Bangkok Bank Offering a Mastercard "Debit" Card Beginning 5 Nov 18

I expect it's a communications problem....wherever you are trying (must) use the card in PIN mode a timeout message is occurring where the Point of Service machine is not getting a response in a timely manner from the Bangkok Bank authorization/approval system.   

What part of the world are you having this problem in?  Europe maybe?
right here in Thailand..

I have yet (nor found any good reason) to use this card physically outside of Thailand.

perhaps in this case I would try using it to pay for a couple of small valued purchases via both contactless as well as Chip and PIN when I'm back in Singapore later this week.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've had the BB MasterCard debit card for a few months now and apart from ATM withdrawals I can't rely on it for anything.  It is constantly refused by the verified by Visa/Mastercard stage for online transactions, worked once in Lotus but was rejected on another occasion, recently rejected again at AIS shop buying a new phone.  The only successful non-cash transaction that seemed to be ok was setting up a regular monthly payment for Netflix.

50 minutes ago, gmac said:

I've had the BB MasterCard debit card for a few months now and apart from ATM withdrawals I can't rely on it for anything.

You may as well cancel the debit card. I did. I don't have a Bangkok Bank debit card anymore.

I have linked my Bangkok Bank secured credit card to my Bangkok Bank savings account. Did that in a branch, waited  a week for that to take effect. Now I can use said credit card as ATM card to withdrwal cash from my savings account. Just select "savings" on the ATM  machine.

You may as well cancel the debit card. I did. I don't have a Bangkok Bank debit card anymore.
I have linked my Bangkok Bank secured credit card to my Bangkok Bank savings account. Did that in a branch, waited  a week for that to take effect. Now I can use said credit card as ATM card to withdrwal cash from my savings account. Just select "savings" on the ATM  machine.
the issue about linking an account to credit card is that not all ATMs in all countries would provide you with an option to choose between withdrawing from savings/current/credit. Such ATMs would automatically assume that you would be withdrawing from your credit limit once it detects your card as a credit card, and the card-issuing bank would that treat such transaction as a cash advance. and whether or not the card issuer would waive the fees and interest involved is another story altogether.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 4:22 PM, nrasmussen said:
On 3/12/2019 at 3:19 PM, Crisu said:

In Big C Extra no PIN or signature is required for Mastercard and VISA payments below ฿1500 and ฿700, respectively. Doesn't matter whether the card is contactless or not.

Does BBL still send an SMS notification for these no-PIN & no-signature transactions?

Does BBL still send an SMS notification for these no-PIN & no-signature transactions?
Not to me, but i think you can activate it online in the account configuration but you have to pay for this service.

With my old Visa Card i also never used this notification service if it was possible.

Sorry, but I cannot answer that. My Bangkok Bank debit card is a UnionPay one. (When I shop at Big C Extra I use my foreign Mastercard credit card.)

• 4 months later...
23 minutes ago, Timmaayy said:

Just got my new BBL Mastercard debit. Does anyone know how it works online, given that there's no name on the card? 

I remember that I had to go through some registration process for the VISA card (that I still have). Forgot the details. Without the registration it was not usable for online payment.

For Mastercard there seems to be a similar procedure:

https://ipay.bangkokbank.com/bblscenroll/bkkCard.aspx

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 3 months later...