Appartment Rental Warranty... The Classical 'we Won't Pay It Back' Technique. Help Needed...

Just had my girlfriend on the phone. She was pretty upset, because she moves out the apartment and the owner is not willing to pay back the warranty of the apartment. As she has been taking care very well of the apartment and as the rental period has come to an end, there is no reason why they shouldn't pay it back.

The reason for my writing is that I would like to get some ideas and options to put pressure to get the warranty money back.

I suggested my girlfriend in any case not to give back the key as long she has not received the warranty in return.

I also suggested her, as this is a mafia practice in Thailand, to tell the owner with a smile on her face that if they don't want to pay back the warranty she will keep the key for herself and she will destroy everything inside the room, to make clear the owner he won't make any profit with that warranty he wants to keep for himself.

These are mafia practices against mafia practice.

I would like to know if there are other legal methods. If she calls the police, will she able to get any help?

Note that the warranty is belonging to the name of her mother and she will present herself together with here mother at the office of the apartment.

Note also, I'm unable to be on-site as I'm home at the moment and not in Thailand.

Here's a useful link that may help.

My wife called these guys and said that they can only really put pressure on a single body whose actions are affecting the public at large (i.e. more than one person) but it seems that other posters had better experiences.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81847

Other than that, her options are limited.

Since your GF threatened the landlord, he might change the locks on the door, and keep her belongings. If that happens, what will your GF do next? What are you going to do - pay her the deposit back? If I were you, I'd keep clear of the situation. It does not concern you - it is between her and her landlord.

Just had my girlfriend on the phone. She was pretty upset, because she moves out the apartment and the owner is not willing to pay back the warranty of the apartment. As she has been taking care very well of the apartment and as the rental period has come to an end, there is no reason why they shouldn't pay it back.

It's not completely clear to me if the landlord is refusing to return the deposit, or if he is just refusing to return it immediately. It's quite normal not to return the deposit until the final phonebill has arrived. What was the reason given by the landlord for not refunding the deposit?

Keeping the key will make no difference what-so-ever, they will just change the locks. It may just alienate the landlord making it completely impossible to solve the solution.

Sophon

just don't pay the last months rent.

Oh thats clever - go in breach of the contract and NO chance of ever getting your deposit back as you breached the contract. Very very few places will not return a deposit unless their is an underlying reason.

Oh thats clever - go in breach of the contract and NO chance of ever getting your deposit back as you breached the contract. Very very few places will not return a deposit unless their is an underlying reason.

Are you sure you're talking about Thailand?

eh??

it seems that most of the places actually do try it on, especially with farang tenants in the tourist traps

after all wouldnt you if half of them or so were stupid enough to let you get away with it, helps pay the monthly on the shiny new 4x4

Edited by smartecosse