Living in Thailand and Visitor Visa to UK

Where you live is largely irrelevant as far as your opening question is concerned.

This is your GF's application and she needs to provide evidence of a genuine/subsisting relationship and reason to visit. Your role as sponsor needs to evidence sufficient funds for the proposed trip. 

The reasons to return to Thailand can sometimes be the tricky one and strong family ties, employment or better still ownership of land/property tend to persuade an ECO that "on the balance of probability" the applicant will return.

You living in Thailand COULD be used as evidence of a reason to return but that would also depend on the details of the relationship and what you both do here.

Ownership of property remains on of the strongest reasons.

• Like 1

If you are both living in Thailand and can demonstrate a settled life together then this should go a long way towards convincing the Entry clearance officer that the applicant is likely to return on the balance of probability.

A long term lease agreement for property especially if you can show you and the applicant are living together will be useful as well.

My wife owns several properties in Thailand but has been a UK resident for well over a decade so land ownership alone will not do.

Demonstrating that settled life in Thailand is key to convincing the ECO. 

A combination of relationship, employment, family and assets can all go towards presenting the all important picture of an applicant that is likely to return within the terms of the visa. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bobrussell said:

If you are both living in Thailand and can demonstrate a settled life together then this should go a long way towards convincing the Entry clearance officer that the applicant is likely to return on the balance of probability.

A long term lease agreement for property especially if you can show you and the applicant are living together will be useful as well.

My wife owns several properties in Thailand but has been a UK resident for well over a decade so land ownership alone will not do.

Demonstrating that settled life in Thailand is key to convincing the ECO. 

A combination of relationship, employment, family and assets can all go towards presenting the all important picture of an applicant that is likely to return within the terms of the visa. 

Agree with all that Bob, but I have also seen at least 3 cases where land has been the only thing owned........ it is certainly better than nothing in the absence of employment etc.  I think the point is that the ECO's need to tick boxes and with strong relationship and financial evidence, they will not be looking for a reason to decline.

Iagree that evidence of a settled relationship scores in two boxes......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Agree with all that Bob, but I have also seen at least 3 cases where land has been the only thing owned........ it is certainly better than nothing in the absence of employment etc.  I think the point is that the ECO's need to tick boxes and with strong relationship and financial evidence, they will not be looking for a reason to decline.

Iagree that evidence of a settled relationship scores in two boxes......

I agree with the previous 2 posters. I spend 7 months in Thailand and 5 months UK with my Thai wife. We have so far been successful in obtaining 3 one year visa and now in the middle of a 5 year family visit visa. Of course the maximum stay in any 12 month period is 6 months. In my sponsor letter I detailed and referred to the funds I will provide for our visit, where we will stay and detailed the fact that in Thailand my wife owns our car, our motorbike and our House. I also pointed out that we would be travelling and returning together to Thailand. These are good factors in a reason to return to Thailand. I also stated that our stay in the UK would be just under 5 months. In all applications the visa was granted. The 5 year visa in record time just a few days. I realise that at present the times are a bit protracted due to the move to India. Go for it good luck.

• Like 2