adding a out side consumer unit

gmmarvin

Building a small one bedroom house (7mx7m).  Wife wants to add a covered patio later with a couple of lights and outlets.  Should I split the C.U. inside the house and add a small weather proof C.U. wired for later use?  Or is there a simpler way ?  As always, thanks for your advice.  P.S. Not our main house.  House is for visiting family. 

1 hour ago, gmmarvin said:

Wife wants to add a covered patio later with a couple of lights and outlets.  Should I split the C.U. inside the house and add a small weather proof C.U. wired for later use?  Or is there a simpler way

It probably depends on the number of free slots available in your current C.U. You can use that or add another one.

We have just just had some outside lighting and power added and I decided that it should have its own RCBO and MCB's together with its own time switch so adding another C.U. made it simple to understand what is where. It isn't weather proof as it is inside the house.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 8:51 AM, gmmarvin said:

Thanks for your response.  I will run two lines from my C.U. one 15 A for lights and  one 20 A for outlets.  Bundle them in a weather proof box for later use.

15A for lights! Do you mean the circuit breaker or the capacity of the cable. 

6A CB for lighting is normally well sufficient. 

10A is 2200 Watts. @ a supply V of 220v