First Vigo 3.0d4d Oil Change At 1000km

Pattaya Dave

I'm coming up soon for the first oil change at 1000km on my new Toyota Vigo D4D. I was curious as to the quality and choices of oil and brand name available at the Toyota Dealership for the diesel engine. Is there a selection of oil brands, viscosities and quality available or is there only a choice of one, whatever the dealer decides to use? Is the oil and viscosity and brand supplied through the dealerships standard throughout Thailand? I ask this because I may not always be able to return to the same dealership in the event that I am travelling.

I live in Pattaya and I am most interested in the service provided at the two Pattaya area dealerships. Also, I would like to hear from those who live in Pattaya whether they have a preference of the service performed at one Toyota Dealership over the other and why.

Since I do travel, I would also like to hear of Toyota dealerships in other cities concerning oil changes and service.

Bottom line, I would like to start out with the same oil brand, viscosity and quality of oil and maintain this consistency throughout the life of the engine.

Thanks,

Pattaya Dave

G,day Dave,

I have just recently purchased a Vigo Prerunner 2wd Double cab. Had it in for its first 1000k service.. Asked about an oil change and was advised that first change should be at the 5000k service. I looked at my (english ) service book

and it states that first oil change @ 5000k. then every 10,000k after that..?

cheers,

lesdunbar

PS The english service book cost Baht 674 including vat. from my local Toyota dealer.

G,day Dave,

I have just recently purchased a Vigo Prerunner 2wd Double cab. Had it in for its first 1000k service.. Asked about an oil change and was advised that first change should be at the 5000k service. I looked at my (english ) service book

and it states that first oil change @ 5000k. then every 10,000k after that..?

cheers,

lesdunbar

PS The english service book cost Baht 674 including vat. from my local Toyota dealer.

What do they do on the 1000k check? You're correct in that I don't have the English Service Book as yet, it should arrive in another 2 weeks or so. I made my Toyota Dealership throw in the English Service Book and Owners Manual as part of the purchase contract.

Ok, my initial post is still applicable, as far as future services are concerned beginning at 5000k.

Pattaya Dave

When they did the 1000 km. service on my Vigo, I asked them to change the oil and the oilfilter.

I think it was a good idea, even Toyota do not demand that.

But I am not sure of the type of oil used, I will have a look tomorrow.

North

They check all the fluids and the filter adn check the bolts and screws if everything is still steady, no need to replace the filter at 1.000 KM is my opinion.

next stop would be at 10.000 as they advised me haven't taken a look in the manual yet

but a little bit surprised that you come up with 5.000 for the next check

J

They check all the fluids and the filter adn check the bolts and screws if everything is still steady, no need to replace the filter at 1.000 KM is my opinion.

next stop would be at 10.000 as they advised me haven't taken a look in the manual yet

but a little bit surprised that you come up with 5.000 for the next check

J

Thanks Jimbo. I don't remember where I got the information concerning a 5,000 km service. I thought that I had seen it on a chart at the dealership; I may have gotten it confused with a different model vehicle.

I would still like to find out what brands of oil, viscosity and quality of oil is available at the Toyota dealerships such as, do they offer synthetic oils as a selection.

Also, I would like to know if these selections are available throughout the Toyota dealership in Thailand in the event that I am not near my local dealership when a service check comes due.

I guess I need to make a visit to my Toyota dealership to find out first hand what they have to offer, however that may or may not help me too much concerning other Toyota dealerships.

Pattaya David

Edited by PattayaDavid

I always use Toyota's own Motor Oil SL/CF 5W-40 100% Synthetic, in my Vigo 3.0D4D 4X4. First service @ 1000km then at every 10,000km intervals i.e. 10,000 then 20,000 then 30,000 and so on. One gripe I have though is they sure do charge, so would like some feed back on your Oil & Filter charges, to see if I'm being charged as a Farang.

I always use Toyota's own Motor Oil SL/CF 5W-40 100% Synthetic, in my Vigo 3.0D4D 4X4. First service @ 1000km then at every 10,000km intervals i.e. 10,000 then 20,000 then 30,000 and so on. One gripe I have though is they sure do charge, so would like some feed back on your Oil & Filter charges, to see if I'm being charged as a Farang.

Same as HDRIDER said, how much did they charge you per liter for the oil and how much did they charge for the filter?  Did Toyota change your oil and filter at the 1000km service?  There seems to be some confusion as to whether it is changed or not, some do and some do not.  Also, lesdunbar said that he was advised by Toyota and that his English service book stated that there is a 5,000km service. Possibly, he has the petrol engine instead of the diesel engine or his service book may have indicated a 5,000km service for the petrol engine instead. I've just turned 600km on my Vigo so I'm doing the research ahead of time.

