Work Permit, Cost, Taxes, Salary

i am an american living in chiang rai. i have recently been offered a teaching position by a local university. i see from other postings that a teacher needs to make 60,000 b a month. i have been offered 25,000. will this be a problem?

secondly, will it cost anything to get the work permit - i already have a 1 year marriage visa?

third, what is the tax rate i will have to pay?

thanks in advance

i am an american living in chiang rai. i have recently been offered a teaching position by a local university. i see from other postings that a teacher needs to make 60,000 b a month. i have been offered 25,000. will this be a problem?

secondly, will it cost anything to get the work permit - i already have a 1 year marriage visa?

third, what is the tax rate i will have to pay?

thanks in advance

The work permit should be the responsibility of the employer, and you need to have their unqualified support to get it.

Technically Americans, Canadians and I believe Japanese nationals are supposed

to earn 40,000-60,000 baht to get a work permit, but an exemption is made for English teachers (I presume because most teachers earn such low wages and the

country needs them, go figure). I'm not sure how you can manage on 25,000 baht

a month; maybe you have other income as well.

Many teachers don’t make 60,000 baht. Thai Unis etc pay 25k you may get something like free accommodation, meals. The question is how much can you live on? Working in a Uni is very prestigious in Thailand but not very well paid. Try www.ajarn.com

PS the above post may or may not be correct. Know one knows. Thai government Unis, Rajabhats pay 25,000 k. So the 40,000 – 60,000 baht a month rule can’t apply. Unless they plan to give everyone a pay rise, which I doubt. Maybe the government ministries haven’t thought that far, which I suspect.

Most likely the pay minimums apply to business workers.

Yeah the wages shouldn't effect teachers.....although I don't think anything's been 100% confirmed in regards to this.

Teacher's licence is 500 Baht

Work permit for a teacher is 3,000 Baht

You can indeed get a WP on a Non-imm O!

Ajarn (are you the Mig from there mate?) is a good resource for teachers here!