The week that was in Thailand news: No need to wait for April 1st - Thai news always delivers the goods!

rooster59

"Of course this is terrible; pedestrians deserve the right of way and safety on the sidewalks. But my little 20 meter long infraction saves me a round trip of around three kilometers.....think of the saving in carbon footprints and lessening in spluttering fumes for all my fellow Bangkokians?"

.. but then of course you most likely dismounted dismounted and walked pushing the "vehicle" to avoid making the infraction ????

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, inactiveposter said:

I would think being the wordsmith that you are, the PC and non-sexist term “server” would have popped to mind rather than “waiter.”

I have heard the term “ wait person” being used but not in Thailand of course.

5 hours ago, Dogbarker said:

"Of course this is terrible; pedestrians deserve the right of way and safety on the sidewalks. But my little 20 meter long infraction saves me a round trip of around three kilometers.....think of the saving in carbon footprints and lessening in spluttering fumes for all my fellow Bangkokians?"

.. but then of course you most likely dismounted dismounted and walked pushing the "vehicle" to avoid making the infraction ????

The LAW is THE LAW.

If not, one might be tempted to think they could string a Sharkline at your Head Height across the FOOTPATH, just prior to your next flagrant violation of the Laws of your HOST COUNTRY.

Perchance, wherever you come from such laws are violated on a regular basis, with no penalty ?

If this is the case, it may be better for all concerned if you return there as soon as possible.

4 hours ago, thaipara said:

Members of a certain vintage may remember, and prefer, waitron.

the PC crowd is turning to call everyone 'they' which is the new gender neutral buzz word. in Canada you can get fined for not guessing the right pronoun. we are all going to learn these buzz words as this nonsense infects the western world. maybe Thailand will be spared.

18 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

The LAW is THE LAW.

If not, one might be tempted to think they could string a Sharkline at your Head Height across the FOOTPATH, just prior to your next flagrant violation of the Laws of your HOST COUNTRY.

Perchance, wherever you come from such laws are violated on a regular basis, with no penalty ?

If this is the case, it may be better for all concerned if you return there as soon as possible.

Oh no? Oh ye who has cast the first stone, ye who never ever broken any law anywhere...even unintentionally! boring!

Oh no? Oh ye who has cast the first stone, ye who never ever broken any law anywhere...even unintentionally! boring!

Of course, like mist people, I may have broken a law or two BUT NOT 

in flagrant disrespect of said law.

I suppose if you were dragged up in a gutter somewhere, the act of Deliberately setting out to break the Law, comes as second nature to you. 

14 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

Of course, like mist people, I may have broken a law or two BUT NOT 

in flagrant disrespect of said law.

I suppose if you were dragged up in a gutter somewhere, the act of Deliberately setting out to break the Law, comes as second nature to you. 

The Thais must love you.

Thailand is by and large built on a flagrant disrespect for the law. While I accept that this is sometimes detrimental it is also an aspect of Thailand which helps to give the country its unmistakable and great charm.

I don't consider the country as my "host" as you put it in a previous post. I am a long term resident here and as such some of the essence of being Thai has rubbed off on me. Consequently if a law is silly or I can circumvent it when it matters not, as in the situation I referred to in the article, then I won't lose any sleep about breaking it. 

Incidentally you appear not to have read my previous 139 columns on consecutive Sundays. I am from the United Kingdom where I have no intention of returning despite your kind invitation. As a child I had enough of tedious people there moaning about riding a bicycle on the pavement to last a lifetime. 

Rooster

• Haha 1

I have to wonder if after over 2 years with Thaivisa, Rooster has not become a little condescending towards his audience and our inferior knowledge of the Thai language... he undoubtedly knew that the most common meaning of 

เหี้ย when pronounced by us mere mortals who haven’t had 4 decades in the Kingdom plus the obviously exceptional brain of Rooster, is the rather banal 4 letter word f... So I guess the laughs were heard far and wide in Ratchayotin rather than around the Sunday lunch tables of his readers!!

.. but then of course you most likely dismounted dismounted and walked pushing the "vehicle" to avoid making the infraction [emoji56]
Walk?? Shock horror!
Begs a question though: is it legal to push the motosy on the footpath? One might assume it is, but given we're talking Thailand, making assumptions isn't always wise.

Sent from my H4133 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 12/4/2018 at 11:52 AM, Jane Dough said:

The Thais must love you.

Thailand is by and large built on a flagrant disrespect for the law. While I accept that this is sometimes detrimental it is also an aspect of Thailand which helps to give the country its unmistakable and great charm.

I don't consider the country as my "host" as you put it in a previous post. I am a long term resident here and as such some of the essence of being Thai has rubbed off on me. Consequently if a law is silly or I can circumvent it when it matters not, as in the situation I referred to in the article, then I won't lose any sleep about breaking it. 

Incidentally you appear not to have read my previous 139 columns on consecutive Sundays. I am from the United Kingdom where I have no intention of returning despite your kind invitation. As a child I had enough of tedious people there moaning about riding a bicycle on the pavement to last a lifetime. 

Rooster

Dear Flagrant Jane,

Hope you sober-up and grasp the fact that laws, such as those prohibiting people riding “against” the traffic, are in place to protect all road users, not only the morons who choose to ignore them.

As mentioned, hope you sober-up before your “attitude” necessitates the placing of a “Jane Doe” tag, on your big left toe, as you are laid out on a slab in the mortuary.

Of greater concern is of course, that your Flagrant disregard for the Laws of your Host Country do not result in the injury or death of some innocent person in the Kingdom. Now ...be a good girl and behave !