Brimming dams pose severe threat

webfact

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Right, and I guess the water in Thailand is different from the water in other countries.

Where I come from the water piles up if it doesn't find a flow path, not so in Thailand.

That is why it is not necessary to clean klongs and rivers and why filling in canals in the city can just continue as before.

Thai water will adjust!

Foreigners need to learn about Thai water!

I thought everyone knew Thai water was different, that's the very reason why all drain outlets are at the highest point of  all drainage areas. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

Just two days ago we were told there is going to be 'No repeat of devastating 2011 floods'....

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1051132-no-repeat-of-devastating-2011-floods/

That flood in 2011 of many people's homes and farm lands could have been less devastating if they would have release the water thru Bangkok but that advice was ignored. 

2 hours ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

That flood in 2011 of many people's homes and farm lands could have been less devastating if they would have release the water thru Bangkok but that advice was ignored. 

Yes I know, I lived in Bangkok at the time. I saw no water at all, anywhere.

There were major issues with supplies like bottled water at the time. It was very hard to get any.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

There were major issues with supplies like bottled water at the time. It was very hard to get any.

2011? you didna see any water?

kind of digression this; but 2011 related,

An Australian friend, lived on the western bank of the river, at almost the end of a very long soi

massive flooding

military trucks along the main road /handing out/selling drinking water and rice

boats available to ferry residents to the main road and back - at INFLATED prices

people walked with water to their waist -boats to costly for most

what did the boat guys do?

collected heaps of bottles crushed them and strewed the glass all over the long soi so walkers cut their feet

weird place LoS is

3 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

2011? you didna see any water?

kind of digression this; but 2011 related,

An Australian friend, lived on the western bank of the river, at almost the end of a very long soi

massive flooding

military trucks along the main road /handing out/selling drinking water and rice

boats available to ferry residents to the main road and back - at INFLATED prices

people walked with water to their waist -boats to costly for most

what did the boat guys do?

collected heaps of bottles crushed them and strewed the glass all over the long soi so walkers cut their feet

weird place LoS is

That's right, I saw no water and things continued as normal. I lived in an apartment on Sukhumvit at the time, just a couple of hundred meters from Asok BTS/MRT.

I had heard of places in Bangkok flooding on the news but I wasn't  that near any water at my location so I carried on as normal.

The drinking water supply situation was quite serious though, I guess supply lines were badly affected by the floods. There was none on sale anywhere. I managed to get a load delivered from a friend of a friend otherwise I would have left the country for a few weeks until things normalised.

I guess I lived in one of the areas that they definitely didn't want flooded.

Edited by ukrules

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

Back in 2011, I am sure Lad Prao was part of Bangkok. It was badly flooded. Shopkeepers still have their concrete wall till today in anticipation of the impending flood. Not how but when.  

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Back in 2011, I am sure Lad Prao was part of Bangkok. It was badly flooded. Shopkeepers still have their concrete wall till today in anticipation of the impending flood. Not how but when.  

Yes, but ukrules said he lived on Sukh close to Asoke, that is quite far from Lad Prao.

Also western side of the river suffered heavily in  2011.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Yes, but ukrules said he lived on Sukh close to Asoke, that is quite far from Lad Prao.

Also western side of the river suffered heavily in  2011.

Only about 3 km from Asoke to Suttisan where there was heavy flooding along Rachidapisek. Maybe he stayed indoor whole duration. 

2011 floods are on the longdo map, https://map.longdo.com/ . Select Flood 2011 from dropdown right hand upper corner. Most of BKK was wet except the farang ghettos and Hi-So areas in the center. The Hi-So let the peasants drown to save their spots. Expect same this year. Glad I'm not in there anymore, Pinklao will probably be a swimming pool.

Edited by DrTuner
Typo

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

2011 floods are on the longdo map, https://map.longdo.com/ . Select Flood 2011 from dropdown right hand upper corner. Most of BKK was wet except the farang ghettos and Hi-So areas in the center. The Hi-So let the peasants drown to save their spots. Expect same this year. Glad I'm not in there anymore, Pinklao will probably be a swimming pool.

The map does show zero flooding around Asok and the surrounding areas back in 2011 which is exactly where I lived at the time.