Where Do You Shop In A Country Which Is Such A Massive Market?

fruittbatt

As a former clothing exporter, whenever I visited Thailand I was always on the lookout to buy affordable fashionable designs in seasonable colours, large enough to fit the average Australian woman.

After living here for two years, I find my tastes have changed completely. These days I often buy slightly embellished Thai designs (not bling or baubles, but the occasional bow, bolero, leggings, even high heels). I have just about lost touch with what the west is wearing. I don't really care, since Thai fashion is exciting and dynamic IMHO.

I am always surprised when I go to expat meetings (rarely) to see men and women dressed as if they were in New York or London or Sydney. Have your fashion tastes changed since you've lived in LOS? Do you wear Thai styles? Do you only shop in Central, Jaspal, Guess, or Robinsons, or are you a Flynow III, Pratunam and Chatuchak fan like me? What is your favorite fashion shop?

:o Nowhere. Koh Phangan sells mainly beach fashion. After awhile you realize it is inappropriate to wear fisherman trousers all the time.

I wear a tshirt and shorts at home and when I go to town I change into clean shorts and tshirt :D

All kidding aside, my wardrobe is extremely limited and Bangkok fashions look ridiculous here.

I tend to go for the shorts/t.shirt combo. Practical and if I need something to go out in, I go to a tailor. Sadly for me, being superiszed (both vertically and horizontally) I almost always have to make do with mens clothing. Long Tall Sally for some reason won't send here :o

A good friend of mine (who doesn't live in Thailand) likes to buy a couple of the market T shirts to wear back home (rural Wyoming).

She just went back home and her latest purchase was a Tshirt with gawdy butterflies and writing : something like - " beautiful butterflies on the fly, by goo goo girls"

Not her normal wardrobe but she can't resist them.

Afraid I'm another of the t-shirt & shorts brigade for home & work. For going into town shopping or for the (very) occasional lunch it's jeans or cropped trousers (occasionally a skirt) & a top. I virtually never go out at night anymore, but HH isn't a very formal place, so jeans, a nicer top & high heels do me. Most of our shops here still aren't geared for farang sizes. I'm not quite Long Tall Sally material, but at 5'8" and a UK size 14, I'm still a lot bigger than the average Thai girl, so I end up getting most of my clothes from our charity shop (we have a 2nd hand shop to get money for the dogs). Cheap, often very nice & farang sized - I just pray I don't bump into the previous owners whilst wearing my bargains!

Shoes are a problem, though. I'm just one size too big for the biggest shoes in Thai shops & Tesco (I can put them on, but they don't look right), so I spend most of the time in fancy flip flops. HH may have a new shopping center, but the shops are still very much geared to petite Thai sizes, not farang. :o

Reason for edit: to clarify a point

Edited by November Rain

The casual beach shorts/jeans/skirt and top look is nice and easy to wear, and as NR says, you don't really need more than one or two "dress ups" . The HH charity shop is a great idea BTW! I can appreciate the problems for those who can't buy shoes or clothes to fit because of the limits of Thai sizes. My husband and sister both have the shoe-size problem, and have to go to import shops for (expensive) footwear.

...Here in Chiang Mai, I spend most indoors... in pants and tops: all that I need for studying, reading, writing. I look forward to occasions for dressing up: concerts, special dinners etc. The fashions in Chiang Mai are a bit limited and more expensive than in Bangkok, so I really enjoy a trip south a few times a year to buy clothes, bags, shoes. I love the 3-day shopping buzz of Bangkok, though I would really hate to live there!

I used to love wearing nice clothes (back in my previous life in the US) but only very rarely get a chance to wear anything here that isn't shorts (or capris) and tshirts. I have to say, that is one thing I miss; shoes, bags and cute clothes. :o

At the occasional wedding I can wear a dress but have two that I bought from the US. I like my clothes to fit and last more than 3 washes :D

I wanna answer this one...but seeing the response from many of you out in the country I feel like Ill be rubbing salt to wound :o

(I live in bangkok....) :D but ofcourse as many of you said there are other things you wouldnt like about the place, but atleast now I can view this dressing this as a plus to add to the list when faced with frustrations like pollution and traffic jam :D

and girls....anytime any of you are down in Bangkok and wanna find someone to go shopping with on the weekend...then lemme know. Im not a big shopper myself...but I guess I might make an ok shopping companion...give you views on the fitting/colour etc :D

I wanna answer this one...but seeing the response from many of you out in the country I feel like Ill be rubbing salt to wound :o

(I live in bangkok....) :D but ofcourse as many of you said there are other things you wouldnt like about the place, but atleast now I can view this dressing this as a plus to add to the list when faced with frustrations like pollution and traffic jam :D

and girls....anytime any of you are down in Bangkok and wanna find someone to go shopping with on the weekend...then lemme know. Im not a big shopper myself...but I guess I might make an ok shopping companion...give you views on the fitting/colour etc :D

thanks MiG16.....some great restaurants and good coffee in Bkk too....I'll pm you next time I'm in town. It would be fun to put faces to avatars and get to meet everyone on this forum one day!

what i really wanted to buy when i was in thailand but had no money to do so, were the three quarter jeans pants that all the village women wear... for here, it is practical, and looks good on me, here the fashion is those bell bottom long jeans with super low cut waist, even if u are 120 yrs old. i'm short and slim (boyish) and hate non practicality and that super low cut is disgusting unless u are 17 yrs old. (in my personal oppinion).

by three quarter i mean leg lenghth cut. (they're great for village bathrooms too no dragging on wet floors and then dusty streets!!

