The Official Glasgow Celtic Thread

That's a blow, was on a good run of form, a solid partnership with Fillip.

Reckon its now or never for Jose, much as I like him and do think there is a player in there, he is so prone to switching off, always seems to be injured, cant/wont play on lego pitches, just not sure about him now. There was a period with him and Eric the Dane where they looked solid but soon faded away. Joso seems to have went into terminal decline after the Hearts defeat last season, just never seemed to get that game out of his system.

Must say, recon Ajer is a better option, but he has that eye injury.

Celtic managed to throw 2 points away at Fir Park. Sure a missed penalty and a Benkovic goal that should have stood but Celtic were dreadful especially in the 2nd half. It was maddening watching them arsing about and as so often lately very little in the final third.

Christie put us ahead after good work by Tierney. The missed penalty and the disallowed goal aside we had far too many passengers. Griffiths starting tonight had a shocker apart from the penalty miss. Ntcham was annomomus, Hayes was poor.

But it was in the second half we were worse. Sinclair on for Ntcham very poor and Edouard and Rogic did little to improve things. As last Sunday Celtic cocked up several breaks to make the game safe and were caught with a few minutes to go. It was a terrific finish across goal in off the far post. Gambia was shocking letting the ball hop and then being hustled off it. Lustig for all his faults surely would have dealt with it.

I know we were subjected to several "agricultural challenges" but Griffiths, Edouard and Sinclair seem incapable of riding those and are far too easily hustled out of it by legitimate challenges. As a result we have no one to hold the ball up and make chances for others.

Should have been 3 or 4 up at HT & in the second half, we played like we were 3 or 4 up.

Standard of Referring again so poor, too many times, our players were totally taken out, with no attempt to play the ball.

Griff was so out of touch, Hayes is not on the same wavelength, and why play Ollie o the wing?

How difficult is it to put ball in net from 12 yards? And we are getting worse at corner's.

Will be interesting to see if Brown plays against Killie, much as I love the guy, its getting hard to argue his case, he just seems to slow things right down-great for seeing out a game out.

Gamboa at fault for goal, but he was taken out while in the air. I did think, up to that, he was having a positive game.

Watched the "highlights" the other night. I am a glutton for punishment.????  Definite foul on Gamboa. Referee was very poor.

I agree regarding Brown. His lack of pace is slowing things down and not helping. Always good to have him on the squad but not on starting eleven. This may well be his last season with Celtic. A great servant but times wait for no one.

A terrific display from the Bhoys and a 5-1 win over Killie. Celtic got off to a fast start with a goal in 5 minutes. Forrest got across his marker to sweep home a centre from Izaguirre replacing Tierney who had a slight strain and was not risked. Moving the ball quickly Celtic had the visitors under severe pressure. Rogic a good effort saved and just after the goalie made a good block from him. Edouard had 2 good chances within a minute which he missed through poor control and scuffing his shot. After 20 minutes Killie were starting to show sporadically. Gordon had to get down to block and Benkovic swept the loose ball away.

Just when you were beginning to get concerned Celtic struck again. Christie to Rogic a superb cushioned pass to Edouard who this time controlled well and fired into the top corner under some pressure. Sinclair has a dangerous centre with no takers as Celtic continued the onslaught. Killie were conceding frees and this cost them. A McGregor free was stabbed home by Lustig in 34 minutes and just before half time Christie had a superb free kick around the wall and in . The Bhoys came off at HT to rapturous applause from the faithful.

As you would expect the 2nd half while good was by contrast mundane. Benkovic conceded a penalty after 5 minutes when he sold himself at the edge of the box. 4-1 but Celtic kept up the pressure Forrest and Sinclair both hit the woodwork before Forrest made it 5-1 sweeping hope after a possible penalty. As expected Brendan made a few changes with an eye on next Thursday.

I would hope apart from Tierney returning the same 11 will start on Thursday night. Its a given that the Austrians will be formidable opponents.

A tongue in cheek piece on the second half :

https://www.celticnewsnow.com/news/celtic-fans-turn-on-their-team-after-dismal-second-half-draw-an-exclusive-by-keith-jackass/257867/

• Thanks 1

Fine report, Salty old son.

Again I watched highlights of the game. A fine looking team performance. I think we may have seen the last of Brown. We seem to move the ball around much quicker when he is out. 

