Certificate Of Residency

terrymor66

I searched thru all the info about getting my certicate of residency here on TV. I went to immigration first, and they said I would have to wait for my 1 year visa extension to kick in ( currently on a 90 day non - o ). So I gathered all my documents ( lease agreement and so on )and headed down to the US Embassy here in Chiang Mai. Got the number, went to the window, told him I was buying a truck and needed the cert. to register and buy the truck in my name. He gave me a simple form to fill out with my address on it and a bit of other info. Took it back to him, paid 1140 Baht. Sat back down, waited to be called again, went back up, they had a stamped seal on the document, had me sign it then he notorized it and said good luck. Then I was out the door. They never asked to see any documents that I had to support where I was living or anything. Just fill out the form and attest that you are not lying and you are good to go. Much simpler than I anticipated :o

They never asked to see any documents that I had to support where I was living or anything. Just fill out the form and attest that you are not lying and you are good to go. Much simpler than I anticipated :o

The process actually used to be that simple at the Chiang Mai immigrations office.

Well just to present the other side. Went to Chiang Mai Immigration to get 2 Certificates of Residency. Fortunately I do have a 1 year visa. Presented them with one set of lease agreement and other paperwork they now request and filled out the form. I asked for a second form as I needed two, and they said simpy label reasons 1) and 2) on the same form.

Finished and out the door in approximately 15 minutes, no fee.

I should also mention that even though I was shot down at Immigration, they were quite nice about it and told me that I should have no problems getting one from my embassy. They were very polite and explained the new rule issues they had to deal with. Although tedious, overall good learning experience :o