Oh No, Not Another Freaking Guitar Thread!

Stubby

Yet another guitar request for Chiang Mai's musicians. 

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, the ideal guitar is subjective depending on what a person wants and experts. The trouble is I’m not sure, hence this post. 

A BEAUTIFUL GUITAR MAY SOUND AS IT LOOKS

See, I’ve never had what you might call a beautiful guitar. OK, my Ibanez Exotic Wood electric acoustic model looks pretty, but it was a mistake at 17,000 Baht. I’ve never had an acoustic with smooth low action or a WOW sound from a single strum. Alas, the handmade Taylors and other big brands are well out of my league. But are there any superb mid-range models in Chiang Mai that you savvy musicians can suggest?

THE HIGH COST OF THAILAND

I know that guitars cost a lot in Chiang Mai, and Thailand more generally. Does that apply to all decent brands? 

Feel free to throw a few suggestions out at around 20,000 if you have any ideas, folks. But please, no 3000 Baht cheapos as I’ve already got better than that.

Thanks in advance,

Stubby

Well: You want steel-string acoustic ? You gotta have new ? Why is the Ibanez a "mistake" ?

My brother in the US has had good results buying Chinese dreadnought copies of Martin models on-line, trimming/polishing the frets, putting in bone saddle and nut, adjusting the action, sometimes replacing existing electronic pick-ups with better quality, etc.

His local musician friends liked the under US $5~600 results so much that he's doing one or two a month for them for a small profit (he is not in business, publicly).

cheers, ~o:37;

Thanks for that ~o:37;

Yes, I have seen the Chinese dreadnought copies of Martin online but I'm not convinced. I know the Chinese have got a lot better in recent years in just about everything. There's just something about Chines made (not Chinese assembled) that keeps me away.  I'd prefer a new mode - who wouldn't - but I may take a look at FolkGuitar's secondhand offer later today, if it's still around.

Thanks for posting,

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

2 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

It might be a good idea to ask your question on this site - Chiang Mai Musicians and Performers - for some additional expert opinions

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chiang-mai-musicians-and-performers-1491504297562821/

Regards,

Joe

Thanks for the link, Joe, but I'm all sorted now. Couldn't be happier with my new instrument ????

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Was curious - went to Martin website.

They got a 1936 model for $64,999

Would it do ?

It would do me and my my bank balance, that latter in a negative way ????

On 12/22/2018 at 4:50 PM, holy cow cm said:

So what did you end up getting? And from where? 

I got the Sigma DR-45 (mint condition) from member Folk Guitar. I also got a whole bunch of extras that wasn't expected. I'm one happy camper :)