Somkid Jatusripitak To Become New President Of Coordinating Committee On Foreign Economy

Jai Dee

So they kick out the government in an armed military coup. Then one by one, they put back those who were kicked out by force, back in charge. Can someone please explain the logic of all this?

They make knee jerk reactionary decisions and then reverse them once they get heat for making them. Or possibly they make their decisions by pulling the pedals of a lotus saying - Yes we will. No we won't. Yes we will. No we won't. Yes we will. No we won't. Whatever their method, logic never comes into the decision equation that's been shown time and time again.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they kick out the government in an armed military coup. Then one by one, they put back those who were kicked out by force, back in charge. Can someone please explain the logic of all this?

They make knee jerk reactionary decisions and then reverse them once they get heat for making them. Or possibly they make their decisions by pulling the pedals of a lotus saying - Yes we will. No we won't. Yes we will. No we won't. Yes we will. No we won't. Whatever their method, logic never comes into the decision equation that's been shown time and time again.

another view is that it is divide (for now) and conquer. Somkid was looking for a new home under TRT when it became clear that TRT when the first T in TRT was 'Thaksin'. From his perspective, this is a good half way house to get him into the good books of the military when elections come about again.

Somkid is, some say, a marketing guru, responsible for the branding or TRT which made it so popular with people who like the political parties to have a bit of dazzel while the plunder the country.

He may potentially in the junta's view of also being the best person to clearly articulate to foreign investors what Thai economic policy is, and what it isn't. A job which hasn't been handled too well up to now.

It is intersting to see who is still left in the Thaksin camp: Newin, Yuth, Chidchai, Thammarak, Sudarat and that funny guy who is called the leader of TRT since Mr. T resigned. Those left certainly do not represent the greatest thinkers that TRT had and are not exactly the most influential they had either although Yuth has his posse in Chiang Rai and Newin in Buri Ram and to some extent Surin. I would also expect that Newin may be wanting an invite although he may have a long long wait.

It is intersting to see who is still left in the Thaksin camp: Newin, Yuth, Chidchai, Thammarak, Sudarat and that funny guy who is called the leader of TRT since Mr. T resigned. Those left certainly do not represent the greatest thinkers that TRT had and are not exactly the most influential they had either although Yuth has his posse in Chiang Rai and Newin in Buri Ram and to some extent Surin. I would also expect that Newin may be wanting an invite although he may have a long long wait.

Well if they can come to an understanding with a piece of ordure like Suwat I am sure something can be worked out with Newin.

Well if they can come to an understanding with a piece of ordure like Suwat I am sure something can be worked out with Newin.

I think they want a few extras outside with Thaksin, and Newin was more heavily linked to mobs than Suwat. Then again maybe a whole bunch more Buri Ram schools will go up in flames.

The fact of life is that most TRT MPs won't be charged with anything and so will stand in the next election. Somkid is a sure winning horse that everyone wants in his stable.

Note that the post he's been given/volunteered for is strictly ceremonial, just for show.

Past corruption purge probably won't go any further than cases currently investigated by AEC, everyone not on their list is free to continue with politics as usual and generals need to negotiate with them so that they run under an acceptable banner later this year.

Same as with the coup itself - I doubt that Thaksin's supporters in the army and the police joined the coup out of their good will. Kowit, for example, was surely offered immunity from all prosecution for bringing the police into junta's fold. The Supreme Commander himself joined in the last minute. What was offered for his participation?

I'm sure lots of horses have been traded to make the coup smooth and lots of horses will be traded to make sure the new constitution won't be rejected and elections bring desirable outcome.

Mr. Aree : I have faith Dr. Somkid's capability

Interior Minister Aree Wong-araya (อารีย์ วงศ์อารยะ) has indicated that Dr. Somkid Jatusripitak (สมคิด จาตุศรีพิทักษ์) is a well-rounded person, while believing that Dr. Somkid will help ease the government’s work.

