Mountain Bike Sales In Isaan?

thaipulse

I'm currently in Surat, but moving back up Isaan way is likely

in the next few months. I'm looking at mountain bikes here as

there is one shop that has some Trek 3900's that got great

reviews and they're very cheap here. 9500 baht.

I'd rather find a mountain bike up closer to where I'll be, but

I'm thinking that I won't be able to find another quality bike

shop up that way...

I'd be looking for a Trek, Cannondale, Marin, Specialized,

Klein, Haro, or other quality aluminum frame or chromoly

frame mountain bike with front shock.

Anybody currently living in Isaan: Ubon, Khon Kaen, Nong Khai

/Vientianne, Udon, etc - that might know of a good bike shop

up that way?

Or, I'd also be willing to buy a 2nd hand mountain bike of the

brands listed. Looking to spend under 25000 baht.

Vern

"ThaiPulse"

Yeah, see, that's what I'm afraid of that I'll get up there and not be able to find

ANY bike shop! As it is, if I don't hear about a good shop somewhere in Isaan

I'll grab this Trek 3900 before I leave here. They also have a 4300 and 4400

I think. One of them has deore components but it's a girls bike, tricked out,

but reasonably priced at 27,000 baht.

I'd like to get a really decent bike, but I'm sure whatever I get will be stolen

eventually and I've already had 2 Cannondales stolen in the USA, not looking

to have another bike stolen that is WORTH something.

Thanks for writing - I'll look up pro bikes in bkk on the net.

Vern

I don't live in Issan, but I have spent a lot of time riding my bike around there. The only decent MTB's (Shamano Deore LX and up) that I've seen there were all purchsed at Pro Bikes in BKK. I'm sure there must be a decent bike shop up there, but I haven't noticed one.

I know of one bike shop in Udon that has high qaulity bikes and parts, Im sure there are others but this one is easy to get to. If you arrive from the south end of town when you get to the first traffic circle take the first turn left. From there go over the klong which is 2 hundred meters or so then look for the Caltex gas station on the right or oncoming traffic side of the road. There in the parking lot the the old gas station office has been converted into a mountain bike racing shop and coffee place. They have the best selection of things Ive seen outside of Bangkok. If you cant get what you want there just take the train to Bangkok and bring it back on the train.

I can recommend the Trek 3900 and ProBike. I paid 8500B for mine and the only change I made to it was to change the knobblies for a pair of Michelin City slicks (26x1.5) I am not a big fan of MTB's but bought the Trek as a city hack; my road bike is equipped with Campagnolo which I can't get here and on my last visit to the UK, I priced up new wheels for it - £750 so the road bike goes out occasionally.

The Trek 3900 is a reasonably priced, reasonably equipped bike. I can't comment about its off-road capabilities perhaps other forum members would like to comment.

If you are moving somewhere, buy in the local shop - always nice to go somewhere and have them fix up your bike for almost free : -) They can order from WorldBike in Bangkok (or other distributors), and they ship it to the shop, and the price will be about same as in Bangkok, best way to do it.

I'd like to get a really decent bike, but I'm sure whatever I get will be stolen

that's a bit pessimistic, isn't it?

Yes, a bit pessimistic!

When I buy something I am not all that attached to it. So I do stupid things with what I own. I don't pay attention to it much and worry about where I put it, whether someone will grab it, whether it's in a place where it could get broken, and stuff like that.

In Ubon I had 3 motorbike helmets stolen in just about a year.

My g/f had her wallet taken from out of her yamaha mio motorbike basket at a traffic light in Ubon.

In Surat my g/f had her cell phone stolen while in a crowded BANK!

We've heard of numerous break-ins here and in Ubon - farangs that have easily opened doors at night.

I've heard of a guy in Surat that lost 2 bikes already.

So yeah, a bit pessimistic - but, I can't see spending a lot of money over 25000 b on a bike that has a high probability of falling into someone else's hands over the next 2 years when I'm ready for a different bike.

Thanks for the Udon shop - That sounds like a winner. Wish I knew what brand bikes they have. But, I guess they could order through bkk.

Yes, I looked online and found a place with 39 reviews of that bike and they all got 4-5 ***** and 5 was max. Sounds like a great bike for the $. A friend bought one here in Surat and I test drove around school - I didn't want to get OFF it. I used to race bikes in the past - and when I felt that burn in the quads again it was like kissing my high school sweetheart...

The one problem was the rims were said to be a bit soft. I think for a medium weight rider doing not-so-tough stuff - good enough.

You got your 3900 for 8500!!!??

That's great to know. Perhaps I'll pick it up at probike too. Gotta look for that shop online, they must have something online.

Thanks for your help...

Vern

I can recommend the Trek 3900 and ProBike. I paid 8500B for mine and the only change I made to it was to change the knobblies for a pair of Michelin City slicks (26x1.5) I am not a big fan of MTB's but bought the Trek as a city hack; my road bike is equipped with Campagnolo which I can't get here and on my last visit to the UK, I priced up new wheels for it - £750 so the road bike goes out occasionally.

The Trek 3900 is a reasonably priced, reasonably equipped bike. I can't comment about its off-road capabilities perhaps other forum members would like to comment.

I bought a Merida mountain bike with alloy frame and all the business in Sisaket, from the shop next to Bkk Bank. They don't have much selection in stock but are very helpful.

With proper precautions, i.e. a lock, I think it is less likely to get stolen here than in the US.

