A six-pack worth going to hell for! Fitness monk wows internet and TV

webfact

A six-pack worth going to hell for! Fitness monk wows internet and TV

2pm.jpg

Pictures of a monk with a tight six-pack sent Thai social media and television into meltdown. 

Featured on the page of Suraseki Khwathijak the poster said:

"You know right - doing fitness is not considered an activity for monks. But I'm giving it a go. Put some whey in the alms bowl!"

Thai netizens reacted with collective comments of "wowser" , "be my trainer PLEASE!" and many admitted it had inspired them to go out and immediately make merit. 

While some accepted doing fitness could be a sin for a monk - but it was worth going to hell for!

Sanook featured the story that was also on Channel 3 news.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-29
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

For what reason?

Do they think they're buying their way to a better body?

Or perhaps some women thought they may get the chance to experience a monk that that first-hand.

My 56 year old female neighbor asked me on which dating website she can find him.

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

For what reason?

Do they think they're buying their way to a better body?

Or perhaps some women thought they may get the chance to experience a monk that that first-hand.

From the Vinaya:

- asking for finer alms food: a Dukkhata offense ('wrongdoing', entailing confession)

- eating finer alms specifically food asked for: a Pācittiya offense ('discourteous acts to be acknowledged', entailing confession and probably forfeiture)

Being overly attached to one's own body is obviously a direct contradiction to Buddhist teaching on top of that, so repeat offending might lead to him finally asked to disrobe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

From the Vinaya:

- asking for finer alms food: a Dukkhata offense ('wrongdoing', entailing confession)

- eating finer alms specifically food asked for: a Pācittiya offense ('discourteous acts to be acknowledged', entailing confession and probably forfeiture)

Being overly attached to one's own body is obviously a direct contradiction to Buddhist teaching on top of that, so repeat offending might lead to him finally asked to disrobe.

If Buddha lived today, he would be much more tolerant than you. I'm quite convinced about that.

What's wrong with caring for your health and your body ?

I wish my wife would do that instead of getting fatter and fatter while going to the temple every other day ?

Showing off is a differnt story. But then again, he might encourage others to follow suit, which would benefit them.

1 hour ago, maximillian said:

If Buddha lived today, he would be much more tolerant than you. I'm quite convinced about that.

What's wrong with caring for your health and your body ?

I wish my wife would do that instead of getting fatter and fatter while going to the temple every other day ?

Showing off is a differnt story. But then again, he might encourage others to follow suit, which would benefit them.

There’s obviously nothing wrong with promoting exercise and taking care of your health. I think monks should be actively encouraging people to do it. What many posters are confused by or critical of is the hypocrisy. 

Do you know how long and hard you’d have to work to get abs like that? It doesn’t happen by running on a machine for 30 mins everyday. You have to put in the time and effort. And for what? To have a six-pack? You can be perfectly healthy and not have a six-pack. How does that having anything to do with being a monk? It doesn’t. It’s vanity which is what Buddhism tells people not to concern themselves with as it’s meaningless. I think this monk would be better off being a fitness trainer or an instagram model. 

One last thing - do you think if a female monk did squats and took selfies of her rumptious behind she’d also be considered someone who’s promoting a healthy lifestyle?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Shaolin monks think posting pics of their abs is what Buddhism is about? 

The inference of your post was about fitness /activities, nothing to do with pictures or abs. 

Edited by Artisi

16 minutes ago, Artisi said:

The inference of your post was about fitness /activities, nothing to do with pictures or abs. 

I didn't infer anything. You (as the reader) are the one who 'infers'. I 'implied' that working out to get a six-pack and then posting the pictures online has nothing to do with Buddhism. Quite the opposite, actually. 

Edited by rkidlad

So, If I put on a orange robe and show my beer belly, will I then be famous ???? or arrested ??.

P.s If anybody want a six pack like that, I will  recommend  Photoshop.
In TOF ((Thai)land of 2-faces), it will not matter. 

Edited by BEngBKK
TipO.... TypeO