In response to the appointment of Dr. Somkid as the chairman of the International Economic Coordination Committee, Interior Minister believes that Dr. Somkid can help strengthen the economic ties with other foreign countries.

As for criticisms made over the matter, Mr. Aree said that it is considered normal matter.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 Febuary 2007

Gen. Sonthi confirms there is no hidden agenda in appointing Dr. Somkid

The Commander in Chief of the Army and Chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS), Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkrin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน), has confirmed that there is no hidden agenda in designating Dr. Somkid Jatusripitak (สมคิด จาตุศรีพิทักษ์) as the chairman of the International Economic Coordination Committee.

Gen. Sonthi said that the decision of the matter depends on the premier's consideration. He is confident that Dr. Somkid can help ease international economic matters.

As for criticisms claiming that Dr. Somkid used to work for the last government, Gen. Sonthi has urged agencies to think of the country's benefit rather than conflicts.

MOF says no economic policy discussions necessary with Mr. Somkid

The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance said that no economic policies should be discussed with Mr. Somkid as his responsibilities were in order areas.

The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakul (ม.ร.ว.ปรีดิยาธร เทวกุล), addressed how he would cooperate with Mr. Somkid Jatusripitak, the chairman of the committee tasked with explaining the sufficiency economy principle to foreign communities. M.R. Pridiyathorn said that no major economic policies would be discussed with Mr. Somkid as his responsibilities were in other areas.

M.R. Pridiyathorn also expressed his belief that Mr. Somkid's status as a former leading member of the Thaksin administration would have no effects on his ability to function.

Chart Thai Party Leader disagrees with a government designation of Mr. Somkid

Following the appointment of deposed Prime Minister Thaksin’s economic team leader Somkid Jatusripitak as chairman of the international economic co-ordination committee responsible for promoting His Majesty the King’s Sufficiency Economy Philosophy to the international community, Chart Thai Party Leader Banharn Silpa_archa (บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา), has expressed disagreement with the idea.

Mr. Banharn is worried that the appointment will cause political difficulty. He expressed suspicion towards the government’s real intention in the appointment.

In his own perspective, Mr. Banharn viewed that Mr. Somkid did not volunteer for the work. He opined that Mr. Somkid is a qualified person to become the next Prime Minister. But working as head of the committee to promote HM the King’s Sufficiency Economy Philosophy, Mr.Banharn said he could not imagine what kind of political future of Mr. Somkid would be.

Chart Thai Party Leader disagrees with a government designation of Mr. Somkid

Following the appointment of deposed Prime Minister Thaksin’s economic team leader Somkid Jatusripitak as chairman of the international economic co-ordination committee responsible for promoting His Majesty the King’s Sufficiency Economy Philosophy to the international community, Chart Thai Party Leader Banharn Silpa_archa (บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา), has expressed disagreement with the idea.

Mr. Banharn is worried that the appointment will cause political difficulty. He expressed suspicion towards the government’s real intention in the appointment.

In his own perspective, Mr. Banharn viewed that Mr. Somkid did not volunteer for the work. He opined that Mr. Somkid is a qualified person to become the next Prime Minister. But working as head of the committee to promote HM the King’s Sufficiency Economy Philosophy, Mr.Banharn said he could not imagine what kind of political future of Mr. Somkid would be.

No doubt Mr. Banharn sees his plan to lead the next government or at least be in it is being threatened by the resurgence of the popular Mr. Somkid.

Banharn criticises Surayud for appointing Somkid as economic envoy

Chat Thai Party leader Banharn Silapa-archa Friday strongly criticised Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont for appointing former finance minister Somkid Jatusripitak as special envoy to preach sufficiency theory.

Banharn said Somkid's appointment could lead to rifts in the Surayud's Cabinet.

He said Somkid's appointment would also prompt former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to laugh at the Surayud government.

"I think Thaksin is laughing out loud now that the government has to enlist one of his men to work," Banharn said.

Source: The Nation - 17 February 2007

Co-opting Somkid on board is probably a smart move to discredit his former boss, and maybe send an olive branch to TRT supporters.