Yes, I looked online and found a place with 39 reviews of that bike and they all got 4-5 ***** and 5 was max. Sounds like a great bike for the $. A friend bought one here in Surat and I test drove around school - I didn't want to get OFF it. I used to race bikes in the past - and when I felt that burn in the quads again it was like kissing my high school sweetheart...

The one problem was the rims were said to be a bit soft. I think for a medium weight rider doing not-so-tough stuff - good enough.

You got your 3900 for 8500!!!??

That's great to know. Perhaps I'll pick it up at probike too. Gotta look for that shop online, they must have something online.

Thanks for your help...

Vern

I've had no problems with the wheels and I'm definitely on the 'cuddly' size - in fact my eldest daughter has suggested that my next bike ought to be built with scaffolding tubing!

I've always just been a tourist in Thailand, but I have always been sure that my bike would not get stolen. On several of my trips I did not bother with a lock. Now I take a light weight cable lock, but if I go in a store or something I don't lock up or anything, although I do try to keep an eye on it. I've always sensed that people are more into the motorbikes, and also they don't know the value of a decent bike. The bike I took over the last time I paid $1500 US for, but it doesn't look to much different that a Merida bike (and maybe less as it has no shocks), and few people know that Shimano XT is good stuff up in Issan.

I just spent a couple weeks in Oceanside, California, and I took my bike there. There I was afraid to leave it for a minute to walk into a convienence store or a taquaria. And that is a feeling I have never had in Thailand.

I agree with SOHB.if you dont take one, order one and use the local bike shop,they rarely charge for labour,and make money on parts,...its a good place to find out where and when the mtb races are on.

if you have;nt got it .. thaiMTB.com look for english forum ...and look for tonys site as well,its in thai but a good calander...there is a race on the 25th around korat way.happy racing and riding.

cat

Also a shop in the mall in Udon and around the corner on the same road which dead ends at the train station. Remember seeing GT, Mongoose, Gary Fischer and a few other brands.

As eastbaybob said, few people in Issan will know how expensive your bike is. Don't tell them and if they ask lie and give a cheap price. :o

yeah, that's true I guess... most wouldn't know how expensive a good bike is in isaan!

That's comforting on some level. Another problem is finding a good bike lock.

Anyone see Kryptonite u-locks in BKK probikes?

Udon is a place that I'll check out. I guess I'm afraid to get up there and then not

be able to find a bike like this trek 3900 which is just about perfect.

More than likely i'll buy it here and take it up north. I'd like to buy locally when i get

back up there, but maybe better just to get it and have it - AND get some riding in

over the next 4 weeks before I get up there.

There are actually mt bike races??? wow. That's exciting stuff. Don't know if my

40 year old body is up for it - but if they have old man bracket I'll take a shot.

I'm thinking that by being in Khon Kaen I'll be close enough to head over to

Loei or somewhere to get some hilly rides. Is that right? Any hills in Khon Kaen

or east of there? I think the hills are all west of there - yes?

?

yeah, that's true I guess... most wouldn't know how expensive a good bike is in isaan!

That's comforting on some level. Another problem is finding a good bike lock.

Anyone see Kryptonite u-locks in BKK probikes?

Udon is a place that I'll check out. I guess I'm afraid to get up there and then not

be able to find a bike like this trek 3900 which is just about perfect.

More than likely i'll buy it here and take it up north. I'd like to buy locally when i get

back up there, but maybe better just to get it and have it - AND get some riding in

over the next 4 weeks before I get up there.

There are actually mt bike races??? wow. That's exciting stuff. Don't know if my

40 year old body is up for it - but if they have old man bracket I'll take a shot.

I'm thinking that by being in Khon Kaen I'll be close enough to head over to

Loei or somewhere to get some hilly rides. Is that right? Any hills in Khon Kaen

or east of there? I think the hills are all west of there - yes?

?

IF i can race at 58 ,your a spring chic,they had a big race there last month[khon kaen] get on the site

i gave u ,,and you'll see the trails,train with the thais,ask the shop what time they go,

good riding

cat

I know of one bike shop in Udon that has high qaulity bikes and parts, Im sure there are others but this one is easy to get to. If you arrive from the south end of town when you get to the first traffic circle take the first turn left. From there go over the klong which is 2 hundred meters or so then look for the Caltex gas station on the right or oncoming traffic side of the road. There in the parking lot the the old gas station office has been converted into a mountain bike racing shop and coffee place. They have the best selection of things Ive seen outside of Bangkok. If you cant get what you want there just take the train to Bangkok and bring it back on the train.
Thanks for the Udon shop - That sounds like a winner. Wish I knew what brand bikes they have. But, I guess they could order through bkk.

Thaipulse,

I'll go down there tomorrow and have a look, check out what models they have and get some prices for you.

Following Mai Kraps directions I found the shop very easily, they have a comprehensive range of GT and Trek bikes incliding the Trek 3900 for 10500Bt, they also have all the accesssories you could ever need.

PM if you need their number.

Good luck and happy cycling!

Ah, thanks for your help! I will likely be in either Udon or somewhere close, so this shop would be good to know about. I can get the trek 3900 for 9500 b here in town but then I'd have to bring it on the train. I'll ask g/f to check out the price for that - taking bike on train.If i left it in the box, probably no charge. Not sure i get a box at this shop though.

Yeah, racing - wow... it's been a while - 10 years... wait, 11. Yikes. But I think i could be up for it. I need something to do!

Following Mai Kraps directions I found the shop very easily, they have a comprehensive range of GT and Trek bikes incliding the Trek 3900 for 10500Bt, they also have all the accesssories you could ever need.

PM if you need their number.

Good luck and happy cycling!