Garden Shading

Sakeopete

Hi All,

I'm looking to provide partial shade for my garden and noticed the Thais use black or green mesh. It works well however it doesn't look very nice. Does anybody know of alternatives that would look better and provide partial shade for a patio garden?

Thxs in advance

Peter

How about a simple wooden pagoda type frame with creeping plants over it. Kiwi fruit is one suggestion, but grape or alternatively trained and trestled Bougainvillea.

The advantage of having a living shade like this is the air below the plants will be noticeably cooler than below a man made fiber shade.

banana plants...leafy an' fast growing, used dem to shade the air intake duct fer a gas turbine in Nicaragua, improved the cycle efficiency significantly...(lower air intake temp = greater mass flow from de greater air density, an' m x c x dt = Wp...)

might help ye ta cool yer temaytas... :o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Although www.shades.co.th has some nifty looking shades I don't think they are for everybody or every home, I personally like the idea of a trellis with grapevines or a plant similar to Bougainvillea.

Trellises don't need much construction and can simply be made from very low cost wood, available from most hardware shops in Thailand.

Nikkijah :o

Although www.shades.co.th has some nifty looking shades I don't think they are for everybody or every home, I personally like the idea of a trellis with grapevines or a plant similar to Bougainvillea.

Trellises don't need much construction and can simply be made from very low cost wood, available from most hardware shops in Thailand.

Nikkijah :o

if ye can't get dem ready made from yer local garden shop a local will knock sum together fer next ta nothin'...

Why not try something like this, if not available in thailand, i am sure you would be able to get one made, for little money.

post-9688-1170776476_thumb.jpg

the umbrella is about 3 metres. and swings both ways, you only need to get a frame made and a secure base you can bolt to the ground. there are some good thai guys who could knock this up for peanuts, and it would be stronger. heck you could put a nice bamboo roof on the umbrella part once you have had the framework made. i reckon 1500 baht, you could get some guy to make it. then paten it..........

Edited by Thaicoon

How about a simple wooden pagoda type frame with creeping plants over it. Kiwi fruit is one suggestion, but grape or alternatively trained and trestled Bougainvillea.

The advantage of having a living shade like this is the air below the plants will be noticeably cooler than below a man made fiber shade.

Thats a good idea GuestHouse, are kiwi and grape plants for sale here? I've never seen them. Could seed myself but takes too much time would rather purchase starter plants.

kiwi.bmp

Useful thread here folks, thanks.

Anybody have suggestions for shading a pool?

I like the idea of vegetation on trellis or similar over part of my pool but I don't want to spend my days fishing plant debris out of the water.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.