Phuket mops up after storm lashes island, plunges businesses into darkness

webfact

Phuket mops up after storm lashes island, plunges businesses into darkness

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1537158325_1-org.jpg

A video posted by Aroon Solos shows the howling winds breaking large panes of glass on the catwalk joining the two Central Phuket shopping mall buildings. Screengrab: Aroon Solos

PHUKET: The Phuket Provincial Office of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM-Phuket) this morning reported that they had not received any reports of damage to houses or structures from yesterday’s battering by strong winds and driving rain.

At the height of the storm, wind speeds in and around Phuket Town exceeeded 46km/h and more than 54mm of rainfall was recorded in one three-hour period.

Before the storm arrived, the DDPM national office in Bangkok issued a “yellow warning” for many areas across the country, including Phuket Phang Nga and Krabi.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-mops-up-after-storm-lashes-island-plunges-businesses-into-darkness-68655.php#rF6rkM0WGz2ek8CF.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-09-17

Central apologises for damage to the new overpass walkway

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

151971.jpg

PHOTOS: Newshawk Phuket

The management of the Central shopping centre has apologised to Phuketians following a storm that battered part of the new building yesterday (September 16). Sunday afternoon wind and rain storms caused damage on some of the fixings to the new overpass structure. No one was injured.

“We apologise to every costumer that was faced with this incident at the store. We immediately checked and fixed the connection walkway (between the Central Festival and Central Floresta.”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/central-apologises-for-damage-to-the-new-overpass-walkway

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-09-17

17 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Always wonder with the way Thai's build things what would happen if a serious Earthquake, Hurricane or whatever struck Bangkok ?    The one thing i do know is that i won't be there when it happens !

What are you, psychic?

21 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Always wonder with the way Thai's build things what would happen if a serious Earthquake, Hurricane or whatever struck Bangkok ?    The one thing i do know is that i won't be there when it happens !

We are not on any major fault lines, so larger scale Earthquakes are not something we need to worry about.

Hurricanes happen in Atlantic. Not a problem as well. Typhoons happen mostly above 10th latitude, so at least here in Phuket, we should be safe. 

Flooding. We are living in an island here in Phuket. Flash floods happen every now and then, but that's nothing to compare to places where the rain collection area is huge, like in Northern Thailand -> Bangkok. 

3 hours ago, CLW said:
5 hours ago, Thian said:
mai pen lai, they were cheap thin glass so who cares?

I think they have come out of the frame and not really broke like when you hit them with a ball etc...

Thats exactly what happened. I was in Central on Sunday and walked past there. Several of the large windows had simply fallen out of the frame. 
Also there were no doors to the external staircases from the road up to the walkway. So with the strong wind the rain blew right into the walkway. Not sure if there were no doors in the first place or if they got blown out too.

Either way a big mess.

But it wasn't the windows and doors alone. Rain also came through the ceiling where they connected the walkway with the entrance to the old Central.

So overall it just looks like a really crappy job by the developer.

26 minutes ago, thaibutty said:

Thats exactly what happened. I was in Central on Sunday and walked past there. Several of the large windows had simply fallen out of the frame. 
Also there were no doors to the external staircases from the road up to the walkway. So with the strong wind the rain blew right into the walkway. Not sure if there were no doors in the first place or if they got blown out too.

Either way a big mess.

But it wasn't the windows and doors alone. Rain also came through the ceiling where they connected the walkway with the entrance to the old Central.

So overall it just looks like a really crappy job by the developer.

"World class hub" indeed ?

2 hours ago, Goldieinkathu said:

"World class hub" indeed ?

In other news: they are planning to develop a "smart city" which even tracks the health of pets. I wonder how that is going to work out if they can't even keep the power up during low season. We had 3 major blackouts in Chalong during the last week. 

Maybe build a dumb but reliable power supply for the entire island first before you go for smart cities.

That would actually be a smart move ?

Archived