Are thai doctors competent ?

thaivisa63

I'm from Glasgow and can remember years ago a serious op when t-ts up..removal of some poor souls wrong kidney..all over the papers.
Matter of interest..how many Consultants..Registars..GP's are non Scottish practising right now in Scotland..PLENTY!!
Think it's time you took off the tartan specs

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

Your post is a load of nonsense, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I am alive due to the skills of Thai doctors.

In a very serious accident taken to government hospital, given hours to live.

Operated on by government hospital surgeons, have 4 titanium rods/40 screws holding me together.

No doctor anywhere in the world could have done better.

Colin, you really can't draw a conclusion statistically on the basis of a population sample of one.

My Australian GP keeps up with medical knowledge, and takes pains to explain any aspect of my physical condition or medications.

I've found with Thai doctors they don't like being questioned, and their first reaction is to throw a fistful of medications at the patient. It took three different Thai doctors and a month to diagnose cellulitis in my right foot.

My Thai GF has one daughter. She has a huge scar and defunct ovaries from the surgeon who did the Caesarean. In the USA, he probably would have been sued into bankruptcy or struck off on the grounds of malpractice. I occasionally wonder how many lives he has affected with his butchery.

You were lucky in getting excellent treatment;  however, it doesn't mean that's the norm.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, marcusarelus said:

There are doctors in the West that I used when I had great insurance.  Now I don't.  So the best alternative for me is Thailand where I can avail myself of quality health care at a much higher standard than the free health care available to me in America (VA).  I don't think the topic was where are the best doctors in the world.  I think the topic is. "Are Thai doctors competent."  From what I have read in this thread I think the answer must be yes.  Cheryl knows more than anyone else and she says they are.  Good enough for me. 

I have no experience of doctors in the US but can assure you that Thai doctors are nowhere near the standard of doctors in the UK. I've no doubt that Cheryl knows a lot but doubt that she knows as much as my daughter and son-in-law about medical standards in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I have no experience of doctors in the US but can assure you that Thai doctors are nowhere near the standard of doctors in the UK. I've no doubt that Cheryl knows a lot but doubt that she knows as much as my daughter and son-in-law about medical standards in the UK.

Oh dear. Round one.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Spidey said:

O can't believe done here are compliment Thai doctors, as a whole. Limited exposure, or only going to the most expensive ones, provided probably.

As a general rule, Thailand is 30 years behind medicine in the UK.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

O can't believe done here are compliment Thai doctors, as a whole. Limited exposure, or only going to the most expensive ones, provided probably.

As a general rule, Thailand is 30 years behind medicine in the UK, and 20 years behind the US;)

Agree except that I would honestly put Thailand as nearer 50 years behind the UK.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Colin, you really can't draw a conclusion statistically on the basis of a population sample of one.

My Australian GP keeps up with medical knowledge, and takes pains to explain any aspect of my physical condition or medications.

I've found with Thai doctors they don't like being questioned, and their first reaction is to throw a fistful of medications at the patient. It took three different Thai doctors and a month to diagnose cellulitis in my right foot.

My Thai GF has one daughter. She has a huge scar and defunct ovaries from the surgeon who did the Caesarean. In the USA, he probably would have been sued into bankruptcy or struck off on the grounds of malpractice. I occasionally wonder how many lives he has affected with his butchery.

You were lucky in getting excellent treatment;  however, it doesn't mean that's the norm.

Did he know this guy ? https://www.medicalboard.gov.au/news/2016-09-27-surgery-error.aspx

or this one ?

https://www.medicalbag.com/despicable-doctors/this-surgeon-spent-his-entire-career-as-a-defendant-in-court/article/472721/

Or perhaps this other renowned Australian practitioner ?

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/3086825/botched-surgery-claims-led-to-76m-payout/

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Exactly. Probably a daily occurrence in Thailand but swept under the carpet. A rare occurrence in the West and makes the national news when it happens.

So true. The fact that one has to quote news from years ago shows that.

I wonder, are Thai doctors - doctors at all? or have they just done a degree in medicine?