I would have a real problem with <deleted> like Newin; Suwat, and Co. getting their snouts back in the trough though. :o

"....special envoy to preach sufficiency theory...."

Very sloppy use of words by the writer, and let pass by the editor, at The Nation.

There has been no advocacy of "sufficiency" as a faith that it was appropriate for others to take up.

"Explain" would have been the accurate verb to use.

One thing that Thais can never be accused of is the sin of trying to spread their ideas as a gospel.

Had they been of a mind to do so, they were in a position, well before the UK industrialised, to send troops further afield and build themselves a big empire. But they stopped their military build up once they were able to push the Burmese back and re-establish their borders where they felt they should be. That was "sufficiency", in that context, then.

In the circumstances that obtain today, I think they are right to mount a diplomatic effort to get other countries to understand their philosophy of developing sufficiencies that are sustainable.

Much bigger countries, with a dangerous amount of 'clout' are gripped by a collective madness of "More, more. Even though we don't need it and have to throw away what we have in order to make room for it".

It is wise of this older generation of Thai politicians to explain the thinking that lies behind their actions and why they are doing what they are doing.

As an analogy of what is happening in the 'developed' and most 'developing' countries today, I see a herd of lemmings in collective stampede.

If a small group decide to leave the stampede and observe things from a nice little location on the hillside, they would be wise to say "We mean no harm to you lot. Leave us to carry on our way, whilst you carry on your way".

Of course, the big stampeding group will consider the small group to be strange, confused little creatures.

But, in their nice little location with warmth and food for all, the small group needn't bother their heads over what the big group think of them.

"....special envoy to preach sufficiency theory...."

Very sloppy use of words by the writer, and let pass by the editor, at The Nation.

There has been no advocacy of "sufficiency" as a faith that it was appropriate for others to take up.

Actually it pretty much is a faith since it hasn't been explained in significant business or economic terms. Every article i've read about it has explained it in the vaguest philosophical platitudes with little objective analysis coming from economists or investment analysts. Plus anytime a government says "just trust us because you don't understand what we do" I tend to get very suspicious.

Had they been of a mind to do so, they were in a position, well before the UK industrialised, to send troops further afield and build themselves a big empire. But they stopped their military build up once they were able to push the Burmese back and re-establish their borders where they felt they should be. That was "sufficiency", in that context, then.
Thailand has never had the military capability to colonize anyone outside of the immediate SE asian area. Even before industrialization they lacked sufficient seafaring vessels equipped with the latest navigational instruments and ability to engage in warfare. These vessels were commonplace in most of the advanced countries in Europe, middle east, and NE Asia. Also, the ancient Thai kingdom would have never gotten past the Vietnamese (who managed to stop the Mongols) or the Southern Chinese dynasties who would have squashed them like a rogue province.
In the circumstances that obtain today, I think they are right to mount a diplomatic effort to get other countries to understand their philosophy of developing sufficiencies that are sustainable.

Much bigger countries, with a dangerous amount of 'clout' are gripped by a collective madness of "More, more. Even though we don't need it and have to throw away what we have in order to make room for it".

They haven't earned any right to do anything in regards to dictating terms with other countries.

It is wise of this older generation of Thai politicians to explain the thinking that lies behind their actions and why they are doing what they are doing.

The "older" era of Thai politicians were responsible for some of the worst corruption and bloodletting thailand has ever seen. Just take a close look at the '60-70's era of military power swapping.

Edited by wintermute

Think Martins singing from some western PC hymn sheet here.

Really is a total fairy story that Thais, espescially those that will be alive in 20 years time with famillies to feed and develop will stand on the sidelines watching Thailand slip ever further backwards. Many of the elderly Govenrment now, are happy to sit around with what they have and as with elderly rich people the world over, the enthusiasm and drive subsides somewhat.

A cursory knowledge of Thai history woundn't hurt before your next post Martin.

