Elite Card Not So Elite Anymore...

Psst.... Hey, ummm ya think we should reduce the price of a uselsess elite card from 1 million baht to ohhh 50K people would then buy it?

I would, if they continue with the 5 year visa and renewable every 5 years. I wouldn't care much about the other privileges, like the golfing, spa and the craps. Not like it is free when you are a member. You would still needs to pay upfront for it. But the 5 year visa would come in extremely useful. Think about it. No more 30 days visa border run up to 90 days in total in 180 days, no more 60 days tourist visa extendable by another 30 days upon application and payment fee of bht1900. :D

I do not knows about you guys or gals out there, but I would certainly go for it. Maybe it is because I do not have the eligiblilty to apply for any other types of visa, therefore this would be the best call for me, and many others in my shoes. :o

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The punters that paid a million baht are not going to be happy chappies :o

Many of the people who actually paid money may take the attitude that they can afford to

write-off the difference,

Rich people are usually rich because they don't take this attitude.

I would have thought this as well but I'm sure I have read comments by cardholders in more than

one of the 64 thaivisa threads sriracha john referred to that gave this impression..........

If you go back and look at those 64 previous threads, how many posts predicted something like this? It was always a scam. BTW, click the link at the top of the page and see what their site says about this- nothing. Everything is just fine.....

I'd almost be willing to bet one million baht that if they do offer this card at the lowered "50,000 baht, but with reduced benefits" scheme, that it won't include the 5 year renewable visa.

With the entire operation switching to TAT, I would foresee some discount coupons to travel destinations within Thailand... a couple of spa visits... and three rounds of golf, or some such nonsense.

Edited by sriracha john

screw all the other privaledges, if they want to let me have a 5 year visa for 60,000 baht, tell me where to sign up and i'll be first in the queue for the new elite card.

BB

I'll be in a queue right behind you, 5 year visa for 60,000 would be fantastic.

what exactly is the definition/are the details of that "5 year visa"? no annual renewal anymore but still reporting every 90 days at an immigration office? no more THB 800k needed? enlighten me please.

The punters that paid a million baht are not going to be happy chappies :o

Many of the people who actually paid money may take the attitude that they can afford to

write-off the difference,

Rich people are usually rich because they don't take this attitude.

yes, there are rich people and there are wannabees who have been watching far too much Robin Leach crap on television.

Even as a scam the Elite Card was very poorly done.

P.T. Barnum was dead right 150 years ago.

Elite Card lives on, but may be much cheaper than B1m

CHATRUDEE THEPARAT

The much-criticised Thailand Elite Card programme will be overhauled to do away with the existing system of distributors and country partners, the Tourism Authority of Thailand board said yesterday.

//edit - please do not quote full stories - lopburi3//

http://www.bangkokpost.net/Business/14Feb2007_biz35.php

Is it possible that the Government looked at the card and how it is being used and discovered that it wasn't what they intended. I think that was to smooth the way for rich visitors to come to Thailand with minimal Immigration hassel. The places I use don't charge enough to give discounts, so it was never for me. The retirement visa is, and I wonder if people who appear to be cheating on this in the governments eyes could have a similar affect on it. I am prepared to accept that there will be something new on renewal every year, I just hope that the genuine non-working retirees out number those who are cheating.

Hardly likely, considering that one of the stated reasons for the abolition of the investment visa was to make it harder for those who had got their money illegally to use it to get bonafide visas.

If it now takes just 50,000 to get one, the floodgates will be opened.

Another policy announcement lacking over half the details.

They're amateurishness is quite incredible.

Over the following weeks, we can expect some flim-flamming leading to much confusion and debate over what is happening.

Why don't the policymakers think through the idea and sketch out the broad details at least before leaping to make an announcement which they find they have to retract a few weeks later?

I guess if your a single under 50 the elite card would be a good idea. I'm not sure why a person married to a Thai would want one. 1900 x 5 years = 9500 baht. This is still cheaper than 50,000 baht.

Thailand Elite Card = Over Glorified Tourist Visa

The argument about elite card holders spending more money doesn't really hold much water either. How long are these elite card holders here for to spend their 20,000 baht a day. I spend about 800,000 baht a year being married in Thailand. All I have is a non-immigrit-O with yearly extensions.

The money for Thailand is not in the elite card holders but rather in the holders of non-immigrit visas.

The Thailand elite card is just a way for the Thai government to pick up all of the other single tourist on a tourist visa living in Thailand and provide them with a legal way to live here full time.

I'm sure organized crime will be happy with that.

Edited by richard10365

I'm not sure why a person married to a Thai would want one. 1900 x 5 years = 9500 baht. This is still cheaper than 50,000 baht.

True, but imagine not having to even think about visas for 5 years? No immigration; wondering whether somehow you've forgotten one of the unlisted but required items and will get kicked out of the country tomorrow when you fail to meet this year's visa regulations.

I'm not sure why a person married to a Thai would want one. 1900 x 5 years = 9500 baht. This is still cheaper than 50,000 baht.