Yep, I'm with the country girls on this one. But I prefer one-piece dresses (easier to use the squat loos; no pants dragging on the floor). Fashion? Same. Used to be a corporate shopaholic. In Thailand, it's basic simple dresses, T's and guy's boxer shorts at home. Pedal pusher pants and a nicer shirt, or a modest dress for official biz or more upmarket dinners. First year in Thailand, I wore one pair of Bt20 flipflops which I had to replace only when my dog shredded one. (50 pairs of good shoes left at home, y'all?) Got some cute togs and sandals cheap in Singapore, but somehow, everything seems to disintegrate after washing a few times. And how about the underwear? Aiya! Samuimart in Nathon has cotton stuff, but the styles are...? I never wore tie-dyed stuff in the 60s and 70s and I won't wear it now.

I've just moved to Bangkok and am obsessed with the Lady Market in front of Carre 4 on Rama 4 Rd. I was always obsessed with bows and polka dots and stupid girly stuff like that back home, but now I have a good excuse to buy it. I can fit into the size 38 shoes, so have bought a couple of nice pairs, and since everyone else wears headbands here, I figure I can get away with it too, even though I look about 16 at the best of times (I'm 23). Oh and I've finally figured out the secret to wearing empire line dresses without looking pregnant - tie a wide belt under your bust. Yay. I've lost a couple of kilos lately so last weekend I bought myself one of those kitsch little pinafore type dresses you wear over a Tshirt, and it's well cute. Asian fashion is pretty cool, just wish I could fit into more of it!

Oh yeah, as for how my fashion tastes have changed, I spent 7 months living in Isaan so kept my shoulders covered up all the time, and being constantly surrounded by waiflike Thai arms, I have become even more self conscious about mine being so big that I don't want to wear strappy tops ever again!

I also used to wear an awful lot of black (Melbourne girl) but not wanting to look like a mourner, I've been wearing a lot more colours. I've also started to like white a lot for some odd reason.

I am interested to hear about our diversity, our varied tastes, habits, and shapes and sizes It all helps us to learn and appreciate more about each other, IMO. Jet, like you, the longer I stay the thinner I get. Thai food may contain plenty of sugar and salt, but I think bread may have been the culprit in my farangland life.

Yep. Exteriors are interesting, but I always waited to see the mental parts ticking and clacking. That's what I like most.

Had many stray dogs, smarter than whips but ugly as sin. Loved em all.

As long as you're polite, clean is good too, you're welcome at my home anytime.

It's rare that I buy clothes here as it's not that often that I find something that fits. When I first came to Thailand and lived in Isaan I lost loads of weight and did change my style so I wouldn't stand out too much or offend. When I first came to Bangkok I was skinny (for me) so could fit into clothes and definitely started wearing Thai (Bangkok) fashions - lots of glitter and glitz - and bought loads of bags, accessories (cheap jewellery, hairtyes, etc), and shoes. Now, I still like 'dressing up' but most of my clothes are from home or bought in other countries with western sizes. For work I dress much more 'professionally' than I would for the same job back home - but it's a requirement of my school. Round home, shorts and t-shirts/tank-tops, and going out (rare) jeans and a nicer top (still like the glitter!) and occasionally a dress if it's something fancier.

All kidding aside, my wardrobe is extremely limited and Bangkok fashions look ridiculous here.

mine too (also in koh phangan). i love clothes and shoes but there is no need for them here- when i go to bangkok i often buy nice things, that end up sitting in my cupboard unworn because they aren't practical on an island. i miss buying shoes, but there is no need for them here either, flip flops are the way to go, any nice shoes would get stolen anyway. the closest i come to dressing up here is wearing a skirt now and then. i do like my trips to bangkok though, i can dress up and go out and feel like my old self again.

i don't find thais particularly fashionable in general so i just don't pay attention to fashion here like i did in NY.

I love the little markets and always get cute shoes and flip flops but generaly I hate those floofy sequined busy coloured tops that are everywhere here! I like a plain style and I have to go to the malls and pay more to get them :o !

But I have to say where I used to live in Engers I'd never even been in a mall, so all this Gucci and Chanel in my face really makes me wanna be one of the elite at times!

