Replacing Battery MacBook

anon537687643

I replaced my MBA's battery after 3 years of usage. It was worth of the money.  I did in a shop in Phuket. 

I think most of the replacement batteries are genuine.

I did it (had it done, I mean) at iCare at Future Rangsit.

The cost is almost entirely for the battery, very little to be saved by doing it yourself.

They had to order the battery which took some time. I was not able to find anyplace - and I tried multiple locations both in Bkk and Saraburi area - that had battery in stock.

I initially tried, without success, to get them to order it first so I could come in only once to have it installed. Nothing doing.  Have to go in (bringing the computer as somehow they can't work with being given model, year and serial number). But I was able to ignore their insistence on an appointment and just show up, and also avoid having to leave the computer with them for what would have been an unknown number of days just waiting for the battery to arrive.  I simply said no, not leaving it, I'll come back with it when the battery arrives and they were OK with that. They did not however call me when it arrived (as they said they would), I had to call them to find out.

Wasn't cheap, I think battery cost around 5-6K. But worth it to have decent battery life back.

Sounds like you had a normal experience when fixing products in Thailand. The repair shop also wish to have their backs covered and that's probably why they required to see your laptop. I guess some folks have offered them wrong information by phone / email and they have ordered a battery, which wasn't correct to the customer's computer and became unused stock item.

We pay very little for the work and the service of these items, mostly because the shops don't have to cover the costs of unusable stock items, like in the better shops in west must bear. 

I felt really happy to get my laptop's battery life back to what it was at the beginning. There was no reason to buy a new laptop anymore. 

@oilinki - I need to change my Macbook Pro battery (Retina, early 2015) as it has started to swell. I have a new battery for it already (a friend brought it back from the UK) and I have know how to do it. But ... It looks a more daunting task as the existing battery is glued into the housing. Can you let me know which shop in Phuket you used? I would need to get it done with the minimum disruption as I need it every day. On a Saturday over weekend would suit best.

I also have an older Macbook Pro with charging problems. I have renewed the battery but that has not solved the problem so I have bought a new dc power jack board to fit. However, this also requires the removal of the main board, which is a more complex job. Ideally, I would also like the shop to do this job too.

Thanks.

I used one Mac & Windows shop at downstairs of BigC. It was easy to replace and I could have done it by myself. 

Chern talee has Phuket My Mac, which I recommend highly! Really professional Apple specific repair shop. I trust them more than the authorised repair shop at Phuket town.

They helped me to rescue my MBA, when I had a coffee incident. Authorised shop would have replaced the whole motherboard, which would have cost 20K. At Phuket my Mac the cost was 6000 baht as they only replaced required parts. I think I got 3 months warranty for the job. 

You can get many poor quality batteries from outlets mentioned on here, half the price or less! Don’t , I can talk from experience ! The old saying “ you get what you pay for “

Buy original from Singapore or be sure the franchises in Bangkok gets it from there!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• 5 weeks later...