Getting laptops repaired in BKK

semtech

Im travelling to BKK this month and I will have two laptops with me. One is an hp 4740s and the other is an hp 6560b. Both of them have problems that I thought I might get fixed whilst in Bangkok. The first machine has a dodgy power adapter connector where the power cord connects to the computer, will not always charge. It also has a screen that flickers with green spots periodically and is fixed by adjusting  the angle of the screen - may be a dodgy ribbon connector ? The second machine has a failed wifi board. I would also like to change their 8gb chips to 16 gb ( 2 x 8 gb ) for each machine.

I know that these machines are nearing the end of life but if I get them fixed I will extend their period of use and so save some money. I just wondered whether anyone had found a reliable shop in BKK that can do this sort of work. I would also worry about the quality of the work, data security and the loss of the machines themselves. Im interested to hear other peoples experiences and thoughts. cheers

For when it comes to data security, remove the hard drives. It takes seconds.

Instead of wasting money on unnecessary RAM, swap the old HDD for solid state drives. You'll get a much better overall result for less money.

Take a minute to remove each drive.

The Wireless LAN module on the HP ProBook 6560b; https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c02828801 is also user-replaceable. Another two minute job.

But how do you know that the card has failed?

Since these devices have user friendly maintenance hatches, the components in question can be accessed in less than a minute.

So keep the HP ProBook 6560b out of their clutches. You can swap the HDD for an SSD and fit a new Wireless LAN card yourself.

HP ProBook 4740s you can take into the shop. Should you source your own parts? Probably or take it to an official HP service centre. But document exactly what is wrong, lest it come out with more problems than with it went in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lklih3MBeaM

The other thing is, that HP employ a 'whitelist' to prevent you from installing accessories not on their approved lists. So HP Wireless card only. You might imagine that locks you into their more expensive parts. ????

You can remove this restriction, but in order to do so you would need to renew the laptop's firmware. HP won't do it for you. Nor will the average technician. The other option may to change the ID of the new Wireless Card to fool the machine into thinking it's the HP version.