Car rental suggestions

anthemite

I will be renting a car for some self-drive trips shortly, and I wonder if anyone has any good and bad stories about the main Thai car rental companies, specifically the Bangkok ones.

I am interested in a relatively new model in very good shape, and I am leaning towards one of the large chains, such as Avis, Budget, Hertz, and National. Krung Thai is a possibility...

I have  been renting a Honda City auto from Budget in Khon Kaen for a while and they do a really good deal if you rent for a minimum of 1 month. (770 baht per day) inclusive.  If you rent for a few days or a week it is very expensive. Renting from Budget,(or Avis etc.) gets you a reasonably new car, well serviced, and Insurance. Local small car rentals are O.K. ( I have used them in the past) but the cars are never as good as from the 'big' companies and the prices are never cheap. If you can arrange to do all your travelling within one month this could be the answer for you. Good Luck,beware the Thai drivers!

Agree with PREM-R on going with the large chains.  If you want to try a smaller, less well known outfit, then you should at least know someone who knows someone there and can vouch for the quality and condition of the vehicles, and perhaps most importantly the availability of support in case of a break-down.  This is where the smaller outfits are weakest.

Have been renting from Budget many times during the last few years and have a fastbreak card. Sofar OK, never any problem and they always are on time to deliver and drop off the car at hotel or airport. Cars are well maintaned, rates are reasonable, but avoid the Suzuki Caribeans for long distances. Cheers, W.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went with Avis because they had a Buy-3-Days-Get-The-4th-Free on a brand spanking new 2003 Honda CRV. The downside was I couldn't seem to get them below the 3000 baht/day price, so I ended up paying almost 10000 baht for 4 days.

The car was EXCELLENT though and the service great too. If I rent again and I don't feel the need for finding the bestest price, I will definitely go with Avis again (at the airport).

:laugh: hi

i have been renting in Bangkok for 14 years the last from LUMPIPI CAR RENT this is on WIRELESS ROAD opposit the park they have always given good service,speak o,k, english and if you rent for a month + it works out to about 580b/day

as always when renting CHECK ALL MARKS/SCRATCHES/DAMMAGE and get them marked on a sheet so that you dont loose your deposit on return.

i have never lost mine.  even though i had a windscreen shatter once.

edd