Pattaya David

Edited by PattayaDavid

At 1,000km they changed oil & filter (asked me first, in fact they always ask me first if I want it changed...), I ended up 3,500 lighter (but I do specify their best oil), same at 10,000km, at 20,000 I had the fuel system flushed/injectors cleaned, 4,200 odd lighter, I can go to my local Caltax and change oil & filter for 1000 odd (but then don't get my service card swiped, and the oil is not Synthetic), I'm sure they are ripping me off, but my wife always questions the price, and they are adamant we are being charged fairly......

Edit...

Just dug out my last invoice,

Oil per Gallon 1,830.00

Oil per Ltr 416.00

Oil filter 220.00

Fuel/injector flush 820.00

Oil Capacity 7ltrs

All in all my last service cost me 4,795.74 inc tax. Looking at it its still cheaper than England, and I always get first class service with them. Guess they always ask me about the oil because they know its expensive, so want to check before pouring it in....

Edited by solent01

It's been said to me by people in the oil industry that the lubricating ability of modern oils is such that they may prevent an engine from wearing in and seating properly. Synthetic oils have a high detergent action which also prevents the buildup of carbon in places where it may be necessary or beneficial due to small variations in manufacturing tolerance. While modern engines usually don't need much in the way of specific treatment while new due to the excellent tolerances achived by modern manufacturing it has been said that a non-synthetic oil is good for the first 10,000-20,000km then switch to a synthetic oil. If you leave it too long, say, 60,000km before switching, the synthetic oil may remove deposits which could cause the engine to run less well. I don't have any evidence of this other than to say this is from people with more than 20 years experience in the industry. The proof is in what they did in their own cars which was generally use a non-synthetic oil and change it regularly: every 10,000 or not more than 6 months and change the filter also.

Edited by sibeymai

G,day PattayaDavid,

I have the 3lt diesel engine in my new vigo I.ll check my book again tomorrow and let you know the results,

cheers,

lesdunbar

I don't have my English owners manual as yet.  My Toyota Dealership is claiming that Toyota is having some shortage problems due to their printing source.  I've got a feeling that there may be some discrepancies between the Thai version and the English version of the owners manual.  I've been told, but don't hold me to it, that the English version provided to Thailand Farang residents is basically the same manual supplied with their export model trucks so there may be some errors or discrepancies between the two.  I was looking at the warranty card form that came with my truck which provides for a 3-year, 100,000km warranty and 50,000km labor charge coverage and this paper lists the services at 1,000km, 10,000km and every additional 10,000km until reaching 50,000.  

I don't think it would be such a bad idea to have the first oil and filter changed a bit early at 5,000km to flush out the excess metal particles that are as a result of the initial brea

-in of the engine.

Concerning the use of synthetic oil, I've used Mobil 1 synthetic oil in pretty much all of my past cars, however I did stick with the conventional oil at least through the first oil change and sometimes the second before switching over to the synthetic oil to insure that the engine had fully broken in, valve gear and such fully seating.

Pattaya David

At 1,000km they changed oil & filter (asked me first, in fact they always ask me first if I want it changed...), I ended up 3,500 lighter (but I do specify their best oil), same at 10,000km, at 20,000 I had the fuel system flushed/injectors cleaned, 4,200 odd lighter, I can go to my local Caltax and change oil & filter for 1000 odd (but then don't get my service card swiped, and the oil is not Synthetic), I'm sure they are ripping me off, but my wife always questions the price, and they are adamant we are being charged fairly......

Edit...

Oil per Gallon 1,830.00

Oil per Ltr 416.00

Oil filter 220.00

Oil Capacity 7ltrs

All in all my last service cost me 4,795.74 inc tax. Looking at it its still cheaper than England, and I always get first class service with them. Guess they always ask me about the oil because they know its expensive, so want to check before pouring it in....

The 1.000 km check and oil replacement was free of charge in my case, I didnot have the filter changed

I think it maybe a good idea to have it done at 5.000 km before I go for my advised 10.000 km check

J

G,day,

I finally checked my english manual today...sorry....

It states the same as HDRIDER has posted first oil change at 10,000 . I think I will have a full service done @ 5000 Klms.

Thanks for your advise,

cheers,

lesdunbar

Guys, now I'm very confused, can we confirm who's diesel and who's petrol, I'm guessing that we are mixing up whats what. I'm Derv and I've been told as per my book first at 1,000 then at every 10,000 ther after?, but to be honest, do I really care what toyota says, this isn't the first car Ive had, and it sure as hel_l won't be the last.

Edit...

Oil per Gallon 1,830.00

Oil per Ltr 416.00

Oil filter 220.00

Oil Capacity 7ltrs

The 1.000 km check and oil replacement was free of charge in my case, I didnot have the filter changed

I think it maybe a good idea to have it done at 5.000 km before I go for my advised 10.000 km check

J

I just had my Vigo 3.0d 1,000 km check performed this afternoon and the service was also free of charge, however the oil was not replaced.  I don't have my English owners/service manual as yet, but the service representative told me that the oil and filter are not changed at the 1,000 km check unless requeste

by the owner and it's not free of charge.

