ThaiHealth, agencies disclose survey results on domestic violence nationwide

webfact

ThaiHealth, agencies disclose survey results on domestic violence nationwide

domestic-violence-in-thailand.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 6th November 2018 (NNT) – A recent survey on domestic violence in Thailand showed that violence against women and family members accounted for 35 percent. 

The Director-General of the Department of Women's Affairs and Family Development, Lertpanya Booranabundit, and a committee member of Thai Health Promotion Foundation (ThaiHealth), Prof. Dr. Ronnachai Kongsakon, held a press conference on Monday to discuss the domestic violence awareness and the survey result. 

The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security, ThaiHealth, and related agencies jointly conducted the survey, involving more than 2,200 households nationwide. 

According to the survey, one-third of the respondents said they faced mental violence. Ten percent said they were victims of physical abuse. Five percent admitted that they went through sexual violence.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-11-06

"...According to the survey, one-third of the respondents said they faced mental violence. Ten percent said they were victims of physical abuse. Five percent admitted that they went through sexual violence..."

I am not really sure exactly what entails "mental violence" in this survey, so I'll leave that one alone.

In terms of the 10% who are victims of physical abuse and the 5% who are victims of sexual violence, I will simply say that cutting off their balls while they sleep seems to be a reasonable response to me.

Civilized people do not abuse their wives and/or children.

End of discussion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...According to the survey, one-third of the respondents said they faced mental violence. Ten percent said they were victims of physical abuse. Five percent admitted that they went through sexual violence..."

I am not really sure exactly what entails "mental violence" in this survey, so I'll leave that one alone.

In terms of the 10% who are victims of physical abuse and the 5% who are victims of sexual violence, I will simply say that cutting off their balls while they sleep seems to be a reasonable response to me.

Civilized people do not abuse their wives and/or children.

End of discussion.

" Civilized people do not abuse their wives and/or children " where are they in Thailand?????

3 hours ago, Borzandy said:

" Civilized people do not abuse their wives and/or children " where are they in Thailand?????

Respectfully, there are many decent, civilized people in Thailand. The problem, in my view, is that people tend to see the problem as one of family, and Thais don't like to interfere in other people's families.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

Just another list that they soon find place number one on. The general percentage in the world regarding domestic abuse is much lower.

Are you sure?

Or is it another regular ThaiVisa specific vision of Thailand.

World Health Organisation: Global estimates published by WHO indicate that about 1 in 3 (35%) of women worldwide have experienced either physical and/or sexual intimate partner violence or non-partner sexual violence in their lifetime.

http://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/violence-against-women

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

WHO indicate that about 1 in 3 (35%) of women worldwide have experienced either physical and/or sexual intimate partner violence or non-partner sexual violence in their lifetime.

Yeah, but they have an agenda to prove men are bad.

And violence would include having their bum pinched, or a guy innocently brushing against them in a crowded bar.

Let's have some surveys where 'violence' only counts if they've been hospitalised, then it would be 1 in 10,000 in place of the 1 in 3 BS.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

So, if a husband chooses to slap his wife around a bit, that's okay as long as she isn't hospitalized?

Seems OK to me, and vice versa, most Thais would consider that entirely normal.

He/she could always leave if they find it unacceptable.

Don't think I've ever lived with a Thai lady that didn't give me an occasional slap or punch.

If it got too much (it did with one), I would just move out.

If you don't like the way Thais behave, maybe you would be happier living somewhere else?

Rather than trying to change them to match your moral prejudices.

I see plenty of stuff I don't like happening around me, but don't feel it's my place to try and change them.

Their country, up to them what they do, no cultural imperialism from me.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Respectfully, there are many decent, civilized people in Thailand. The problem, in my view, is that people tend to see the problem as one of family, and Thais don't like to interfere in other people's families.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

While i agree that there are probably a majority of people who are decent and civilised, taking into account the "face" issue, i would say that, many women would never admit publicly to be abused by their husbands.

• Like 1

10% suffer physical abuse, 5% suffer sexual abuse?

I would hazard a wild guess, that these numbers are - by no means- true!

Mostly because 

a ) not everybody, who is physically or sexually abused, would confirm that to anyone

b ) to suffer physical or sexual abuse, you would have to UNDERSTAND it!

If you are brought up with the "traditional" belief, that a woman is a man's property, you may not even know, you are sexually abused!

And since this notion is widely accepted in Thailand, I think, the real numbers are way higher! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Seems OK to me, and vice versa, most Thais would consider that entirely normal.

He/she could always leave if they find it unacceptable.

Don't think I've ever lived with a Thai lady that didn't give me an occasional slap or punch.

If it got too much (it did with one), I would just move out.

If you don't like the way Thais behave, maybe you would be happier living somewhere else?

Rather than trying to change them to match your moral prejudices.

I see plenty of stuff I don't like happening around me, but don't feel it's my place to try and change them.

Their country, up to them what they do, no cultural imperialism from me.

Domestic abuse is rampant worldwide.

9 minutes ago, DM07 said:

10% suffer physical abuse, 5% suffer sexual abuse?

I would hazard a wild guess, that these numbers are - by no means- true!

Mostly because 

a ) not everybody, who is physically or sexually abused, would confirm that to anyone

b ) to suffer physical or sexual abuse, you would have to UNDERSTAND it!

If you are brought up with the "traditional" belief, that a woman is a man's property, you may not even know, you are sexually abused!

And since this notion is widely accepted in Thailand, I think, the real numbers are way higher! 

WOW! Do ever read (at the very least) the daily news?

58 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And you are a cultural imperialist.

You know, what was entirely "normal" in Europe or North America for some time?

Burning witches on the stake!

We moved on and now, very seldom do that!

I really don't give two hot $4!ts, what Thais see as normal.

If it makes me a cultural imperialist, if I think, slapping around a woman or child (or man, for that matter) or forcing yourself on a woman, sexually is wrong...that will be a bag I wear with honor & pride!

You on the other hand, are nothing but an enabler!

Do your finger- knuckles hurt, when you are walking?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I love this sentence because it is "the absolute truth" 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 4:20 PM, Tchooptip said:

I love this sentence because it is "the absolute truth" 

Very nice sentence, indeed. And so ironical when we look at the country we live in.