Wireless Printer Server

rogerdee123

I use wireless all the time from my laptop ... but I know absolutely nothing about setting up wireless networks etc ... Frankly I have problems with my small (6 computer) ethernet network.

In the Airport I saw some Belkin hardware for sale including wireless routers, ADSL modems, and a wireless printer server.

Does anyone here use a wireless printer server?

If so, how does it work/connect. Do you just connect it to the printer by USB, plug it in and turn it on and you can access the printer via your (wireless capable) laptop or desktop?

Actually I'm interested in the new (Apple) Airport Extreme which is a combo wireless router and wireless (USB device .. including printer) server. But it probably won't be available here in Bkk for awhile.

But back to the question .... how easy/difficult is it to set up a wireless printer server?

I have been using a wireless print server for about 6 months now, with no problems whatsoever. It is a Linksys WPS54G.

Setup was easy; I followed the instructions carefully and it took only 5 minutes, with almost no intervention on my part. But I have found that Linksys generally provides excellent setup software -- I cannot speak for other brands.

....Actually I'm interested in the new (Apple) Airport Extreme which is a combo wireless router and wireless (USB device .. including printer) server. But it probably won't be available here in Bkk for awhile....

All models of the Airport Extreme have always included a USB connection for a printer which allows it to function as both a print server and wireless access point. I've used one here for several years. As I recall, the set up was entirely automatic using the standard Apple software provided with it. Frankly, my Airport Extreme has been so reliable over the years I have never had to shut it down and I can't remember precisely what I had to do to get the print server function running when I did the initial set up. My best memory is that it was absolutely nothing. Just get the current model of the Airport Extreme and plug it in. Let the PC people worry about scripts and set ups.

If you just want to share a printer, go for a print server but if it is a USB printer make sure it (and its drivers) are compatible with the print server you are going to use.

If you have other USB devices that you want to share between multiple PCs there are neat USB servers that also work with scanners, faxes, usb hard drives etc etc (really everything except 'streaming' devices like headsets, web cams etc)

http://www.silexamerica.com/us/products/ne.../usb/index.html