I suspect there are heaps of so called doctors in LoS that have never been even close to a doctoral thesis

whats wrong with being a physician?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, faraday said:

I strongly suggest that we keep control of the 'I'm right, you're wrong attitude' on here, or else the thread will be closed.

Ok na?

:smile:

The thrust of this thread is that some people think Thai doctors are great and have the anecdotal evidence to back that up. Some people think that they are crap and have the anecdotal evidence to back that up.

Where else do you expect this thread to go?

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The thrust of this thread is that some people think Thai doctors are great and have the anecdotal evidence to back that up. Some people think that they are crap and have the anecdotal evidence to back that up.

Where else do you expect this thread to go?

Ask the expert. Bloomberg, using data from the World Bank, World Health Organization, UN Population Division, International Monetary Fund and others, compiled its "Bloomberg Healthcare Efficiency Index" for 2018. It measures healthcare expenditures by country versus health outcomes. Of the 56 nations surveyed in 2018, Thailand was ranked 27th, up from 41 in 2017. Its per capita healthcare spending dropped 40 percent from 2017 to 7,086 baht (US$219), while life expectancy rose to 75.1 years, up from 74.6. The only other ASEAN nations listed were Singapore, ranked second, and Malaysia at 29.

https://www.topmastersinhealthcare.com/30-most-technologically-advanced-hospitals-in-the-world/

6. Bumrungrad International Hospital – Bangkok, Thailand

11. Wattanosoth Cancer Hospital – Bangkok, Thailand

14. Ramkhamhaeng Hospital – Bangkok, Thailand

Edited by marcusarelus

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Ask the expert. Bloomberg, using data from the World Bank, World Health Organization, UN Population Division, International Monetary Fund and others, compiled its "Bloomberg Healthcare Efficiency Index" for 2018. It measures healthcare expenditures by country versus health outcomes. Of the 56 nations surveyed in 2018, Thailand was ranked 27th, up from 41 in 2017. Its per capita healthcare spending dropped 40 percent from 2017 to 7,086 baht (US$219), while life expectancy rose to 75.1 years, up from 74.6. The only other ASEAN nations listed were Singapore, ranked second, and Malaysia at 29.

It depends how exactly "health outcomes" are measured.

Discharge time?

Survival Time?

Many factors need to be considered when comparing the two, which I do not think it could ever be a competent measure.

6 minutes ago, faraday said:

It depends how exactly "health outcomes" are measured.

Discharge time?

Survival Time?

Many factors need to be considered when comparing the two, which I do not think it could ever be a competent measure.

You are more of an expert than Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-19/u-s-near-bottom-of-health-index-hong-kong-and-singapore-at-top

Bloomberg Health-Efficiency Index tracks medical costs, value.

Feel free to start your own report. 

Edited by marcusarelus

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You are more of an expert than Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-19/u-s-near-bottom-of-health-index-hong-kong-and-singapore-at-top

Bloomberg Health-Efficiency Index tracks medical costs, value.

Feel free to start your own report. 

Is your apparent sarcasm really necessary?

Perhaps Marcus, you can answer my questions?

A friend of mine went to a well known hospital in the middle of Pattaya with chest pains.

They ran tests & he was told that he had had a heart attack & needed stents immediately quoting him a price.

He flew straight back to the UK & directly to A&E.

They ran a battery of tests & found no evidence of any heart attack but he did have a chest infection.

That said my child is under the care of a world renown Thai doctor who also worked in John Hopkins & Great Ormond St hospitals.

He mostly teaches now in a university hospital in Bangkok.

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

It means you think your anecdotal evidence is better than Bloomberg and any other measure of recent health care.  Am I wrong?  Have I changed your mind?

Bloomberg is including cost as a major factor. No one's arguing that healthcare is cheaper in Thailand than the West. Cheaper doesn't mean better. Even then, although healthcare is very expensive in the UK for visitors, it's free for British citizens so should rank No:1 as far as British citizens are concerned.

So, yes you are wrong and I haven't changed my mind.