Welcome to the world: Thailand ready to stage historic MotoGP

webfact

Prepare for utter chaos: since there are not nearly enough beds in all of Isan to hold that many Moto-GP-fans (and teams and crews and drivers...), they will stay in Bangkok and start their journey North-East in the morning and return in the evening...roads will be blocked, accidents will happen, people will die...

36 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Prepare for utter chaos: since there are not nearly enough beds in all of Isan to hold that many Moto-GP-fans (and teams and crews and drivers...), they will stay in Bangkok and start their journey North-East in the morning and return in the evening...roads will be blocked, accidents will happen, people will die...

Sorry to disappoint you but the teams, including riders will stay in Buri Ram, they have to be at the track by 7am for a start. They will have booked out the Amari etc, and no doubt a few nice houses will be rented to them as well. If you left Bangkok at 5am you would not be anywhere near Buri Ram by 9. Anyway most of the fans will be Thai they are used to chaos

Edited by Bluetongue
  • Like 1

Let’s hope their successful and it becomes annual event. Hopefully its

a success and brings more Moto and Car races.....

I’m sure the first event may have some rough edges but they’ll be sorted

out.

Good on them 

48 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Let’s hope their successful and it becomes annual event. Hopefully its

a success and brings more Moto and Car races.....

I’m sure the first event may have some rough edges but they’ll be sorted

out.

Good on them 

WSB has held races there for a couple of years now. Very popular with the teams. Moto GP will remain at least in the short term. It will become popular with the riders, not so much with the international community of fans. 

Gee this site has done morons. Just read the climate change comments. What a bunch of ignorant dinosaurs commenting. Same with this thread.

I crossed the border from Cambodia about three years ago and headed for Buriram. To see the footie ground and racetrack. Great little town, nice expats, the football stadium was amazing. I still have the shirts I bought. There was a moto event on at the circuit when I was there. I learnt that there were several events a year including a sports GT event.

It is a GP standard track but the lack of hotel rooms means no GP.

Suggest members get out more, whinging old poms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

How often will this "track" be used this year after this one gala affair?  Or is it to be only a one occasion ripoff?  Just curious.

They also host the Super GT series, japans most popular touring car racing series. I believe the track is even certify to host the F1 but the fees are way too high.

There are numerous local race series that are held there throughout the year too.

Also not mentioned is that the track also holds a large number of corporate days. It is the only FIA grade 1 and FIM grade A circuit in Thailand. The only controversy is that Valentino Rossi has described it as boring to ride.

I should also add that the Buriram airport  terminal is only able to hold 300 passengers. You'll be lucky to find any accomodation with 60km of Buriram for this event. Rooms in houses have been going for 1500b a night.

How often will this "track" be used this year after this one gala affair?  Or is it to be only a one occasion ripoff?  Just curious.

Incidentally, the so-called planned "activities, and entertainment"  do not seem particularly interesting, unusual or different from other events Thais put on but then maybe the only attendees will be Thais.  How many non-Thai visitors will know or be interested in listening to local groups singing in Thai or very poor English and watch a "Muay Thai Expo and bouts featuring legendary Muay Thai boxers such as Samart Payakaroon and Somluck Kamsing" who are probably not known outside of Thailand.

'nuf sed

The circuit is used once or twice a month for cars and bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There is no way they will get 100,000 people. I think Assen is the only circuit that gets that many. Still, I am sure they will doctor the attendance figures !  The traffic will be chaotic.  Pity all the big truck drivers bringing the equipment and bikes from BKK. Its a long slow journey.

For the bike race earlier this year they had 75,000 across the weekend.

• Like 1

The outlawed politican Khun Chit-chob  hails from Bring-me-rum province.  
He started up his own fa-lung soccer team + stadium out there.  I suppose he will be involved in this event .

I went to a F1 race once . The cars just go round and round and round again.  Nothing happens.
F##king  boring. Much rather watch female beach volleyball with isaan girls in Foooket.

The circuit is owned by the Chidchob family and shares the site with the best football stadium and facilities in Thailand.

