Is Talat Phlu a decent area?

sukhumvitneon

3 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

Thalad Phlu is just a few minutes drive from the new super mall complex Icon Siam which just opened 2 days ago. I have two Condos here and am very happy living here. The Mall ( although dated) is around the corner and will be extended and refurbished next year. There are many fairly new and new condos going up here. It is right beside the BTS station Talat Phlu and the main bus station. There is a good Wednesday and Saturday market at the rear of the new Supalai Loft and the Mall. There is also a good food and goods market every day across from The Mall and Supalai Loft Condo. The area is up and coming and is certainly not a sleazy part of town. It has a large affluent resident population and many of us farang live here. I have lived across the river also when I came here first in Charoenkrung beside Asiatique. If anything that area looks more downmarket. 

I would advise that living in this area is a good choice as you have direct and easy access to Silom, Siam and Sukumvit without having to be in the hustle bustle of the inner city. You have to pick your condo for rental or buying with care. The Parkland Grand, Ideo, and a few more on Ratchapreuk road are worth consideration. The new Supalai Loft is ideally located a short walk from all amenities including the Mall as is Whizdom if you can afford the price tag. 

Thumbs up for this area. 

I’d agree with everything Sumarionson says. Pretty much anywhere along a BTS route is likely to be a good place to live depending on your needs and preferences. Thonburi side is a great idea with easy access to other areas. If you’re buying then you’ll find prices a lot lower.....for now. Condos in my building have risen around 50% since I bought 5 years ago 

Thalad Phlu is just a few minutes drive from the new super mall complex Icon Siam which just opened 2 days ago. I have two Condos here and am very happy living here. The Mall ( although dated) is around the corner and will be extended and refurbished next year. There are many fairly new and new condos going up here. It is right beside the BTS station Talat Phlu and the main bus station. There is a good Wednesday and Saturday market at the rear of the new Supalai Loft and the Mall. There is also a good food and goods market every day across from The Mall and Supalai Loft Condo. The area is up and coming and is certainly not a sleazy part of town. It has a large affluent resident population and many of us farang live here. I have lived across the river also when I came here first in Charoenkrung beside Asiatique. If anything that area looks more downmarket. 

I would advise that living in this area is a good choice as you have direct and easy access to Silom, Siam and Sukumvit without having to be in the hustle bustle of the inner city. You have to pick your condo for rental or buying with care. The Parkland Grand, Ideo, and a few more on Ratchapreuk road are worth consideration. The new Supalai Loft is ideally located a short walk from all amenities including the Mall as is Whizdom if you can afford the price tag. 

Thumbs up for this area. 

21 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I’d agree with everything Sumarionson says. Pretty much anywhere along a BTS route is likely to be a good place to live depending on your needs and preferences. Thonburi side is a great idea with easy access to other areas. If you’re buying then you’ll find prices a lot lower.....for now. Condos in my building have risen around 50% since I bought 5 years ago 

Great information from both of you.  Thanks!

Edited by sukhumvitneon
  • Thanks 1

I think the river areas are all positioned well for growth.  Recently, I have been taking care of business in Bang Pho and Thewet...pretty good sidewalks, shopping, and litter control.  Along the river, north of KSR..many transport choices.  Here is my view of Friday afternoon rush hour.

IMG_20181109_174301.jpg

On 11/14/2018 at 7:46 PM, moontang said:

I think the river areas are all positioned well for growth.  Recently, I have been taking care of business in Bang Pho and Thewet...pretty good sidewalks, shopping, and litter control.  Along the river, north of KSR..many transport choices.  Here is my view of Friday afternoon rush hour.

IMG_20181109_174301.jpg

Nice cage, are the mozzies so big there along the river?

On 11/11/2018 at 1:25 PM, Sumarianson said:

Thumbs up for this area. 

Ditto. Im in the same area evidently. Ill add that The FreshMart or whatever it is in the basement of the Mall at Thapra has decent prices, good take away, plus a fabulous food Court. annexed. The food across from the Mall at Thapra is excellent and cheap, there is a dude there that makes yummy braised pork. Heading north off the BTS Talat Phlu station a mere 5 minute walk is Talat Phlu "Market" awesome, world famous street food and some fabulous restaurants up and down Thoet Thai Road, I am there at least twice a week. You can catch the train to Maha Chai there. There is a great wet market at Wonwang Yai as well as some fab restaurants, I find restaurant food prices here to be substantially cheaper than across the river. Most everything you will ever need is within 2 klicks. There are awesome Wats here, a Big C SE of the station and you can ride to Bang Wa and grab cabs to explore places like Lad Khlong Mayom. There is even a Coy-Oh-Tay bar :).

For example, for a different market, you can taxi to Wanglang (awesome) for 100baht, hang out there, take the boat to Saphan Taksin, then the BTS, its real easy to get around.

The flea market referred on Wed and Saturdays to has great food, I go there a lot. I can see it from my building. There is good street food everywhere in front of the condos.

I would add also that Wutthakat is nice too, some nice Condos there and the station is a bit quieter. Here you have the intersection of Ratchapruek and Ratchadapisek (sp ) roads which can get jammed up.

Price wise I pay 11K plus for a one br modern condo and am happier than a pig is s**t with this area, its attractions and its convenience. I would differ that I dont see a lot of Falang, especially in my building, there are days when I wont see one at the Mall, and especially not down at Talat Phlu market or Wongwang Yai maket.  Plus I tend to be down on Thoet Thai road a lot which is total non falang. There are baht bus that runs up and down that road too. And a fabulous dessert shop. And a great Fish Maw soup shop. And a Khao Man Gai shop that is famous among locals. And a killer Braised Pork shop. And Sunees Roast Pork in Red Gravy. And bomb Beef noodles and duck noodles as good as down at Prachap Duck Noodles.

If you are considering moving here and want to check it out, PM me. I dont get to speak a lot of English ????

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Thanks 1