When I was still in Canada I always dressed up, wouldn't even go out to take out the garbage if I wasn't presentable.

I always loved LOVED shoes

I lived in Beijing for 5 years where I indulged in my clothes and shoe obsession. I even had a special shoe closet made to accommodate my 200 pairs of shoes (yes, 200). I had a tailor who made me, amongst other things, glorious silk outfits, from Shandong silk or Thai silk, beautiful colours and textures. I was always a fashion plate.

Now, I wear cropped or capri pants to work, the moment I am back home I change into boxer shorts and a tank top. I bought my first pair of fisherman pants at Christmas this year.

I gave away loads of shoes. Leather shoes don't keep well anyway if you don't wear them. Now I wear ballet style shoes for work and flip flops every where else. I never ever wear high heels anymore.

I can't stand all these little girl tops with sequins, bows or cute pictures. My 12 year old daughter loves those. so I never bother with the markets.

Tesco is now my Fashion Mecca. :o

As for my hair, poneytail every day.

Makeup is minimal, mascara and lipstick if any.

I never thought I would ever hear myself say this but frankly, I don't care much about fashion anymore.

I found that living in Thailand really gave me a break from my fashion addiction. Because I was living in a small town for two years where dressing up was jeans and a T-shirt I quickly learned to adapt and became very moo bann trendy. However I did manage to have a collection of 20 different kinds of flip flops.. I couldnt give up the shoes! Then when I moved to Korea from Thailand I felt like I was dressed in rags and was quickly thrown back into the depths of my addiction. However because Korean women are even smaller then Thai women and I am not close to being the size of either I became very good at oline shopping. It also made a big difference having to all of sudden go back to a four season wardrobe. I really got back into doing my hair, instead of my Thailand wet 'n' go and quickly resurrected my M.A.C collection as its not too hot here that make-up melts down your face. And I can wear all the black I want here!! Korea is also really into bows, leggings, polka dots etc which I have to say I would not have looked twice at until I was surrounded by it. Now I own like 5 shrugs/bolaros. So now I am moving to BKK so I am interested to see how I adapt to that! but one thing is for sure..my sweaters, winter coats etc are being shipped back to Canada.

Edited by meme

I found that living in Thailand really gave me a break from my fashion addiction. Because I was living in a small town for two years where dressing up was jeans and a T-shirt I quickly learned to adapt and became very moo bann trendy. However I did manage to have a collection of 20 different kinds of flip flops.. I couldnt give up the shoes! Then when I moved to Korea from Thailand I felt like I was dressed in rags and was quickly thrown back into the depths of my addiction. However because Korean women are even smaller then Thai women and I am not close to being the size of either I became very good at oline shopping. It also made a big difference having to all of sudden go back to a four season wardrobe. I really got back into doing my hair, instead of my Thailand wet 'n' go and quickly resurrected my M.A.C collection as its not too hot here that make-up melts down your face. And I can wear all the black I want here!! Korea is also really into bows, leggings, polka dots etc which I have to say I would not have looked twice at until I was surrounded by it. Now I own like 5 shrugs/bolaros. So now I am moving to BKK so I am interested to see how I adapt to that! but one thing is for sure..my sweaters, winter coats etc are being shipped back to Canada.

Your "Thai self" sounds just like me, meme - 20 pairs of flip-flops (were yours fancy?), wet hair & no make-up. In HK, it was high heels, immaculate clothes & never going outside the door in less than full make-up. My HK me & my Thai me wouldn't know each other if they passed in the street!

Your "Thai self" sounds just like me, meme - 20 pairs of flip-flops (were yours fancy?), wet hair & no make-up. In HK, it was high heels, immaculate clothes & never going outside the door in less than full make-up. My HK me & my Thai me wouldn't know each other if they passed in the street!

Yes I definelty had some fancy flip flops! The sad thing is I actully kept some of my flip flops and stored them at my MIL's very small house!!... b/c god knows its hard to buy flip flops in Thailand (add sarcastic tone here!)!! But its so hard to part with shoes even if they were only 200 baht!

Bt200? My flipflops were Bt30!

[/quo

Yes, yes, I had the 30 baht ones but Its the fancy shmancy ones that I kept and paid 200 baht for and yeah maybe it was more like 100 baht. All I know know is I just spent 80 US$ on a pair of boots. Winter is expenisve!! I miss flip flops!

Edited by meme

Have to say I have never been too big on fashion, and while I like to have pretty clothes I have never liked to shop...and I really hate shopping in Thailand. If it's outdoor markets, the heat and the crowds get to me. If it's indoors still the crowds (plus the traffic getting there) but above all the NOISE that Thai malls seem to find it necessary to bombard us with. Makes me want to turn and run, and more often than not I decide I don't really need whatever it was I came to buy, and just take off. On the plus side, hating to shop makes it easy to live within my means....