Lovely idea that is sounds, there are a lot of very cynical politicians lined up behind this, as it is shielding them from a lot of home grown critisism. Many here see the policy as inseperable from the greatest power in the land and will not step into the argument.

If capitalism and consumerism are the wrong ways to go, why are all the developed countries of the world it's biggest exponents? Do you think the greatest minds of the past centuries, have somehow missed something? Why to are all its (capitalism's) detractors searching desperately for someting that will yield the same results, ie. prosperity?

Re posts #46 and #47:

I agree that "sufficiency" is a philosophy that is "pretty near a faith" (and that phrase might not be too far from being a fair description of Buddhism, too). But my point was that Thais don't go around "preaching" it in the sense of persuading others to adopt it. They are not missionaries.

It is to one of Mont Redmond's imaginative little articles for The Nation (reprinted as #5. Power: A Minimum of Madness in 'Wondering Into Thai Culture') that I am indebted for the insight that IF the Thais had had a different mindset (and that is on great big IF) there could have been a Siamese Empire, and a different history for the world.

They never had the military capability to colonise because they didn't have the mindset to develop one from the material resources that they did have, but if.....

I fail to understand the leap from "diplomatic effort to get other countries to understand" to "dictating terms".

And I fail to understand why this older generation of Thai politicians should automatically be felt to be tarred with the same brush as a previous generation.

My "hymn sheet" is of my own authorship---though I recognise that the main refrain of one of my Yorkshire greatgrandfathers has influenced it very much. He was a right old reprobate, and anything but PC. His refrain was: "Waste Not; Want Not".

"Backwards" is a relative term. Yes, the 'stampeders' will see the 'withdrawers' as 'backwards'. But sometimes it can be wise to get ahead by deliberately getting behind (as some older and wiser ambling Hash House Harriers know!).

I will try to maintain my knowledge of Thailand's history that I have gained, and refresh, from Wyatt's "Thailand: A Short History" and not let it reduce to a cursory one.

Rampant consumerism is wrong. But it is the rampancy, rather than the consumerism, that makes it wrong. The 'greatest minds of the past centuries' are not to blame. Just those of the past couple of generations (culminating in Greenspan and Bernanke) who ignore any duty to consider the interests of future generations.

The sufficiency theory calls for Thais to adopt moderation and self-immunity from external forces as a way of life.

To be sufficient is to have enough - not to have less, or not to have more than is within one's reach.

It looks like Mr. T. and his friends in Singapore had their own understanding of what the sufficiency economy is about; "sufficiency economy" = "Ample Rich"?

Re posts #46 and #47:

I agree that "sufficiency" is a philosophy that is "pretty near a faith" (and that phrase might not be too far from being a fair description of Buddhism, too).

No kidding, buddhism is a religion and the primary functions of religion in society is that the followers adopt a certain conditional faith.

But my point was that Thais don't go around "preaching" it in the sense of persuading others to adopt it. They are not missionaries.

They are indeed "preaching" with minister Somkid at the helm trying to spread the gospel with foreign nations. The only snag in their master plan is the fact that foreign nations tend to be rather well educated and savvy at this thing called "business

It is to one of Mont Redmond's imaginative little articles for The Nation (reprinted as #5. Power: A Minimum of Madness in 'Wondering Into Thai Culture') that I am indebted for the insight that IF the Thais had had a different mindset (and that is on great big IF) there could have been a Siamese Empire, and a different history for the world.

The "siamese empire" was nothing but collective hunter-gatherers formed into city-states in SE Asia. They didn't even have agricultural production until way after the middle eastern, european, or NE Asian empires. In other words the technological, intellectual, and motivational means to form a significant empire were beyond them by a few hundred years behind their nearest competitors. Their closest "competitor" was China and Thailand was outclassed in just about every way. Anything else was purely masturbatory fantasy invented by a nation hellbent on nationalistic validation.

They never had the military capability to colonise because they didn't have the mindset to develop one from the material resources that they did have, but if.....