Incidentally, the so-called planned "activities, and entertainment"  do not seem particularly interesting, unusual or different from other events Thais put on but then maybe the only attendees will be Thais.  How many non-Thai visitors will know or be interested in listening to local groups singing in Thai or very poor English and watch a "Muay Thai Expo and bouts featuring legendary Muay Thai boxers such as Samart Payakaroon and Somluck Kamsing" who are probably not known outside of Thailand.

'nuf sed
The two times I've been to Buriram in recent years the track has been in use - motorcycle racing. Good bikes too, something like superbike racing. And I just 'happened' to be there, not for those events.

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Upcountry i can't even order a hotdog in the 711 because they have no idea what i mean......

Will be fun to hear what the European racers eat in Buriram.....i bet they bring cans of beans with them.

There’s an abundance of ‘foreign’ food available in Buriram now, plus lots of bars and pubs too.

Also not mentioned is that the track also holds a large number of corporate days. It is the only FIA grade 1 and FIM grade A circuit in Thailand. The only controversy is that Valentino Rossi has described it as boring to ride.
I should also add that the Buriram airport  terminal is only able to hold 300 passengers. You'll be lucky to find any accomodation with 60km of Buriram for this event. Rooms in houses have been going for 1500b a night.

Did you mean B1500? Mine was snapped up at B10,000 for 3 bedrooms and 60kms from the circuit.

3 hours ago, TEFLKrabi said:

There’s an abundance of ‘foreign’ food available in Buriram now, plus lots of bars and pubs too.

That's great but if the vendors can't understand me (because of the TEFL teachers) in english i won't go there at all....it's very frustrating while standing in front of the hotdog oven and ordering one while the vendor has no idea what a hotdog is...even not when you point at them through the glass.

It would be great to see a European racingteam in a Thai 711 in Buriram....i hope the soidogs at the doors will let them in or they'll be famous on the European tv.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

That's great but if the vendors can't understand me (because of the TEFL teachers) in english i won't go there at all....it's very frustrating while standing in front of the hotdog oven and ordering one while the vendor has no idea what a hotdog is...even not when you point at them through the glass.

It would be great to see a European racingteam in a Thai 711 in Buriram....i hope the soidogs at the doors will let them in or they'll be famous on the European tv.

so the locals don't understand you ? or do they and they just try to make life difficult for you because they can see you are an ass !

please stop with the negative comments, you are only displaying your ignorance.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, moose7117 said:

so the locals don't understand you ? or do they and they just try to make life difficult for you because they can see you are an ass !

please stop with the negative comments, you are only displaying your ignorance.

I don't make negative comments, i 'm just writing the truth here...it's the same as at the macdonalds in BKK where they don't know what a hamburger is. Soooo Thai.

Try it and see what you think of Buriram. You might be pleasantly surprised. They’ve been working really hard to make this a success and it will be a great event.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Try it and see what you think of Buriram. You might be pleasantly surprised. They’ve been working really hard to make this a success and it will be a great event.

I love cars and motobikes but don't like races on a circuit which are boring. Also it's more fun to see it at home on the tv.

6 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Yep, they are dying in their tens of thousands year on year.

They don't really need any further encouragement.

Obviously money talks but I question the wisdom of holding motorsport events, especially motorbike racing in Thailand with its appalling record of having the most road deaths in the World. 

Nakarin Atiratphuvapat is a young Thai rider who's raced in Moto 3 for the last couple of seasons. Will be racing in Buriram. I can see more Thai riders getting rides in the future as they're comparatively small and start at a young age.

22 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Yep, they are dying in their tens of thousands year on year.

They don't really need any further encouragement.

Obviously money talks but I question the wisdom of holding motorsport events, especially motorbike racing in Thailand with its appalling record of having the most road deaths in the World. 

and the more of them that go to track days and learn to ride properly the safer they will be, clearly motorcycling is dangerous even in a Western country. We farangs are not at all an example in this regard. Are we to curtail all dangerous activity because of the many wowsers such as yourself who would rather young people stare at a phone all day before getting their prescription glasses. There are too many wowsers in the world these days, they don't need any encouragement. If you don't like it perhaps you go and watch a flower arrangement contest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2018 at 1:08 AM, Thian said:

I'm sorry my friend but you canhardly blame the TEFL teachers if a Thai vendor cannot make head nor tail of your mangled syntax...

????

• Like 1