More Phuket monkeys to be sterilised next month

webfact

More Phuket monkeys to be sterilised next month

By Chutharat Plerin

1534849249_1-org.jpg

A monkey sits at the monkey viewpoint at Koh Siray. Photo: Natural and Wildlife Education Centre

PHUKET: The Director of the Natural and Wildlife Education Centre at Khao Phra Theaw has today confirmed that a further 250 monkeys will be sterilised as part of an ongoing project aimed at limiting the island’s growing monkey population.

Meanwhile, the chief, Pongchart Chouehorm, has also stated that the proposed monkey warning signs in four languages – English, Thai, Chinese and Russian – that were announced by Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong on Aug 2 (see story here) have now been installed at Rang Hill, Toh Sae Hill and Koh Siray.

Speaking to The Phuket News’ Thai-language sister paper Khao Phuket today (Aug 21), Mr Pongchart said, “Since the sterilisation project began, we have been monitoring the behaviour of monkeys at the designated. Most recently my team went to Koh Siray and found that the monkeys are living as normal. There has been no change in their behaviour since the sterilisation took place.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/more-phuket-monkeys-to-be-sterilised-next-month-68327.php#d9OUZsm0XH5emoor.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-08-22

Mr Pongchart added, “In order to comply with the policy ordered by Phuket Governor Norraphat Poldthong, CCTV cameras will be used to monitor the areas in case tourists are disobedient. The rules will enforced and tourists must comply with them.”

"Rules will be enforced" One of two options spring to my cynical mind:

1. It's purely lip service.

2. Do I see a money-making opportunity here for someone?

Archived