Maybe pigs could have evolved wings too...

I fail to understand the leap from "diplomatic effort to get other countries to understand" to "dictating terms".

The hostility in the current government's tone in regards to foreign business and sovreign nations abroad are indeed more "dictation" than "diplomatic efforts."

And I fail to understand why this older generation of Thai politicians should automatically be felt to be tarred with the same brush as a previous generation.

Mainly because the current clowns are the direct apprentices of the previous generation of clowns.

"Backwards" is a relative term. Yes, the 'stampeders' will see the 'withdrawers' as 'backwards'. But sometimes it can be wise to get ahead by deliberately getting behind (as some older and wiser ambling Hash House Harriers know!).

The difference is this isn't a footrace for drunken fools but globalisation and there is little or no error tolerated in this competition.

Rampant consumerism is wrong. But it is the rampancy, rather than the consumerism, that makes it wrong. The 'greatest minds of the past centuries' are not to blame. Just those of the past couple of generations (culminating in Greenspan and Bernanke) who ignore any duty to consider the interests of future generations.

I'm sure all that greenpeace talk works with a room full of sweaty fisherman's pants wearing leftists but it sure as hel_l won't work in reality.

Edited by wintermute

Really is a total fairy story that Thais, espescially those that will be alive in 20 years time with famillies to feed and develop will stand on the sidelines watching Thailand slip ever further backwards. Many of the elderly Govenrment now, are happy to sit around with what they have and as with elderly rich people the world over, the enthusiasm and drive subsides somewhat.

Lovely idea that is sounds, there are a lot of very cynical politicians lined up behind this, as it is shielding them from a lot of home grown critisism. Many here see the policy as inseperable from the greatest power in the land and will not step into the argument.

If capitalism and consumerism are the wrong ways to go, why are all the developed countries of the world it's biggest exponents? Do you think the greatest minds of the past centuries, have somehow missed something? Why to are all its (capitalism's) detractors searching desperately for someting that will yield the same results, ie. prosperity?

One of the problems of the consumerist capitalist world we live in is that prosperity is limited to only a relative few. There is also the problem that the consumerism of the wealthy is actually destroying the world in which we live. Even for the wealthy this is a legacy they would probably rather not leave to their children. Bearing this in mind it is easy to see why thinkers - if there are any left in the world - would try to find an alternative or ammendmnet to the system we have now. Not being a great mind I would not want to speculate on what an alternative may be and I do not understand what the Thai sufficiency economy means. However, personally I cannot agree to just cheerlead the current world system that is leading the world into a future of rapidly diminshing resources, continued mass poverty and a damaged ecosystem that will not serve our children and their children well.

One of the problems of the consumerist capitalist world we live in is that prosperity is limited to only a relative few. There is also the problem that the consumerism of the wealthy is actually destroying the world in which we live. Even for the wealthy this is a legacy they would probably rather not leave to their children. Bearing this in mind it is easy to see why thinkers - if there are any left in the world - would try to find an alternative or ammendmnet to the system we have now. Not being a great mind I would not want to speculate on what an alternative may be and I do not understand what the Thai sufficiency economy means. However, personally I cannot agree to just cheerlead the current world system that is leading the world into a future of rapidly diminshing resources, continued mass poverty and a damaged ecosystem that will not serve our children and their children well.

I see where you are coming from but don't forget that the consumerist capitalist approach has lifted many millions out of poverty, and provided not only the developed world but also countries like Thailand with huge improvements over the last thirty years.It's a crude and rough old beast with definite downside,environmental damage and more inequality to name but two aspects.But it's ignoring the facts to overlook the net benefit is enormous.The challenge in Thailand is to address the downside of capitalism.

For what ever reasons Somkid boarded this ship of fools, his mandate is not hard to understand: explain to the foreign investment community that the sufficiency economy, as interpreted by the regime, is simply a way of encouraging the poor to pull themselves up by their own boot straps- or better yet, stay merrily stooped in the paddys- that any socialist nonsense won't be entertained by the regime and that Thailand will continue to be the capitalist free for all that foreigner investors have come to know and love- with an endless pool of happy, bhutanesue cheap labor.