Looking forward to Thursday. May set my alarm for that one.

Outstanding first half team performance, some of our first touch football was a joy to watch and with an end product. Izzy was filling in for KT and had a great game. That has now got to be our first choice starting 11-the 10 from yesterday plus KT. Sinclair does give the team good balance, links up well, just seems his final ball/finish is still lacking. Griff continues to piss me off, even his body language looks off at the moment.

With regard to Brown, he will have an important part to play, coming on to kill the game. And there will be injuries and suspensions, so I see an important part for both SB and French Ollie.

Get well soon, LG, Celtic family are right behind you, believe there will be a tribute at the 9th min tonight, great stuff. In time of trouble, YNWA.

Griff issue should further charge emotions tonight, expecting a cracker of a night, have to go for the win, team should pick itself, Saturdays team plus KT. Visitors may rest a few but will have quality replacements, with a point to prove.

Not ideal time for recruitment but an important transfer window coming up soon and, after making a total pigs ear of the last on, a chance to strengthen must surely be priority. For me, key areas have not changed for now-Right back, Center half, left sided attacker and a strong striker who can hold up play.

Biggest challenge in the next few windows will be offloading the dead wood-DDV, Gamboa, Ralston, Hendry, Comper, Kouassi, Allen, Hayes, Biton, Benyu. This 10 out and 3 or 4 quality players in would be good business.

Lots of speculation about the future of head of recruitment, seems he is not too popular amongst the fans, probably fall guy for recent transfer window failures, guess we really don’t know what he does or does not achieve. I know who I would replace him with-Ronny Deila, made some awesome signings.

Celtic made it to the last 32 when Rosenborg grabbed a late goal to draw in Leipzig which was a highly unlikely outcome. 

We were outclassed by Saltzburg. From the start they were all over us. Swift passing, movement had us chasing shadows. We were not helped by the inability of several players to make any impression. Rogic had a nightmare and Edouard and Sinclair displayed all the usual failings. The ball luckily failed to cross the line after coming off the bar and Gordon made some terrific saves. Lustig was injured early on and replaced by Ajer mid way in the half. He made a suicidal back pass soon after but Gordon got us out of jail again. 

It was hugely relieving to reach the oasis of HT on level terms,

Sinclair was replaced by Brown and it helped to stop some of the pressure on us. Christie was badly injured as he tackled and carried off. This is surely bad news as he is likely to be out for some time. Ntcham replaced him. Celtic were seeing a bit more of the play but the menace of Salzburg was always evident. They struck midway through the half. An excellent centre and a powerful close range header which Gordon got a hand to but couldn't keep out. Sadly this was not the only bad news as some moron hit one of the Saltzburg players as they celebrated. Hopefully he can be identified and banned. EUFA are unlikely to be impressed. 

The visitors cliched it with 12 minutes to go with Gordon's howler. I hate seeing these kamikaze passing at the back in dangerous situations, and would much prefer hoofing it upfield. Celtic were making efforts to get back into and Ajer missed a great chance close in. It could well have gone in without any intervention. Then came the dramatic news from Leipzig and suddenly the faithful were in full voice. I switched to watch the closing stages and Rosenborg held on to claim their only point in the group and put us through. It was only on replay I saw the penalty which Ntcham netted on the rebound.

Judging by possible opponents I would not be optimistic of our chances og going further. Hopefully we can get some decent recruits before then to give us a fighting chance.

Lets hear it for balo. Hopefully he meets a Celt today who will buy him a drink or two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never expected Norwegians to get anything out of their game, a big thanks to them. We were totally outclassed, they are a very good side, their pressing without the ball and their link up play was outstanding. Eddies lack of hold up ability again exposed.

Christies injury is a blow, looked nasty, hope he will be back soon. With Griff out, reckoned he was an alternative in case anything happened to Eddie. Get well soon, Ryan. His injury should see some game time for Ollie, not a bad alternative.

Gordon made some fine saves to keep us in it but then drops a clanger. Felt a bit for Aussie Tam, just one of those games when nothing came off for him. Sinclair is really starting to hack me off, just won’t tackle and there is no alternative, just Hayes??

Quick turnaround, Hibs away on Sunday. Expect to see Gamboa and Ollie start, Eddie is looking tired but we don’t have any choice.

