Things that happen by magic in Thailand

Kinnock

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, freebyrd said:

I've been living and working with Asian people for 4 decades. I learned a long time ago that while I am quite capable of doing things for myself, why take a long time to do so when a local can perform the same task in a much shorter time and usually at less cost.

Exactly.  I could do all things that happen by 'magic' in my house - but why, when there's a willing helper who's more efficient and more effective.  By the same thinking I maintain her car.  And when she's doing some of the tasks like sorting out the AIS Playbox (again), I'm doing other things like earning money for both of us.

I did recently try to load the washing machine, but got intercepted on the way because I "did it wrong last time". 

Apparently bras need to go in a special bag with a zip .... who knew!

Exactly.  I could do all things that happen by 'magic' in my house - but why, when there's a willing helper who's more efficient and more effective.  By the same thinking I maintain her car.  And when she's doing some of the tasks like sorting out the AIS Playbox (again), I'm doing other things like earning money for both of us.

I did recently try to load the washing machine, but got intercepted on the way because I "did it wrong last time". 

Apparently bras need to go in a special bag with a zip .... who knew!

I didn’t.. who is wearing bras these days??

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 8/1/2018 at 2:50 PM, 55Jay said:

My wife considers it magic when, every month, new money shows up in the bank account.  Finally convinced her it's not magic, rather, it comes from the tree I planted out back.  She nodded her head in agreement and said, "Oh, Ok, that makes cents". ?

image.png.bcce1420f0540a858e4b90d270e158dd.png

Aurthur C. Clarke's 3rd law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

When you understand the magic trick it still amuses, but instead from the point or a parent rather than the child.

Ask her what the acronym "ATM" is.  The answer I got was "All The Money".  Well she laughed at least.  I was perturbed.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, luk AJ said:

I didn’t.. who is wearing bras these days??

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My knowledge of bras stops at the one-handed unclasp that all men have perfected by the age of 15. 

But I've now learned that if you don't put them in the washing machine in the special bag with a zip, then the hooks get caught on other clothing.  One of the many reasons I am now banned from approaching within 10 feet of the washer (an unfortunate incident with a dark blue cycling sock in a white wash being the other reason - an easy mistake, it was hiding in the machine before I loaded all of our white clothes - and anyway, I like blue shirts).

• Like 2

Two examples:

--Young Thai girl friend (not girlfriend) shows up at my Pattaya two-star hotel unannounced from Udonthani. She is with local girl friend. Refuses dinner out and makes lengthy phone order. Pizza? She won't say. Motorbike rider shows up with pot of glowing coals and a dozen ingredients. Dinner is prepared for four, including my roommate. She then gives me 10,000 baht "to help with expenses". Dishes done, pot of hot coals left outside door for pickup. They are gone with plans for departure the next day.for home.

--Very ill recently. Message ex-girlfriend who works nearby. In no time she is there with ambulance. She goes with me to hospital. They don't know what's wrong and want 50,000 baht a night in intensive care to find out. Not doable. She gets ambulance back and we go to government hospital down the coast. Ambulance 500 baht, hospital bed 400 baht per night. In an hour or so I am checked in, on three IVs, and a hose into my stomach. Bowel blockage. My ex departs at 3 a.m. She notified my family in U.S. On day two her sister brings me needed items from Pattaya on motorbike and lends me 10,000 for the hospital bill as I can only get 15,000 out of ATM per day, if I can get to an ATM hooked up the way I was. All ready cash had gone to first hospital. Released on day three. (Bill came to 16,000.) No taxis. Parking attendant offers ride for 300 baht after shift ends. My ex calls. Two ladies soon show up and drive me home. Payment refused. My condo has been thoroughly cleaned. Magic!

Edited by Mac98
Add clarification.
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 1:09 PM, Kinnock said:

My knowledge of bras stops at the one-handed unclasp that all men have perfected by the age of 15. 

But I've now learned that if you don't put them in the washing machine in the special bag with a zip, then the hooks get caught on other clothing.  One of the many reasons I am now banned from approaching within 10 feet of the washer (an unfortunate incident with a dark blue cycling sock in a white wash being the other reason - an easy mistake, it was hiding in the machine before I loaded all of our white clothes - and anyway, I like blue shirts).

I haven't learnt that trick yet.  I think if a man designed bras then they'd be much easier to deal with.  Same applies to those cheap zips found on women's clothing, and also irons and ironing boards.  Who concluded they were optimally designed?  I still maintain that no make up and no clothes is the way to go (at least for her ...hack/chuckle).

Going by your blue sock example, there should probably also be a maxim about not mixing rags on rag week.  I've never tested it because the only time I've used a washing machine is when single.  If I have a girl then... well yeah, they clean themselves it seems (the clothes I mean).

19 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Outdoors - most Thai girls, indoors, not mine .......

20180809_225843.jpg.f1483e35314b4390d357d95a23ad02d5.jpg

Mine too.  Outdoors 100% without fail, indoors she wants to feel relaxed.

I want her to feel relaxed too, more interesting than the telly, even if she's just doing the ironing ?

• Like 2