True, but imagine not having to even think about visas for 5 years? No immigration; wondering whether somehow you've forgotten one of the unlisted but required items and will get kicked out of the country tomorrow when you fail to meet this year's visa regulations.

So your saying there is no 90 day reporting?

It's started already. Confusion reigns.

You can bet your bottom dollar everyone in Immigration and Elite Card plc hasn't got a clue. They're sitting around waiting for a ruling from on high. So it's a moot point to debate the pros and cons of the revised Elite Card as the terms and conditions have not been decided upon.

A committee set up to study the programme found that Elite Card members spent an average of 20,000 baht a day in Thailand, compared with about 4,000 baht for general tourists.

Last week at the minister's office. A desk, two chairs, a mechanical typewriter, piles of photocopies lying all over the place.

Two persons: The minister, and Khun Somchai, deputy assistant to the vice-secretary-general of the research and development department at Thai Elite Card Ltd.

Somchai!

Yes boss?

We must do something to increase the numbers of Elite Card holders. Any ideas?

Well, there is the study that Elite Card members spend 20000 Baht a day in Thailand. We would need one million of them to finance all our projects, and build my house in Phuket. But we only sold 300 cards so far, and not many are applying now.

Yes, if we could many more people, maybe one million, to get this card, all of Thailands financial problems would be solved. But why are the farangs not buying the card?

Maybe because it is too expensive?

Lets see: We sell the card for 50000 Baht, and sell one million, then we will have one million farangs spending 20000 Baht a day. Yes! That's it!

Last Year w had 13 Million Tourists. Now, if we would give the card for free to all at Immigration, they would then spend 20000 Baht a day, all of them! Do you think I could build a nice house for my family in Phuket too?

Edited by Sunny Valentine

Back in 2003 I visited one of the Elite-card-companies. Afterwards did my calculation and came to conclusion

a) not good for me, as no WP

'b) good for a friend/client who lives here and travels a lot.

My calculation ended with a saving of 1 million Baht within 4.5 years based on free airport-limo and savings of about 30% on the 'buy-one/get-one free tickets'. Said before, this is not a 2nd ticket free as e.g. BKK-SGN-BKK C-class might cost Baht 13000 but to get the 2nd for free one has to buy the first for full rice of around Baht 18000.

The permission to stay is an advantage, you do get a nice stamp and upon each arrival are allowed to stay for 90 days. If you stay longer a trip to immigration-office is necessary for extention at usual fee (Believe 1900). Should in fact one stay longer than 90 days an address-report might be necessary and can be done by mail.

A re-entry is not required for 5 years.

Those are the basics and I type this from memory. All the other advantages, green fee, free massages... figure for yourself. not worth it.

Finally, the calculation for my friend did not work out as the savings on tickets are connected to TG-flights whereas he prefers other carriers. But he likes the fast track at airport-immigration etc.

Now really needs to see what the new price and the new conditions will be.

It's started already. Confusion reigns.

You can bet your bottom dollar everyone in Immigration and Elite Card plc hasn't got a clue. They're sitting around waiting for a ruling from on high. So it's a moot point to debate the pros and cons of the revised Elite Card as the terms and conditions have not been decided upon.

In fairness Briggsy, this is not a policy statement. It's simply a proposal to be considered by whatever Government agencies for a decision. It's no different from any 'white paper' or proposal that any other government would put up for discussion, before the fine details are worked out and it's turned into legislation.

I think it's unfair to criticise at this stage. Better to wait and see the actual detail.

Sri Ratcha John......

Time for a poll ????????????????????????????

Do you mean on the visa issue with the new Elite?

OK, how would this sound?

Do you think they will offer a 5 year year visa with the new 50,000 baht EliteCard?

1. Yes, as a pie-in-the-sky dreamer I'm desperately hoping they will.

2. No, as a realist I deduce the chances of this happening are about as good as Thailand winning Ice Hockey gold at the next Winter Olympics.

Thailand In Olympics-era Hockey Record

Edited by sriracha john

Do you think they will offer a 5 year year visa with the new 50,000 baht EliteCard?

2. No, as a realist I deduce the chances of this happening are about as good as Thailand winning Ice Hockey gold at the next Winter Olympics.

Maybe you can add:

3. They will offer a one year visa with the new 50,000 baht Elite card.

I'd settle for that! But that would probably make things too simple!

Edited by DFCarlson

Maybe you can add:

3. They will offer a one year visa with the new 50,000 baht Elite card.

I'd settle for that! But that would probably make things too simple!

Keep 1 and 2 as the answers and simply modify the question to 1 year visa... it's still the same dream. :o

what exactly is the definition/are the details of that "5 year visa"? no annual renewal anymore but still reporting every 90 days at an immigration office? no more THB 800k needed? enlighten me please.

5 years visa with multiple re-entries. Each entry into Thailand entitles you to a 90 day stay. If you wishes to remain in the Kingdom for more than 90 days, you can apply for a further 90 days at any immigration office. And the cycle continue. There is no need to leave the Kingdom and re-enter with a new visa as your Elite Card gives you a 5 year visa. And there is no 800k attached to this arrangement. Hope this helps clear your mind.