Millions of followers - farang in North Thailand a massive hit with the Thais

webfact

5 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I sympathize also but I agree you have to see the Thai point of view on this, there's no mileage or benefit to Thailand whatsoever by handing out citizenship to the average older foreigner.

To the average older foreigner no. But with a better criteria to qualify is more like it. So no, I do not see and do not agree with the Thai governments racist point of view. I actually do know a few people in the government I am considering asking in order to get what I want the same way a Thai would do it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

To the average older foreigner no. But with a better criteria to qualify is more like it. So no, I do not see and do not agree with the Thai governments racist point of view. I actually do know a few people in the government I am considering asking in order to get what I want the same way a Thai would do it. 

that will get you no where as i am sure you know. the rules are clear and for the most part i agree with the thais. ok so a few things i might suggest to change for long term residents without citizenship. 90 day reports. waste of time. once a year check into immo should suffice. photos for extension. 1 at wedding and one in front of the house with the number showing. that should be once a year but it's their gaff so their poxy rules

why does everyone have to be a Mate or a Dude ?     does that make the point any stronger ??

Note:   please spare me your temptations to answer    mates and dudes

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rumak said:

why does everyone have to be a Mate or a Dude ?     does that make the point any stronger ??

Note:   please spare me your temptations to answer    mates and dudes

what are you talking about mate?

i spare no one

Edited by Happy enough
spelling

38 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

our bkk maid is at lad prao immo right now doing 90 day report. her number number was in the 600's. basically a whole day there. my mrs, thai, said the same thing. why the 90 day reports. a waste of time and money

I hope the message is loud and clear. Will they get it though?

Was told that if my stairway is near my bedroom it will be a bad omen? Was told that if there are 2 doors in a house (a front one and a back one, money will vanish.) No wonder why Thai houses are so poorly laid out. The Chinese fung shwei (but not just this) is holding back this country as some other backward customs here and else where. Correlation is not causation. Is there a Thai expression for this.

4 minutes ago, JestSetter said:

Was told that if my stairway is near my bedroom it will be a bad omen? Was told that if there are 2 doors in a house (a front one and a back one, money will vanish.) No wonder why Thai houses are so poorly laid out. The Chinese fung shwei (but not just this) is holding back this country as some other backward customs here and else where. Correlation is not causation. Is there a Thai expression for this.

i think it's cute. don't even have certain numbers on lifts because of bad luck. love it 555. you're living amongst some of the best people in the world. you just haven't seen it yet.

**there is no blame on thai people for the way they think. a lot of the local schools in the mornings are like some kind of hitler youth rally, it's crazy but that's how those in control have made it.

marmite, i'll miss it if i ever leave and will for certain have this place and the people in my heart and wish them the best

Edited by Happy enough

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

ridiculous? no it's not. my mrs has a uk passport and they wanted to know finances. 80,000 is only about 1,800 GBP a  month. 3 years. i mean come on? is that too much to ask. that's driver and service salaries in many countries.

apples and pears!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Give me an idea of what you think that better criteria might be and most importantly, why they should even consider changing it, what's in it for them?

11 minutes ago, JestSetter said:

Ah, the thai bashers are out in full force.   Why don't you JetSet to some place you like better ?

Just now, rumak said:

Ah, the thai bashers are out in full force.   Why don't you JetSet to some place you like better ?

come on mate. he's sharing an opinion on a forum. that's ok. vent your frustrations and all that. what's worse is telling him to go somewhere else if he doesn't like it. why?  i didn't see it as a thai bash, which i think is exclusive to this forum

11 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i think it's cute. don't even have certain numbers on lifts because of bad luck. love it 555. you're living amongst some of the best people in the world. you just haven't seen it yet

i  like the kinder and gentler you....... 

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

come on mate. he's sharing an opinion on a forum. that's ok. vent your frustrations and all that. what's worse is telling him to go somewhere else if he doesn't like it. why?  i didn't see it as a thai bash, which i think is exclusive to this forum

i didn't tell him.   i asked him.   slow down and read.    

Denied citizenship = Racist = Get your family out and live in America, better education, better medical care, better salary, better choice of climate, better language English the international language (for your child) compared to Thai which is a tiny language in comparison, better human rights, better Policing, better law enforcement in court, better morals........not sure if I made my point but Better = USA! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AdamTheFarang said:

Denied citizenship = Racist = Get your family out and live in America, better education, better medical care, better salary, better choice of climate, better language English the international language (for your child) compared to Thai which is a tiny language in comparison, better human rights, better Policing, better law enforcement in court, better morals........not sure if I made my point but Better = USA! 

could not disagree more. my business partner lived in phuket for many years and went west for his kids education. fair enough. they are doing their a levels now so will be at uni next year and him and his mrs will be back asap.

live in america? each to their own.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

What an arrogant statement.

Why don't you go out and ask a few Thai people on the streets whether they share your opinion that 80,000 baht net income per month is "hardly over the top"?

An income of 2,100 euros in Europe may be rather on the low side. But here in Thailand it isn't. I would dare say there are few locals upcountry who can boast such a salary.

But coming back to Udom: He basically grew up in Thailand, speaks the language fluently, supports a wife and child, has integrated well and (so I assume) lives a rather simple life on a modest Thai income. For all intents and purposes, he has become a local.

If the only excuse the Thai government deploys in denying him his citizenship is the outrageous requirement that he must prove three consecutive years of taxed monthly incomes that are a multiple of what the average citizen earns, then it only goes to show the contempt Thailand's authorities have for foreigners, whom they obviously only see as milking cows.

If European countries used the same sole yardstick, demanding that Thai people who wanted to gain citizenship had to show taxed incomes that are three or four times higher than what an average European employee makes, there hardly would be any Thai people living in Europe at all, no matter how well adapted and integrated they may have become.

And guess who would be first to raise a ruckus over such "unfair" or "racist" treatment? Exactly, it would be the Thai government! 

"But coming back to Udom: He basically grew up in Thailand"

That was my first thought on reading the OP too.  OK, he wasn't born here - but has lived here since primary school!

He seems to have assimilated well and, as you say "For all intents and purposes, he has become a local".  Which is why it's disappointing that he still finds it impossible to obtain Thai citizenship. ☹️

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

"But coming back to Udom: He basically grew up in Thailand"

That was my first thought on reading the OP too.  OK, he wasn't born here - but has lived here since primary school!

He seems to have assimilated well and, as you say "For all intents and purposes, he has become a local".  Which is why it's disappointing that he still finds it impossible to obtain Thai citizenship. ☹️

the rules are simple. don't you agree with them? sure i feel for the guy but my god if they laxed the rules on that here can you imagine the vermin wanting citizenship

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

When it comes to people that have lived here since primary school and (most importantly) are considered 'locals' by the Thai community - then yes, I disagree with the rules.

yeah me too to a certain extent but it is what it is

i still agree with them tbh