• Thanks 1

Absolutly shocking performance. We did have 5 first regulars missing-so did Hibs-but were able to call on some big stars. First minute conceded, what a space their guy had on the left hand side. Their keeper never had a save to make until around the hour mark, Brown a tad lucky not to see red for a dreadful tackle, I did think Sinclair was decent in first half, always seemed to find his teammates with his passing.

Second half, Ollie came into it a bit but our passing was poor, we seemed to take too much time on the ball and found Hibs hungry. Their second clinching goal came from a quick break again, acers of space vacant on left side. We did deliver several low crosses into the box but no one to attack the ball. Eddie so poor again. Johnstone and Morgan showed well when introduced, Hayes corner summed him up.

Good luck in Europe , you'll need that but anything can happen now.

Rosenborg will learn from their experience , a new coach in next season and new players so who knows , maybe they will face Celtic again in the Europa League ? 

But first you need to secure the title in Scotland, seems it's more open now than for many years. 

Yes it was a dreadful performance. Hibs very worthy winners. Kieran Tierney the biggest miss. Izaguirre was too slow a couple of seasons ago and when caught upfield as he was for both goals hasn't a hope of getting back. Jozo very easily left for dead for the opener.

In general apart from Forrest the side were rubbish. When Hayes comes on as a sub things are really bad. He had the worst corner of the season and that is no mean feat an observation made on one of the forum accounts. Johnstone or Morgan much better options as they showed when they breathed a bit of life into the side.

Shocking tackle from Brown who was very lucky not to be sent off.

Very depressing day. Between Thursday and today we are carrying more passengers than Ryan Air.

32 minutes ago, balo said:

Good luck in Europe , you'll need that but anything can happen now.

Rosenborg will learn from their experience , a new coach in next season and new players so who knows , maybe they will face Celtic again in the Europa League ? 

But first you need to secure the title in Scotland, seems it's more open now than for many years. 

I think your countrymen bought us a stay of excution. I would be amazed if we went any further in the tournament.

Yes the title is by far the most important objective. And by no means certain especially after today's shocking display.

A comfortable 3-0 win last night. One change Ralston for Ajer was not terribly reassuring. The almost forgotten Ralston went on to have a fine game . Early on his dangerous centre had no takers in front of goal. He was getting acres of room but further crosses all over hit. But then after a good pass from Edouard he shot pass the goalie from close range. He has a good engine and gets up and down without too much effort. Hopefully he can go on to have a decent run in the side. 

Within 2 minutes Forrest breaking through was fouled in the area by a "tackle" that would have been applauded in Murrayfield. Sinclair scored with a well taken effort. Otherwise disappointing again. Edouard then went off injured and must be doubtful for Saturday. He needs a rest IMHO as apart from setting up Ralston his was the usual frustrating display. When I saw Hayes getting up from the bench I was horrified but thankfully only to let young Johnston get ready for action. Just on HT he made it 3 with a superb goal in off the underside of the bar.

I had to keep reloading the stream I was on so I saw little of the 3rd quarter. Ntcham wasted a good chance due to lack of pace. It was hardly riveting stuff as the points were in safe keeping. 

Hopefully Tierney, Boyata and Rogic will all be fit for next weeks away games. I would not be confident with last nights line up. 

A comfortable win in the end, second half seemed about being just killing the game, reserve energy. Ralston made the most of his chance, showed good energy, getting into great positions, good on the ball, sure his crossing was not great at times, think I counted 5 crosses in the first half. Johnston too was positive, these are the type of players that should be capable of making an impression against the likes of Motherwell. Both Sinclair and Eddie continue to be poor. Eddie is injured now, not sure how serious but that’s our only striker out, the guy has been badly in need of a rest. What has become of Jake, the kid who scored when only 16 a few seasons ago? Guess we are just going to have to go with a false No 9. Sinclair has used up most of his first season credit with me. Also, it was noticeable that Izzys legs are gone, this back up position for KT needs addressing also, ideal scenario would be to buy a new fullback, who is comfortable on both wings, hard to find, I know. There seems to be some young American guy lined up for right back, plenty of positive talk about the kid.

Great so see that CMcG has committed till 2023, must say that he does not seem to have same influence on games when Brown plays. With Dundee up next, he may be rested for the game, another who has a lot of game time recently. Would be good to see some of our injured players get some game time against Dundee.

