Changing Vietnamese Dong to Thai Baht in Bangkok

Hi guys,

I'm working in Hanoi at the moment and move back to BKK in a few weeks. I'll have about 40 million dong (about 55k baht) in cash that I'll need to exchange. I see that Super Rich list it as a currency that they buy. Is this the case if I go to one of their branches or are they hesitant to exchange VND to THB? The last post I could find on this was from 2014. If anyone has any fairly recent experience of this or knows anyone who has, then I'd really appreciate some info.

Thanks in advance.

You can use the company that you mention (Superrich), but from my experience the rate for VND on their website will only apply at their branch on Rajadamri. I do not know how the rates at SVB compare to those in Rajadamri, but in locations in Bangkok rate will be significantly lower/worse (for VND).

19 hours ago, rimmae2 said:

You can use the company that you mention (Superrich), but from my experience the rate for VND on their website will only apply at their branch on Rajadamri. I do not know how the rates at SVB compare to those in Rajadamri, but in locations in Bangkok rate will be significantly lower/worse (for VND).

"...the rate for VND on their website will only apply at their branch on Rajadamri".

Do you mean Grand Superrich or one of the other (5 or 6?) Superrrich shops occupying so much of Rajdamri Sois 1 and 2?

23 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Maybe best to change Dong to USD in Vietnam for a better rate. Changing USD to Baht in Superich in Bangkok has such a small spread that you will lose hardly anything.

Agreed, done it like this many times.

I'm guessing the OP knows how to get the black market (better) US$ rate in VN. 

52 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"...the rate for VND on their website will only apply at their branch on Rajadamri".

Do you mean Grand Superrich or one of the other (5 or 6?) Superrrich shops occupying so much of Rajdamri Sois 1 and 2?

I meant Supperrich Thailand. I have with one exception (not out of choice and when I used Superrich Thailand) changed VND to USD in Vietnam and with the amount that you are proposing to change there should be no problems doing it and should give optimum rate.

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2018 at 6:20 PM, rimmae2 said:

Hi Rimmae2,

Thank you for your reply. On their website, you can now choose the different branches and it will give you their exchange rate. From what I've seen, their head office (Rajadamri) and Vibhavadi give the best exchange rates for VND, so you're right in what you say. I'll head to one of these to change my VND :)

1 hour ago, lindegaard said:

I was of the impression that I could not take out VND when leaving the country (Vietnam), was I told wrongly or is there just a limit?

Hmm I haven't heard this before, but will definitely look into it. Don't want to risk having all of my VND confiscated at the airport haha! Thank you for your reply. 

Just now, KarlosInBKK said:

Hmm I haven't heard this before, but will definitely look into it. Don't want to risk having all of my VND confiscated at the airport haha! Thank you for your reply. 

I don't know a specific reply however my university said years back that they had to withdraw cash Dong to give me my lecturing fee but they would take it to the black market to get more US$ compared to exchanging to US$ at the mainstream VN bank they use, and pay me in US$. 

Luckily my visits are just 1 or 2 courses in 1 visit so it's never been a problem in terms of maximum amounts of cash taken out of VN in any currency or same brought into Thailand.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:58 PM, rimmae2 said:

I meant Supperrich Thailand. I have with one exception (not out of choice and when I used Superrich Thailand) changed VND to USD in Vietnam and with the amount that you are proposing to change there should be no problems doing it and should give optimum rate.

I'm not changing the Vietnamese currency, the OP is, but I am curious about which of the many Superrich shops in Rajdamri you are recommending as there are several in Rajdamri Soi 1 and 2, as I said, with the exception of Grand Superrich, they are all called Superrich.

It certainly used to be the case that you could not take dong out of the country. I was once asked to show the contents of my wallet. When the officer saw I had a bit of leftover dong spending money he told me to go to the exchange bureau and change it back into USD.

But that was the old days. I think you can now spend dong in the departure area on food and drinks which suggests that dong is fully exchangeable and can be taken out (probably within a limit).