2mth Tourist Visa From Saigon

HI

48 year old Irish Passport holder wanting to apply at the Thai Embassy in Saigon next week for a 2 month tourist visa. Anyone heard of refusals from here?

-I just did 2 months plus one month extention on a tourist visa from Laos. OK if I just forget about the 90 days out thing and apply now to come right back?

-For an onward ticket (which I understand is required), can I just show a cheap ticket to somewhere nearby in Asia? :o

Thanks

Onefortheroad

-

Abot Saigon I have no idea,will not surprise me if they work in the same way as Phnom Penh,and I do know that they will not give easy,if they do,it will be your last over there,at least you could try it.About a unward ticket:if you have a visa in your passport it is not required!

On a VOA you proberly do have,but is also about the imm officer who check you in at the moment.When it is very busy they will proberly not bother or ask you.They never ever even asked me something,and I fly in and out for 8 years regularly or pass the border by land and also never asked something....I do not know why.

I was in HCMC(Saigon) last October with my Vietnamese girlfriend,and we went to the Thai embassy there to get her a 60 day T/V in order for her to come here with me(I have a retirement visa here in Thailand)The embassy was not very busy ,we went there three times,the first time to enquire,the second time to hand in the passport and forms,and the last time to collect the passport and visa.Twice there was one other person there,and one time we were the only people there.The lady behind the desk was very friendly and helpful. My girlfriend is now back there in Vietnam (for their New Year),having done one 30 day border run in the meantime to Cambodia,and as far as I know she has obtained another 60 day T/V from the Thai embassy, without any problems,although I haven't seen her passport yet to see if there are any stamps to say she cannot apply again.I got the impression that they do not issue a lot of visas there,and are unlikely to be as obstructive as the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh.I will be there again in May to hopefully obtain an "ED" visa for her.I will update this thread if there is any new information

I have re-read my last post,and I think I need to clarify a couple of things.When I said "I got the impression they do not issue a lot of visas there" what I MEANT was that they aren't busy,NOT that they refuse a lot of people.Sorry that it wasn't phrased clearly. The embassy were very helpful and polite,and not in the least obstructive.They did not put a stamp in the passport to the effect of "Don't apply here again" like you get in Phnom Penh.My girlfriend did need to show a return ticket to Vietnam,although I presume if she had a ticket out of Thailand to some other destination that would have been OK as well.I also needed to show my airticket, passport and visa for Thailand,and sign a letter as guarantor that I would be responsible for any costs incurred by her,and guarantee that she would abide by the conditions of her visa.I wasn't with her when she got her second T/V and haven't seen the passport yet,but I asked her if she had any problems getting it,and she said No

Hi

Me again. End of the story for me was I got the visa OK and another 2 months on entry. Hardly anybody uses this Embassy in Saigon and the staff there are friendly and not very demanding.

I had brought in an onward ticket to show that I would leave thailand after one month. The Hanoi embassy had asked me for that ticket. In Saigon I showed it to them and they were not interested and gave it back to me. They did want to see the air ticket in to thailand from Saigon. I got the impression that a bus ticket would not be enough. The air ticket Saigon to Bangkok is US$200. Perhaps this is why visa runners do not use this route.. WHere-as you can fly bangkok to Hanoi for around $50 one way.

• 6 months later...
Abot Saigon I have no idea,will not surprise me if they work in the same way as Phnom Penh,and I do know that they will not give easy,if they do,it will be your last over there,at least you could try it.About a unward ticket:if you have a visa in your passport it is not required!

On a VOA you proberly do have,but is also about the imm officer who check you in at the moment.When it is very busy they will proberly not bother or ask you.They never ever even asked me something,and I fly in and out for 8 years regularly or pass the border by land and also never asked something....I do not know why.

Tijnebijn,

Do you mean you still are doing it NOW ??? i mean do you still pass the border by land on a VOA without asking anything by Immigration officers ? Or have you always bought a visa, whatever which one ?

What i also wonder is this ? Suppose i go to the border by land after my TV has expired, go out and come back in again on a VOA, would they allow me to do that ? And would they then also allow me to make 2 visaruns so i can stay here 90 days in a period of 180 days ? Without asking to show a ticket that i leave the country within 30 days ?

=> I know that i ask a lot, but you never know ; And i'm also sure that here on the forum are many people who would like to know the same !

Thanks in advance !

• 1 month later...

It is when you check in with the airline where you really need to show an onward ticket if you are doing VOA. If you do not have a ticket out of Thailand, or a visa, the airline will probably not let you board the plane to Thailand.