Getting My Security Deposit Back Upon Move-out

Anyone with experience on this? If I move out of my apartment one or two weeks before the end of my rental contract, can I expect to get my two months deposit back? My last month in the apartment will be fully paid for. I'm talking about the two months deposit I gave up when I first moved in the apartment. The apartment I rented last year refused to give my one month deposit back, citing my moving out a week before the contract ended.

I'm hearing that many places will keep the deposit, quoting some ridiculous rule/regulation that states they can't return the deposit. IF they do this, what kind of recourse do I have? I'm stressing over this. I would ask the office about this, but might not get an honest answer.

If Mods remove the name of the complex, please PM me if you've had experience with this! Thanks

I'm hearing that many places will keep the deposit, quoting some ridiculous rule/regulation that states they can't return the deposit. IF they do this, what kind of recourse do I have? I'm stressing over this. I would ask the office about this, but might not get an honest answer.

If Mods remove the name of the complex, please PM me if you've had experience with this! Thanks

If you have paid the full last month, where is the problem ? Even if you have moved out before.

Anyway, regarding the security deposit. They have a special service (like consummer protection), with a hot line, where you can ask for an inquiry.

Basically, the info is passed to some officials. Then they call the owner/manager of the building. And because this is Thailand, suddendly, you get back "leo leo" your deposit. Magic. I've done it once.

I ask the phone number to my thai friend, and get back to you ASAP.

Presumably you have a written lease - and if so it will spell out the conditions for the return of the deposit. Many places issue English or bilingual versions of the lease. If it is only in Thai, get a translation.

In my experience, the main point of deduction from deposits, is any breakeages or losses in the inventory, (note sometimes the lease calls for the place to be re-decorated if there is any noticeable dilapidations), and any outstanding bills - eg water, electricity. telephone.

Normally the landlord would inspect the premises with you before you vacate, and you would agree any resorations to be made.

It is not unusal to wait about 2 months for the return of your deposit, after the deductions mentioned above. If there is any delay beyond this, you must continue to hassle them until they pay you. You have legal redress, but that's a long process. Phone calls 2 - 3 times a day usually does the trick.

Phone number : 1166.

In my case, the manager was late to pay back the deposit (3 months (instead of 2 months)) and wasn't answering to phone calls ("not here", "went up country", "went temple" etc.).

And no wrong doing from my side (damages, nor late payment of rent).

So one phone call to 1166 (by a thai national of course), explaining the problem. And the day after, the problem was over : manager called back and gave back the money.

Very efficient.

:o