk (In the city) now. Haven't seen any flooding on the streets. Just went to the bridge this morning and no problems. Of course, things could change quickly. Rivers are very high.

• Like 1

Just got back home from our trip to Mukdahan/Savannakhet and can report that the roads are all fine. Some signs of high rivers and flooded fields the closer you get to Mukdahan but no transport issues at all. The Mekong is very high and there are some riverside properties and the lower IndoChinese market affected. The hotels are really, really quiet and very few people in the queues for immigration or the bus. The bridge crossing is unaffected. Thanks to UbonJoe and the advice on the forum my first non-o multi-entry application for visiting my Thai wife was a doddle. 

• Like 2

Just got back home from our trip to Mukdahan/Savannakhet and can report that the roads are all fine. Some signs of high rivers and flooded fields the closer you get to Mukdahan but no transport issues at all. The Mekong is very high and there are some riverside properties and the lower IndoChinese market affected. The hotels are really, really quiet and very few people in the queues for immigration or the bus. The bridge crossing is unaffected. Thanks to UbonJoe and the advice on the forum my first non-o multi-entry application for visiting my Thai wife was a doddle. 
Thanks very much for the update. I've been watching the weather. Although rain is forcast for tonight, I've decided to set out tomorrow morning anyway. If I get stuck for any reason, I'll post on here.

Hopefully all goes well.
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 9:21 AM, LomSak27 said:

I did a Visa run ten days ago - It was murky and rainy then BUT not a problem.

However if you are flying to NP then van to Mukdahan, or just taking a bus. The local rivers that feed into the Mekong from Isaan were brimming and that was 10 days ago. I believe a couple are flooding now. 

Secondly Air Asia Van takes you back from the Indchine market in Mukdahan - that was on last nights news as minor flooding closed shops and caused the locals to move inventory. So better have the Air Asia numbers on phone as they might move pick up locations

Good Luck

He said he was driving up.

Not sure if he will be driving his car across the bridge or not, but either way, as long as the customs/immigration offices on either side of the border aren't flooded, which is unlikely as they are located some distance from the river and the bridge itself is high enough to avoid even the worst flooding, then he'll be fine. Also, the Thai consulate is located on the slope of a small hill, as the road from the first roundabout after the bridge slopes downhill towards the city so there's little chance of flooding there. The only places that could be affected by flooding might be hotels and restaurants/bars located next to the river, such as the Daosavanh Resort & Spa, Savannakhet's best hotel.

From it's current level the Mekong would have to rise another 4 or 5 metres to burst it's banks at Mukdahan and Savannakhet. We stayed at Daosavanh Resort by the river in Savannakhet Aug 2nd and the hotel tuk tuk driver said he  had never seen it do that before there. There could be flooding in some side streets as connecting rivers and streams back up but it is highly unlikely to affect the main roads IMHO. Anyone visiting soon should have no problems - other than encountering some miserable uncommunicative Farangs ?

Indeed I am driving up, but I've arranged to park my car at a hotel in Mukdahan.

Just arrived, no rain so far, but expecting some tonight and tomorrow. Thanks for the info regarding potential or lack of potential for flooding at the embassy.

Another quick question, since this is my first time here, do I have to take the bus across the bridge? I was planning to get a taxi from the hotel to the Thai check point, but then, how would I get across the bridge?

You buy the bus ticket at a counter at the entrance to the bridge, then get your Laos visa sorted for 1500 baht or 35 USD before clearing Thai Immigration. The bus takes you across the bridge for 50 baht and after clearing Laos immigration you can get a tuk tuk to the Thai consulate for 100 baht. I left my pickup at the covered parking on the left hand side car park at the bridge - it was 150 baht for 36 hours.

1 hour ago, Siamesecarper said:

You buy the bus ticket at a counter at the entrance to the bridge, then get your Laos visa sorted for 1500 baht or 35 USD before clearing Thai Immigration. The bus takes you across the bridge for 50 baht and after clearing Laos immigration you can get a tuk tuk to the Thai consulate for 100 baht. I left my pickup at the covered parking on the left hand side car park at the bridge - it was 150 baht for 36 hours.

Have they changed the process as when I recently did my trip you get your Laos visa on the Lao side not before you clear Thai Immigration ? 

2 hours ago, stretch5163 said:

Have they changed the process as when I recently did my trip you get your Laos visa on the Lao side not before you clear Thai Immigration ? 

I'm wondering the same, that has been my experience as well - Lao VOA on the Lao side, after clearing Thai immigration and the trip across the bridge.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stretch5163 said:

You're quite correct my mistake - apologies for the confusion. You hand in the Laos visa application on the Laos side of the bridge before clearing Laos Immigration.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Siamesecarper said:

Now 250bht per night at the covered place..

• Thanks 1

Just finished dropping off my passport at the embassy.

Rain last night, fairly heavy, but roads from my hotel to Mukdahan bus station are fine. Also roads into Laos and to the embassy are also good.

Cloudy at the moment, not raining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1