Military service for dual citizens

SwissthaiSGT

Hi everyone,

I come from switzerland born from a swiss father and thai mother, i’m 19 years old and soon i’m going to acquire thai citizenship from the embassy. So as said in the title i’d like to ask some questions to peoples who are familiar with the subject. I’ve already served my country as a soldier and i would like to know if it is possible to serve in thailand as well. I already know that dual citizens are not elligible for conscription but what if they volunteer themselves? Would it be possible?

All infos are welcome! Thanks

I dont have the answer to your question, but i can imagine they would not want you in their force for the simple reason they dont know where your loyalty lies. After 19 years you acquire Thai citizenship, and want to join their army? Sounds like a spy to me... If they would allow it, I can imagine thousands of American born Chinese and RUssians all of a sudden wanting to go to those countries and serve there as well, especially for the more "sensitive" parts of the military.

Are you fluent in Thai by the way?

And mostly, why would you want to serve in the Thai army? 

Its not a career opportunity like in the USA, and you will have trouble making it "pay" (higher ranking jobs pay well, although not through the salary you receive... you need family wealth and connections, without those you wont even reach a decent rank).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Have you cleared up that Thailand is going to recognize your Swiss citizenship? 

You are in the middle of it so you know more than me, but I thought the way it worked was Thailand essentially does not allow dual citizens. But, and this us a big but, there are dual citizens all over who just sorta keep their other passport and don't necessarily waive it around in Thailand (becausr they are not supposed to be a dual citizen). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SwissthaiSGT said:

I already know that dual citizens are not elligible for conscription...

Who told you that? It is a requirement for you to serve unless you are exempted. Being a dual national does not automatically grant you an exemption. Not being able to read and write Thai will not automatically exempt you either.

The most important thing is that you are listed in a blue tabien baan (house book), somewhere in Thailand, after you receive your Thai ID card.

If you volunteer and are accepted the minimum service would be 6 months. If you are drafted, are accepted and are then part of the minority selected by random ballot then the minimum period is 2 years.

Good luck to you. It's refreshing to see a man who accepts the obligations as well as the privaledges of dual nationality, and I give you great credit for your positive attitude.

My friend's son is 22 years old and just graduated from university in the USA. He's a dual citizen and he has a Thai military obligation. He's signing up for 6 months in 2019 as he doesn't want to risk the lottery and the potential two year obligation. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Goldbear said:

My friend's son is 22 years old and just graduated from university in the USA. He's a dual citizen and he has a Thai military obligation. He's signing up for 6 months in 2019 as he doesn't want to risk the lottery and the potential two year obligation. 

There's no risk.

My son got drafted and there were over 100 drafties for the lottery.

They got him to wait to the last three and he got the black ball as he was the last one.

The same thing happened to the son of a Belgian guy I know.

They really don't want Thais with a foreign father in the Army.

• Like 2

Hi everyone,
I come from switzerland born from a swiss father and thai mother, i’m 19 years old and soon i’m going to acquire thai citizenship from the embassy. So as said in the title i’d like to ask some questions to peoples who are familiar with the subject. I’ve already served my country as a soldier and i would like to know if it is possible to serve in thailand as well. I already know that dual citizens are not elligible for conscription but what if they volunteer themselves? Would it be possible?

All infos are welcome! Thanks
Advice to you: check with the Swiss Embassy, whether under Swiss Military criminal law, you are allowed to serve in a secondary army, since you already served in Switzerland.

It would be no issue if the Thai army would be your first choice, you would then be exempt from serving in the Swiss army, but obliged to pay exempt taxes should you go back to live in Switzerland while still in military serving age.

HOWEVER serving in a secondary army might not be allowed from a Swiss point of view, even under dual citicenship

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app