Pattaya Dave 

replacement is not performed as part of the

Since I just got my 1,000 km service this afternoon, I've filled my truck's tank only once thus far and calculated 9 kpl, mostly city driving in Pattaya. I expect (hope) to get better mileage as my engine breaks in and loosens up a bit. I'm planning a trip to Issan soon and am looking forward to see what mileage I get on the trip.

Pattaya Dave

Since I just got my 1,000 km service this afternoon, I've filled my truck's tank only once thus far and calculated 9 kpl, mostly city driving in Pattaya. I expect (hope) to get better mileage as my engine breaks in and loosens up a bit. I'm planning a trip to Issan soon and am looking forward to see what mileage I get on the trip.

Pattaya Dave

Wow that is a huge difference between what was advertised and what you get.post-28723-1173439693_thumb.jpg

I know this picture looks like a car but I think the Vigo is a pickup and this is an optical illusion.

Edited by wolfmanjack

Toyota oil is made by Esso. All premium oils are fine as long as you follow spec. Ther's no real way of doing it outside dealership because of your warranty. After your warranty is finished you can go anywhere for your oil.

Toyota oil is made by Esso. All premium oils are fine as long as you follow spec. Ther's no real way of doing it outside dealership because of your warranty. After your warranty is finished you can go anywhere for your oil.

Thanks for the info Hakku.  I'm thinking about changing my oil and filter every 5,000 km, alternating with Toyota, so I'll still meet my Toyota service requirements.  When I was at Toyota yesterday, I as

ed what

brand of oil they used and the viscosity.  The service tech could only tell me that they used Toyota branded oil, basically he didn't have a clue who supplied it to Toyota.  He also showed me in their service book that they use 10W-30 viscosity on their conventional oil.  Synthetic oil was shown as 20W50, but he s

id that this was for petrol engines.  

He said that diesel engines are supplied with 5W-SL synthetic oil, whatever that means.  One gallon + 2 liters of conventional oil costs 698 b

ht and for synthetic oil the

for the same amount of oil was , I think, 2,698 or 2,898 baht.  For the time being, I believe I will remain with the conventional oil, changing both oil and filter every 5,000 km.

Pattaya Dave

Edited by PattayaDavid

Dave, I think an oil change every 5k is over kill, but ultimately your choice, where are you from? back home do you work with k' or m's, and how often do you service back home? I think that 10k is over kill, but I do it so the service history is kept to, so as to get top price when I decide to sell!!!!

In thailand they make a difference between oils for diesel and gasoline, rest of world doesnt really do that. Roughly three specs. Minerqal, semi synthetic and full synthetic, dont worry about viscosity numbers since not so relevant in thailand with a constant hot temperature.

I suggest you follow the instructions from the dealers while under warranty. I do agree that thais overkill on oil changes. 10k km should be fine. Unless you're in BKK jam all the times, then you might want to do it more regular since you don't make the km's but you make the running hours....

Semi synthetic would be the way to go for most modern engines, combining protection and value. Full synthetic would be overkill and hardly any maufacturer prescribes that (Porsche does....)

Edited by hakku

Dave, I think an oil change every 5k is over kill, but ultimately your choice, where are you from? back home do you work with k' or m's, and how often do you service back home? I think that 10k is over kill, but I do it so the service history is kept to, so as to get top price when I decide to sell!!!!

I know where you are coming from, back in the states I used to change both oil and filter at 5,000 miles on all of my vehicles, however I did use Mobile 1 synthetic oil.  I also changed the oil and filter myself, avoiding the high cost of the dealership service.  This did not void the warranty, just keep the receipts as proof in the event you ever had to make a warranty claim concerning the engine.  

It is my opinion, in Thailand and in many European countries, having your vehicle serviced at the dealership and being able to present a servi

e book is imparitive particularly

for resale purposes.  Also in Thailand, the dealers seem very quick in their avoidance of warranty claims.  They tend to look for the smallest infraction in order to void honoring a warranty claim so this forces vehicle own

rs to use their service departments

throughout the vehicle warranty period.

I was considering the 5,000 km oil and filter changes based on recommendations by others and by the fact that I have never owned a diesel engine powered vehicle before so I figured that I would go with the flow. I figured that I would change the oil and filter myself at every other oil change to save some money.  One thing I have noted here is that the price of both oil and filter are very expensive as compared to the U.S. In the U.S., I'm used to shopping the papers for sales and can usually find my oil of choice (Mobile I) at a significant discount.  Seven liter

of synthetic oil in Thailand will cost

you near 2,000 baht at local stores and nearly 3,000 baht from Toyota.  I may reconsider and go with the scheduled 10,000 km (6,000 mile) change intervals.  I still have not decided on conventional or synthetic motor oil, however I still have another 9,000 km to figure that out.

Thanks,

Pattaya Dave