Anti-junta rap strikes a chord among citizens

webfact

1 hour ago, rtco said:
5 hours ago, Thailand said:

rapping Prayuth perhaps bemoaning how he is so misunderstood?

The Animals did that song in the 60's ... "oh lord please don't let me be misunderstood" ... perhaps he could do a cover called "oh Buddha please don't let me be misunderstood"?

Ha ha ha! What irony - a cover version of a song by The Animals: A group with that name, covered by another group who act like bunch of them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

Big Joke, a man of many hats:

Immigration Chief

Deputy Director of the Technology Crime Suppression Division

Spokesman to Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan

Police Poster Boy

Many hats, yes, but he get things done, compared to the fugitive family who spent their time filling their pockets.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, baboon said:
2 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

They are mocking you giving interviews thanking the military and police that you have made them famous with your stupid talk of charges - and what do you do? - Talk more about charges yesterday morning it was “only” 10 million views on YouTube 24 hours later we are at 17 million - keep talking!

Indeed - talk about the Streisand effect on steroids. The Thai bourgeoisie just can't help themselves, can they?

So what we need is the government on Valium.

31 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Some Thai people told me minutes ago they believed it was paid by Thaksin. 

It is to be hoped that nobody paid for it, and it came from the heart.  I guess we'll find out when/if they are identified and see how committed they are to standing their ground.  However, if anyone did pay for it, it's far more likely to be the Future Forward Party, as many of the lyrics are just as applicable to Thaksin and all previous governments, as they are to the current mob.

Hopefully the song will serve as a rallying point for the young - it would be good to see a large crowd play it openly in a public space, without being hijacked by any of the current political groups, or worse, attacked by them.  This is the sort of thing that both sides fear most, and they will do their best to either control it or crush it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

We are not seeing a fight of guns, but a fight of songs, said the leader of the Future Forward Party, Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit

What is needed then is a Saturday night showdown on TV , bit like X Factor or something where Biggysmalls P & P can go up against the raps boys .. 

IMG_20180811_192546_20180812211405168_20180812212004571_20180813160647711_20180814204355360_20180814204928527_20181029050737592.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When one reads the comments on this site one might think, I should rather say one must be convinced that all the vast majority of Thais, with the exception of elites, of course, are all against Prayut.
However in Issan, to be specific in Poen Charoen, some people of my wife's family, peasants to be specific, told me now corrupt officials or police officers take care much more than before. In Thaksin/Yingluck's time, the reds were the law in the village and those who did not openly agreed with them put themselves in danger. So I asked the question, so you feel freer today?  More free we do not know but at least they leave us alone. This is not a personal opinion I just say what I've heard because reading TV I feel like I am the only expat who has heard such a speech?

5 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

I  bet Taksin sponser the rapper........

No matter who you like, everythinge is about politics and manipulation of the voters, so you can get a bite of the cake...

I wondered how long it would take to get Thaksin's name up there. You were post #11

2 hours ago, HooHaa said:

So many on here who beleive thais are simply sheep without thought or opinions will never be in a position to have a candid conversation with someone willing to tell them what they really think. 

Try speaking learning the language, listening to people and gaining respect and trust. You would be surprised how much thinking goes on. 

I don't discuss my politics and beliefs with random folk I meet, why would most thais, especially when they are in an unequal relationship with someone willing to dismiss them as ignorant. 

use of sheep is your words not mine

a country , a people that celebrates when the military does another big coup , well does rather make one question the common people eh?

it would be too dangerous to discuss politics and beleifs with random folk

perhasp syou should try, you seem to be so brave

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

When one reads the comments on this site one might think, I should rather say one must be convinced that all the vast majority of Thais, with the exception of elites, of course, are all against Prayut.
However in Issan, to be specific in Poen Charoen, some people of my wife's family, peasants to be specific, told me now corrupt officials or police officers take care much more than before. In Thaksin/Yingluck's time, the reds were the law in the village and those who did not openly agreed with them put themselves in danger. So I asked the question, so you feel freer today?  More free we do not know but at least they leave us alone. This is not a personal opinion I just say what I've heard because reading TV I feel like I am the only expat who has heard such a speech?

There are a number of Thais who are for Prayuth, as there are a number of them for Thaksin.  However, it is those who are for neither of them that must step forward if the country is to progress.

6 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

I  bet Taksin sponser the rapper........

No matter who you like, everythinge is about politics and manipulation of the voters, so you can get a bite of the cake...

You have been listening to too much Trump 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

I don't believe it.

I lived, and still do, in Red Central. Martyrs to the cause (ie dead people) in BKK etc etc came from the surrounding villages. 

Red Law and disagreeing with Red Opinion back in the days is a load of Yellow propaganda and complete poppycock. It did not exist, nor did it happen.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, manchega said:

use of sheep is your words not mine

a country , a people that celebrates when the military does another big coup , well does rather make one question the common people eh?

it would be too dangerous to discuss politics and beleifs with random folk

perhasp syou should try, you seem to be so brave

Having lived through no less than 3 coups here, I cannot say that anyone in my circle of experience celebrated. Quite the contrary in fact. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Quite Frankly, I believe all this intense popularity, the message, and the intent will pass in the wind as so many trends might. 

A full 15 minutes of attention should be expected and perhaps some associated fall out........yet, nothing substantial will spin off from this ditty. 

.....and the clock is ticking. 

Something else will replace in a few days to a week, as our extended attention span are not that worthy.

All things must pass...but is the song indicative of the societies impression of their situation? If so the song may pass but the feeling of oppression will remain. If that is the case it does not bid well for the junta at the polls. This may only be the opinion of the youth, we won't know until there is an election but things may start getting interesting, with or without this song.

• Like 1

It might be noted that most might be more attentive and swayed by an intelligent reasoned message and intent, as numerous activists have displayed for years. 

There are manners in which to go about it that are more pleasing and are engaged through a higher cognitive level. 

7 hours ago, ballpoint said:

There are a number of Thais who are for Prayuth, as there are a number of them for Thaksin.  However, it is those who are for neither of them that must step forward if the country is to progress.

Of course, there are some Thais who are for Prayut, but on this forum, it's taboo for some members, one of them has just called me a liar! Not in these terms but it comes down to the same thing. 

13 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

no actually i hear this when visiting NE,

so dont believe the bozos on Thaivisa.

Some of the loudest voice you will hear is the guy been here 10+years and cant speak a word of Thai.

only somehow they qualify themself to talk about what is all Thai persons opinion and how they think. 555

Really even what you hear from a Bkk educated Thai who speak English real good is not always the same as you hear in the rest of the country.

I never did care if they want reds or vote reds in because in my mind that is what democracy is supposed to be.

People jump up and down at the mention of Thaksin, but really its up to Thais.

Up to them who they choose and how the bigger numbers turn the vote.

interesting, you dont hear much anymore farang comment attacking and name calling of Thais because they want certain others back in power.

could be that because very hard to call others stupid and ignorant when your own country voted in Trump.555

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

Prathet - Country

Goo -      I

Mee -      Have

I don't see Gamlang Yet (F*cking) anywhere in the title of that rap song, just to keep it real.

Then charging the rappers with a crime will just validate the content of the song.  This rap song has struck a chord with every young Thai I've spoke with.  The blow-back could be significant. 

Your explanation is  a literal interpretation. However,  the use of  "Goo" a denotes a pronoun which  (apart from another context) is  used in anger.  So the more accurate translation is:  This is what my f*cking country's got;  or even (which I prefer): This is what my f*cking country's like. You could even say:  This is what's  going on in my f*cking country. 

• Like 1