Gen Chatchai is confident Thailand to be deleted from IUU watchlist

webfact

chatchai-sarikulya-17-nov-17.jpg

Gen Chatchai

Deputy Prime Minister Chatchai Sarikulya is optimistic that Thailand will be removed from the IUU (illegal, unreported, unregulated) fishery watchlist after the scheduled arrival in Thailand in late September or early October of a delegation from the European Union to assess Thailand’s performance in addressing IUU problem.

General Chatchai said that Thailand has made progress in several areas related to the IUU problem more than those demanded by the EU.

He said he would submit to the Cabinet for consideration as quick as possible the plan to use 3 billion baht budget to buy 680 fishing boats from their owners in a bid to reduce the excessive number of fishing vessels in the country.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/gen-chatchai-is-confident-thailand-to-be-deleted-from-iuu-watchlist/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-08-27

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Deputy Prime Minister Chatchai Sarikulya is optimistic that Thailand will be removed from the IUU (illegal, unreported, unregulated) fishery watchlist after the scheduled arrival in Thailand in late September or early October of a delegation from the European Union to assess Thailand’s performance in addressing IUU problem.

delusional; most thai leaders are really just entertainers

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said he would submit to the Cabinet for consideration as quick as possible the plan to use 3 billion baht budget to buy 680 fishing boats from their owners in a bid to reduce the excessive number of fishing vessels in the country.

I wonder how many committees monitored this "plan". Also, another nice round figure - I'm always amazed at how things in Thailand always cost a nice round "billion number" when the government's involved  ? 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Working conditions and pay on Thai fishing boats is so bad that most Thais refuse to work them.

The Ministry of Labour has announced an initiative to import 40,000 foreign workers slaves from Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. After some time they too will realise they are being exploited and do a runner to find other work. Then later they will be rounded up as unregistered workers and exported back to where they came from. And so the cycle continues; such is the workings of this inane government.

4 hours ago, YetAnother said:

delusional; most thai leaders are really just entertainers

Poor entertainers at that...

just the other day the fisheries owners were demanding cheap labour to be fast-tracked or imported to keep the business afloat !!!

7 hours ago, webfact said:

the scheduled arrival in Thailand in late September or early October of a delegation from the European Union to assess Thailand’s performance in addressing IUU problem.

A key to that assessment might be Thailand's ratification of the C188 Work in Fishing Convention.

However,  National Fisheries Association of Thailand’s president Mongkhon Sukcharoenwattana recently stated that the permanent secretary for Labor Ministry assured that there is no plan to ratify the convention anytime soon.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30352008  

Without Thailand's ratification of the C188 convention, I don't see the EU removing Thailand from the fishery IUU watchlist.

5 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Working conditions and pay on Thai fishing boats is so bad that most Thais refuse to work them.

Prayut is well aware of working conditions on the Thai fishing vessels:

"Junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha on Tuesday said he could make no commitment as the main reason for the labor shortage is that workers don’t want to enter an industry notorious for imposing slave-like working conditions."

(my bold emphasis)

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/08/08/thai-fishermen-call-off-strike-for-now/

The shortage is about 50,000 workers.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30351244

Thai 'confidence' is nearly always contrary to reality.

I - for example - am 'confident' that I can fly to Mars, Venus and Neptune. I am even 'confident' that I can fly to a parallel universe.

Oh wait! I am already living in one!

Clearly this is a guy does not read the international media reports on Thailand's fishing irregularities.  We know most Thais are not aware that there is adverse reporting outside of Thailand but for those in governmental positions then of course they are aware so it is either a case of being delusional or else absolutely lying to enhance his position in the Junta trough.

14 hours ago, webfact said:

as quick as possible the plan to use 3 billion baht budget to buy 680 fishing boats from their owners

Real quick: get in just in time before those heaps of rotting wood are thrown onto a scrap heap and do a special deal with the owners. They have only been kept running by use of slave labour and are inadequate now there are rules about toilets, beds, game rooms etc.

Archived