In Europe, we were drawn against Valencia, not that bad of a draw.

So onwards and upwards, 3 games left before winter break, nothing less than 9 points required.

Superb team performance, Johnstone, who was superb with his link up play, scored with a brilliant turn for first and added a second after HT. Benko added third and we are left bewildered that the score was only 3, could and should have been a lot more. We did switch off after our first and they had a half chance but they were poor overall. Bain had little to do, but I liked his quick throw outs. Ralston was full of running, passed well and showed great energy getting forward, still not sure of him defensively. Sinclair had a great game, just poor finishing. Great to see RC back. We played some very crisp passing at times, will have pleased manager.

Did not see as unable to get a stream. Johnston another assured display. Good to see Sinclair played well and Christie returning to action.

Our away form has been very iffy. Big question now is the starting eleven for Pitroddie. Presumably a few of the big hitters were rested with two away games in mind. The one certainty is no TR for the Glasgow Derby. Both look difficult fixtures.

Yes, certainly some big calls for next 2 games. Manager does have his favorites and has previous for always reverting to his old reliable. I would expect to see:

CG return in goal.

ML back at RB, although I would play AR against Aberdeen.

DB to replace Joso. Joso has done little wrong but has not had a lot of defending to do. He is very predictable on the ball and negative also, I reckon his substitution yesterday was more to do with Ayer getting game time.

KT at LB, Izzy has been pretty effective with his link up play.

I would expect a midfield three of CMcG, TR & RC against Aberdeen, with JF, SS and Johnstone up top.

With Tam being hooked for last game, expect to see Brown back, so want him in that tunnel and the engine room, never plays bad against that lot. Must say, poor decision by Aussie team manager.

A welcome win at Pittrodie today after an eventful game. The heroes were Sinclair and Edouard who have attracted plenty of criticism of late. Sinclair scoring 3 and Edouard making a stunning impact from the bench in the 2nd half.

We had gone ahead early when a superb ball from Christie sent McGregor away, his centre bounced off the shin of a defender to Sinclair who was on the spot to score. Boyata returning after injury looked rusty and we were having difficulty clearing our lines. A stupid tackle by Izaguirre when he had no hope of stopping a centre conceded a penalty which produced the equalizer. McGinn was lucky to stay on after a studs up challenge on Christie.  

Izaguirre was hooked at HT replaced by Hayes who was decent enough. He won't give you anything in forward areas but he had one excellent tackle in the area and did ok. Celtic were now having plenty of the ball without looking very threatening. The arrival of Edouard changed things dramatically. What was really annoying me was the lack of decent ball to Forrest who as a consequence was very quiet. Edouard played an excellent ball to him, Forrest a good centre and Sinclair in between too defenders finished with aplomb. 

With 15 minutes to go you hoped this would be enough but Celtic were still looking uncertain in defence. Aberdeen got a second penalty when Shinnie went down theatrically after the slighest contact from Lustig. It looked to be a dive but it did expose Lustig's lack of pace.

It looked like 2 points thrown away but Edouard receiving from Forrest twisted around and dinked superbly over Lewis and in to go ahead again. Within 2 minutes he burst past 2 defenders pulled it back and the lurking Sinclair completed his hat trick. Still time for Aberdeen to pull one back from a corner as Ajer on for Benkovic went to sleep from a corner. Thankfully we held on for a huge 3 points.

So on to the Glasgow derby on Saturday. It does'nt look like Tierney is going to make it. Hopefully Boyata will be more like his usual self after today's outing. Benkovic has been giving away a few silly frees lately diving in on tackles he has no hope of winning. We cannot afford to give them any help. Who the presumably two full backs are is going to be cruical.

Massive 3 pts after drama at Pittrodie, what an impact Eddie had. With both teams starting to tier, he was the ideal man to bring on. So reminded me of when introduced at Ibrox last season when he netted winner. I think he is so good coming in from the left.

2 dreadful decisions from Ref nearly cost us, Shinnies blatant dive (And he was on about class after cup final?) and that 2 footed, studs up tackle that could have done serious damage to Christie.

Must say, especially in first half, Gordon was dreadful with his distribution, especially in first half, looked like BR  was going mental at one stage. Sometimes, if a secure pass is not on, put laces through ball. Boyata did have some goofy moments too.

