Many Thais believe drug abuse and alcohol consumption are the most common causes of violence - survey

webfact

25 minutes ago, DM07 said:

So THIS "So pretty well similar to western cultures with Thainess changed to Westerness." sentence (because THAT was all you wrote)  was about all of the above!?

Yeah...right!

Jeez,,,, you still don’t get it. Now allow me one more attempt to spell it out for you again. Now this is the final time. Did I say Thais where correct in theirnviolence, NO. Did I say I didn’t agree with what was said, NO. 

Don’t bother replying as I don’t have the patience to explain it as if I’m talking to a 4 year old. 

Now lets get back on track and let the original post move ahead.

Edited by Tongjaw
Spelling error

4 hours ago, todlad said:

Everyone seems desperate to put loss of face as the number one reason. My UK newspaper has a couple of stories this morning that scream Thainess, according to many here; but no Thai people involved, only Brits.

Whether it is the factor, a contributory factory or a catalyst, alcohol features in two thirds of violent attacks in Thailand: both attacker and victim, almost in equal measure.

What might be classed as loss of face, uncontrolled rage, accounts for around 10% of cases.

Whether we like it or not, alcohol is a massive influence here.

If anyone is desperate to promote loss of face to number one spot, carry out your own survey and prove it. Repeating it like a parrot is not proof.

I think breathing is a  cause too as  all of them were breathing at the time, therefore breathing leads to violence.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

Jeez,,,, you still don’t get it. Now allow me one more attempt to spell it out for you again. Now this is the final time. Did I say Thais where correct in theirnviolence, NO. Did I say I didn’t agree with what was said, NO. 

Don’t bother replying as I don’t have the patience to explain it as if I’m talking to a 4 year old. 

Now lets get back on track and let the original post move ahead.

Yeah I am an idiot!

Please accept my sincere apology, for not understanding all the things you did not say, in that one sentence, where you linked this story to Westerness...

I should have read more into it!

Cheers, mate- happy hour is starting!

:coffee1:

Yes, let’s blame it on anything but what a lot of it is, rejection, loss of face, and down right savagery, iced with relaxed law enforcement, Thainess, and a culture that devalues women.

Drugs and alcohol are just a small part of it and an easy and well accepted excuse for violence and what would otherwise be unacceptable behavior. Take those away today and I’d wager violence against women here and violence in general wouldn’t lower by anything significant.

25 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Yeah I am an idiot!

Please accept my sincere apology, for not understanding all the things you did not say, in that one sentence, where you linked this story to Westerness...

I should have read more into it!

Cheers, mate- happy hour is starting!

:coffee1:

Well I won’t disagree with your first sentence above as you obviously didn’t understand the part where I specifically said “ don’t reply “..

As for happy hour, I have better things to do than sit on a barstool all day or night hating my life and all around it. Anyway I’d say you’ve already had you fair share of beer for the day. 

Now be a good old chap and don’t pester me again or better still block me. 

8 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

If you live here you will have seen the Asian epidemic of insanely spoiled sons (and now with available contraception, often daughters) with delusions of grandeur about their place in life and what the rest of society owes them in particular.  In my (adopted family) it has ruined 

Parenting play a large part in instilling a value system into them at a young age. This , I find lacking in most Thai families . Thai parents equate giving in to the children’s whims as love....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mrfill said:

“Alcohol and drugs are just stimulants,” he pointed out. 

He pointed out incorrectly. Alcohol is a depressant.

Strange... I always felt high when I drank much... 

Edited by Ctkong

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

You making him lose face. 

Eric, I removed my own post because I realised in retrospect I had mis-read a post by todlad replying to another post criticising grammar etc.  I removed it because my comment was incorrect.  It did not involve you.  No, don't bother to answer!

52 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Strange... I always felt high when I drank much... 

mrfill is of course correct. It does act on the central nervous system as a depressant but it's action in removing self control and inhibitions results in it becoming a catalyst for violence, as well as loss of tact, modesty & sexual virtue etc. Many young men have exploited this feature to their advantage. (Myself excepted of course!!!!!!!) 555.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

All total BS,  it's loss of face,

and there inability to except responsibility for there own actions or inactions.

just like when a baby throws its toys out the pram,  when it doesn't get its own way. 

Grow up, people of Thailand. :coffee1:

Ps  Rage is always bubbling under the thin veneer in Thailand.

nothing to do with Drugs or Alcohol.

With science at hand it seems correct to assume that both drugs and alcohol are both triggers and therefore can reinforce whatever exists from good to evil….

4 hours ago, kannot said:

I think breathing is a  cause too as  all of them were breathing at the time, therefore breathing leads to violence.

Hey! What a cracking comment. You are wrong, of course. Breathing does not lead to violence. You are confusing correlation and causation. Never mind!

On 11/20/2018 at 6:07 AM, YetAnother said:

so true; not pointed in the main article is that thai males are insecure and non-introspective and , essentially, irresponsible; they, in general, lack real sense of self worth and thus act-out against others

Correct !  The depths of paranoia in this society is in general so easy to see once the eyes have been opened to it. The whole ‘cult’-ural indoctrination of losing face provides a cultivation of mental health problems of schizophrenia / paranoia / deep insecurities the list goes on, and that blame will be pointed the other way just to save face. It’s insanely pandemic !   

The whipping up of mob mentality (experienced from being the victim when I spoke out against a market trader verbally abusing my daughter with a off the cuff remark), is one that is so just illogical, irrational, without any of the individuals reasoning on ‘facts’, and that was a mixed mob of women and men, the women assisted more in the whipping up of illogical BS all because I was ‘farang’, my daughter being ‘luk khun’. She was 11 at the time, they’re sick, really sick. 

• Like 1

The irony of the report, ‘blaming drugs and alcohol’ and not dealing with the real issue ‘the ‘f individual self’. 

And whose pointing those fingers at the alcohol and drugs ? More folk who are afraid to look within themselves and their own ‘cult’-ure ! 

Fact !! 

Edited by mindfulness
Spelling error
  • Like 2

On 11/20/2018 at 4:39 AM, webfact said:

Drugs, alcohol behind violence'

Wow I never realized that what an intelligent deduction.

Anything about bad up-bringing,  irresponsible use of alcohol,  irresponsible use of illegal drugs.