Category B Visa - Work Permit Issues

hi there

i m a software engineer based in india....i have been offered a job in thailand by a company - the company there is willing to get me the category B non-immigrant visa....which lasts 90 days....but says that i will hav 2 wait around 2 months to get a work permit - since it takes that long to move through the thai bureaucracy....

meanwhile it wants me to pack up my bags and leave for thailand and start working....

i just wanna knw whether its legal...to work without a workpermit - when u r on a category B visa...

even if its not - is it still a normal practice...and can it land me in major trouble...

how long does it take to actually process a work permit application?

can i open a bank account etc...when i hav the category B visa....but no work permit - u cant do that when u r on a tourist visa...

regards

If a company has its papers in order, and makes even a reasonable effort to cooperate with us, we can have a work permit application submitted within 3-4 work days after an employee lands in Bangkok with a non-immigrant entry permit. Turn-around time is one week. So - figure two weeks from touchdown.

If company gave us their documents ahead of time, and we received necessary details from worker in advance, via e-mail, we could theoretically have packet prepared and company signatures already affixed on day you arrived in Thailand. You go straight to hospital for medical check, then to photoshop for photos - we photocopy your passport and collect signatures. You use passport to check into hotel, and we submit your work permit application on the day after you land. Seven days later, you receive work permit. Initial work permit will be good only until 90th day after you enter Thailand - whether it take 10 days or two months to secure it.

What takes longer (and can only start after you have been here for two months) is applying for a long-term entry permit extension - which is what allows you to obtain a long-term entry permit, good until the one year annivsary date of your arrival into Thailand.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Perfect advice in here, both on WP and bank.

i just wanna knw whether its legal...to work without a workpermit - when u r on a category B visa...

even if its not - is it still a normal practice...and can it land me in major trouble...

Yes, it can. I know of one European, a few years ago, opened his 'own' company, means Thai company where he was a 49% shareholder. Got arrested and deported after two days downtown.

Another fellow I do know personally. Opened same style, hired people, started doing business. Left the country after two months to activate second entry on the non-imm B.

One hour after he left the company police came to his office, they had an information about a foreigner working without WP. OK, he was lucky as he was not on the premises. One hour later would have been arrested, as confirmed by the same officers.

Sorted this out with 'suggestion': "We have to check, but normally do not come after 4:00 pm. DON'T BE IN THE OFFICE DURING WORKING HOURS until you get the WP

The second example should make it more authentic, it was myself.

I was lucky for just having left, follow Indo-Siam advice and tell your employer to come to the offfice early morning, to VISIT. No desk and no obvious working until you get the blue book. Being in the office during working hours is working.