Edited by blaze

Education and academic career

Somkid graduated with a Bachelor's Degree from the Faculty of Economics, Thammasat University in 1972. He completed an MBA in Finance from the National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA) and a Ph.D. in marketing from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University.

After graduating, he joined NIDA and became Associate Professor in the Faculty of Business Administration. Somkid's thinking was greatly influenced by Michael Porter's "Competitiveness of Nations". He focused much of his academic research on the development of national and business competitiveness. Along with his mentor Philip Kotler, he was a strong supporter of the concept of Nation Branding. In 1997, Somkid co-authored "The Marketing of Nations: A Strategic Approach to Building National Wealth" with Philip Kotler. The book outlined how countries could improve their competitiveness through marketing and appropriate policies to support it. Somkid's book, "Thailand Inc: Concepts and Strategy", stressed how Thailand should use marketing to improve its competitiveness.

Sounds like this guy is perfect for Thailand, a marketeer masquerading as an economist. Thailand just loves to market itself, forever re-inventing itself monthly as the newest hub of something. And certainly the women along Soi Cowboy know how to market themselves too. No need for substance, no need for reflection, just add a little make up, show some skin, and market yourself like any other branded generic widget. Never mind that you represent a unique country, culture, and society. Just go out there and sell yourself. You all know the pitch line:

"Hello, I am Thailand. How are you? My nickname is Somkid. Where you stay? I go with you. We make money together? Don't be Cheap Charlie. Thailand give number one you know what."

PAD to meet on Tuesday to plan protest Somkid's appointment

The People's Alliance for Democracy will meet at 10 am on Tuesday at the Manager Group's head office to draft measures to launch against the government over the controversial appointment of Somkid Jatusripitak as sufficiency economy envoy.

The five PAD leaders will consider measures for stepping up against the government if Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont does not revoke his order to appoint Somkid.

source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30027178

PAD to meet on Tuesday to plan protest Somkid's appointment

The People's Alliance for Democracy will meet at 10 am on Tuesday at the Manager Group's head office to draft measures to launch against the government over the controversial appointment of Somkid Jatusripitak as sufficiency economy envoy.

The five PAD leaders will consider measures for stepping up against the government if Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont does not revoke his order to appoint Somkid.

source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30027178

And here we go again...

And poor, sweet, lovely Sudarat without a date for the prom. :o

Why, do you feel like accompanying Madame 50 per cent to the prom John? I'm sure she'd appreciate an offer. :D

Oh my, the opportunity to escort such an elegant and gorgeous woman like her would be heavenly:

Sudarat2.jpg

but I understand that due to her incredibly stunning and spectacular exquisiteness, there's someone else deeply interested in pursuing her... so I may lose out to him:

2833048331.jpg

but that's ok... Potjaman, I understand, is also on the market... and THAT is sexiness personified.

And poor, sweet, lovely Sudarat without a date for the prom. :D

Why, do you feel like accompanying Madame 50 per cent to the prom John? I'm sure she'd appreciate an offer. :D

Oh my, the opportunity to escort such an elegant and gorgeous woman like her would be heavenly:

Sudarat2.jpg

but I understand that due to her incredibly stunning and spectacular exquisiteness, there's someone else deeply interested in pursuing her... so I may lose out to him:

2833048331.jpg

but that's ok... Potjaman, I understand, is also on the market... and THAT is sexiness personified.

Well, you did manage to chose one of the more flattering pics of Her Loveliness, but we all have to make sacrifices in life, and if taking Mme 50 % to the Ball, meant a share in even one of her reputed 728 plots of land (on last declaration 6 years ago), then even I might be tempted.................... :o Better than a date with an Elite Card, that's for sure. :D As for Pokemon, you can keep 'er bouffant sexiness fer yersel' lad. :D