marriage visa

On September 7, I came into Thailand on a 90 day, single entry, Non O visa. I want to apply for a multi entry 1 year marriage visa.  I think I have everything I need to do this and want to know:

May I come to the consulate in Mukdahan to apply or do I need to cross into Laos to go to the consulate in Savannakhet Should my wife come with me? How much is the fee? Do I need an appointment? Is there an application to fill out?

I will bring with me a copy of my Thai bank book(I have almost 500,00 baht on deposit since August 1), 2 passport size photos, photos of my wife and I, a copy of our marriage certificate in Thai and English, my wife’s Tabien Bahn, a map to our home in Isan, my passport and a copy of my passport, and a copy of my wife’s I.D. – is this all that I need to apply?

I have never made a visa run before and admit I am a little apprehensive.

Please advise as much as you can. Thank you.

With at least 400k baht in the bank for 2 months you could apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at the designated immigration office for where you are living. Then get a single or multiple re-entry permit.

With a extension of stay you do not have to leave the country every 90 days which is what you have to do with a multiple entry non-o visa you apply for at Savannakhet.

To apply for non-o visa in Savannakhet you only need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card. No need for the map and etc you mentioned. No need for financial proof as well.

41 minutes ago, price said:

May I come to the consulate in Mukdahan to apply or do I need to cross into Laos to go to the consulate in Savannakhet Should my wife come with me? How much is the fee? Do I need an appointment? Is there an application to fill out?

You seem to be asking about applying for a 1 year extension of stay (permit) from immigration, not a visa from a embassy/consulate.

Yes, you can apply in Mukdahan if you live within their catchment area. Your wife must be with you. It costs 1,900 baht. No appointment. Form TM.7 (APPLICATION FOR EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY IN THE KINGDOM).

You can only apply within the last 30 days (maybe 45) of your current 90 days permit to stay. So you won't be able to apply until mid/late October or early November. Day 1 of the 1 year extension will be your day 91 regardless of how early you apply.

41 minutes ago, price said:

I will bring with me a copy of my Thai bank book(I have almost 500,00 baht on deposit since August 1), 2 passport size photos, photos of my wife and I, a copy of our marriage certificate in Thai and English, my wife’s Tabien Bahn, a map to our home in Isan, my passport and a copy of my passport, and a copy of my wife’s I.D. – is this all that I need to apply?

You seem to have the general requirements covered. They might want form TM.30 completed by the owner, or house-master, or possessor of the property you are staying at along with a copy of the owners ID/Tabian Baan. It is always best to visit your office before applying to confirm what they want. Requirements vary between office.

Edited by elviajero

Joe,

The nearest immigration office to me is, I believe, in Sisaket or Ubon Ratchthani. It would certainly be much easier to drive there - only 1 hour away - to apply for the marriage extension.

I gather you are from Ubon. It would be nice to meet you if we travel to Ubon for this as I do not have many English speaking friends yet here in Thailand other than my Thai wife who lived with me in the USA for 12 years. At the same time I would not want to impose on you.

Thanks for the advice

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, price said:

The nearest immigration office to me is, I believe, in Sisaket or Ubon Ratchthani.

You will do it at the immigration office in Sisaket since Rasi Salai district is in Sisaket province.

Map showing the location is here. https://goo.gl/maps/ErHF86756tN2

Here is my general list of document and etc for the extension application. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

• 2 weeks later...