Izzy was totally reckless for their penalty, sort of tackle you would never expect an experienced pro to make.

Must say, not surprised to see him hooked at HT, cost us against Hibs also.

That's 2 good games on the bounce now for Sinclair, so hopefully, that's him back on song.

CMcG seems to be a tad withdrawn within himself when Brown is playing. Brown did play well.

No doubt KT is a massive loss or us.

Ajer too easily bullied for their 3rd. Saying that, all 3 goals were totally avoidable.  (Cosgrove did demonstrate how a penalty should be struck).

So massive game left as we travel across town before winter break. Looking like KT will miss out, I would like to see CMcG play L/B with Ollie coming into midfield and Eddie in for Tam.

Edited by hackjam
  • Like 1

Totally outplayed, Boyata back to his bomb scare worst, Lustig totally exposed, it’s also crystal clear that Brown and Ollie don’t work together. Can’t believe Johnston was not tried out on the wing when it was never happening for him up front.  How many times did we kick out the ball for a throw in?

Christie tried hard but none of our flair players performed. Ralston was solid with his defending, Gordon made some great saves but pathetic distribution.

This defeat highlighted a lot of what we already knew. A chance to regroup now and lots of big decisions to be made.

Need to focus on league now, we are still in pole position but we cannot afford to throw away any more points, especially after European games.

• Thanks 1

A well deserved win for The Rangers in the Glasgow Derby. Celtic were dreadful and fortunate to escape with a 0-1.

We were overrun in midfield where Ntcham and Brown were far too slow to compete. As a consequence we spent most of the game firefighting. Boyata gave the ball away several times in dangerous areas putting us under even more pressure. Gordon apart from a hospital pass to Boyata kept us in with a series of good saves. Lustig again cost us with his inability to stop crosses cost us again.

Jack availed of the chance to score with Gordon beaten by a deflection from Brown. In a fast moving game that was 3 players who were far too slow to compete with the opposition.

McGregor was easily our best player. He was the only player to carry a threat and was marginally offside when he netted late on to almost snatch a draw which would have been undeserved on the run of play. He was a huge loss in the middle of the park. Young Johnston and later Edouard had little chance with desperation clearances and no help from behind apart from McGregor. 

Hopefully the the powers that be will realise we cannot keep carrying passengers when the going gets tough. No one is going to hand us the title and the break will see us making significant improvements in playing personnel.

• Like 1

It's a race now, Rangers outplayed Celtic today. I watched the game on a poor stream, but what I saw was a Rangers team full of fighting spirit, they just wanted more and were all over Celtic.

Gerrard really have transformed this team.  I still think you will win the title, but it will be a close one.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A welcome break, coming at a good time, need to regroup big time. And strengthen.

So far, 3 rookies in, Burke should provide back up for Forrest, the other 2 seem to be the same old, work in progress. And none are target men/hold up play. So upfront, seems we are covered but, for me, we need a short term proven striker, someone like Peter Crouch, Benteke. The 3 additions should see Sinclair back to a bit part player, he just can’t seem to kick on.

Defense is still a major worry, Lustig in long term decline, Boyata not committed and no cover for KT.

So we are crying out for defensive signings.

Disappointing to see that none of the dead wood dozen or so, none have been moved on.

Also, worrying that Aussi Tam has suffered a hand injury and it’s also rumored that he has been carrying a long term knee issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Now almost 3 weeks into the window and the major issues still not addressed-defense. A contributing factor to the lack of quality recruitment seems to be the lack of movement with the dozen deadwood.

Later today, a cup game against lower division opposition. Will be interesting to see the team selection.

For me, both Ralston and Johnston have shown enough to jump ahead of ML & SS. We may also see one our loan signings start upfront instead of Eddie, who is recovering from injury. Bain may start in goal, CG is never going to improve his distribution. Ollie should start alongside CMcG, with Christie in the no 10 role.

Disturbing to read about KT, seems to be a bit of a mystery, looking like he will be out for a while longer. Seems to me like its a combination of being asked to play too much and some of those red card type tackles he has been subjected to over the past few years finally taking their tool. Guy needs more protection from Refs and his game time needs better management. Lack of adequate back up could also be a contributing factor, Izzy has been in decline for 3 years now, and this issue not been addressed-and now we pay a high price with KT out of action.