Motorcycle Licence

semper48

I am thinking of buying a bike, seems to me the 400 cc format will suit my pocket and needs. Dont have licence. Where is best to sit test? Is it difficult here in Thailand?

Another related question. The 400 cc bikes seem so much cheaper than the bigger bikes. Do they have lower taxes or something?

I am thinking of buying a bike, seems to me the 400 cc format will suit my pocket and needs. Dont have licence. Where is best to sit test? Is it difficult here in Thailand?

Another related question. The 400 cc bikes seem so much cheaper than the bigger bikes. Do they have lower taxes or something?

I bought a Yam1200XJR from a english guy in Chang Mia, big bike prices are about the same here as UK, it has number plates, {this is important!!! and a logbook !! } the bike is taxed and insured, cost the same as my missus Honda Wave110cc, 645bht 1 year, you dont need to have a test, or even a driving license, the police have the ocasinal "helmut day" here, and will fine you 200bht on the spot if not wearing one, that happens about 2 times a year in the village i live in NE Thailand, before i left UK i got a 10 year international driving licensce from the RAC,400cc in the form of a Pari/dakar bike would be very good, my 1200 is ok but sometimes the roads dissapear or go into moon-crater mode, hence i never ride at night!! my advice is buy a bike with plates, get on it, ride where you want and enjoy it, i do all the time :o

I bought a Yam1200XJR from a english guy in Chang Mia, big bike prices are about the same here as UK, it has number plates, {this is important!!! and a logbook !! } the bike is taxed and insured, cost the same as my missus Honda Wave110cc, 645bht 1 year, you dont need to have a test, or even a driving license, the police have the ocasinal "helmut day" here, and will fine you 200bht on the spot if not wearing one, that happens about 2 times a year in the village i live in NE Thailand, before i left UK i got a 10 year international driving licensce from the RAC,400cc in the form of a Pari/dakar bike would be very good, my 1200 is ok but sometimes the roads dissapear or go into moon-crater mode, hence i never ride at night!! my advice is buy a bike with plates, get on it, ride where you want and enjoy it, i do all the time :o

Most of that was sensible advice, apart from one little part.

Helmet day is a minor inconvenience, and can be avoided by, guess what, wearing a helmet.

Try having an accident without the correct paperwork and you will be in a world of pain. If you are a short term visitor, you will usually be covered if you have an IDP backed up with your full licence, but it is vital that you check with the insurance agents that you are using. If you are a long term inmate, a Thai licence is the best option. You don't need to go through the test if you have your own full licence and an IDP, but you can do for a laugh if you want (you will also need a letter of residency, health certificate etc ... full details are available in the motoring sub-forum)

Thank you guys. Getting there. I am not thinking of what I can get away with but more so being totally legal in case of accident. I am very well insured, but do recon the insurance will not cough up if I am driving illegally.

As I understand it I need to show some kind of residency paperwork. That not being possible I will opt for the taking the test in my own language.

I bought a Yam1200XJR from a english guy in Chang Mia, big bike prices are about the same here as UK, it has number plates, {this is important!!! and a logbook !! } the bike is taxed and insured, cost the same as my missus Honda Wave110cc, 645bht 1 year, you dont need to have a test, or even a driving license, the police have the ocasinal "helmut day" here, I know many Germans in Chiang Mai but why are they picking on Helmut? and will fine you 200bht on the spot if not wearing one, that happens about 2 times a year in the village i live in NE Thailand, before i left UK i got a 10 year international driving licensce Can you scan your 10 year IDL (remove personal details first)? I have only been able to get 1 year ones! from the RAC,400cc in the form of a Pari/dakar bike would be very good, my 1200 is ok but sometimes the roads dissapear or go into moon-crater mode, hence i never ride at night!! my advice is buy a bike with plates, get on it, ride where you want and enjoy it, i do all the time :o

"You don't need a licence" according to Lickey who has a '10 year' IDL Question for lickey - if semper48 takes your advice and is involved in a serious accident, woukld you pay semper48's fine and any compensation to the third party?

I bought a Yam1200XJR from a english guy in Chang Mia, big bike prices are about the same here as UK, it has number plates, {this is important!!! and a logbook !! } the bike is taxed and insured, cost the same as my missus Honda Wave110cc, 645bht 1 year, you dont need to have a test, or even a driving license, the police have the ocasinal "helmut day" here, I know many Germans in Chiang Mai but why are they picking on Helmut? and will fine you 200bht on the spot if not wearing one, that happens about 2 times a year in the village i live in NE Thailand, before i left UK i got a 10 year international driving licensce Can you scan your 10 year IDL (remove personal details first)? I have only been able to get 1 year ones! from the RAC,400cc in the form of a Pari/dakar bike would be very good, my 1200 is ok but sometimes the roads dissapear or go into moon-crater mode, hence i never ride at night!! my advice is buy a bike with plates, get on it, ride where you want and enjoy it, i do all the time :o

"You don't need a licence" according to Lickey who has a '10 year' IDL Question for lickey - if semper48 takes your advice and is involved in a serious accident, woukld you pay semper48's fine and any compensation to the third party?

Mr Hippo, let me elaborate on a few details,the licence was obtained of a link on the RAC google search page,and if i remember it was about 120quid, i will eventually get a thai license, being an inmate!! but it does make you wonder when i see 7/8 year olds driving little bikes with there dads pissed as a parrott on the back, Yes, i always wear a helmet, no offence to any germans anywhere in Thai, was a spelling mistake, anyway, german draught beer is the best in the world, wish i could get some Paulaner here in the NE.

I have a full insurace cover, accident and sickness, Semper has already said this as well, if Semper is planning to be an "inmate" im sure he will do the sensible thing and buy a plated bike, regester it in his name, wear a helmet,and enjoy riding it.

Worst case scenario, and you know what i mean, night or day, the walking tractors that suddenly turn right from the nearside of the road, just as you are overtaking it, whack!! tractor driver looks at you and says stupid falang!!! and carries on, leaving you in the road at night, what happens then?

Whats the law regarding riding bikes in Thailand. I live in Korat and got pulled over by the police, they gave me a ticket to go and pay at the police station but when my wife read the ticket out to me, I had 2 fines one for not wearing a helmet and the other for not having a licence. I was only riding a rev and go moped and i showed the police officer my UK driving licence and he just handed it back and told me to wait.

Whats the law regarding riding bikes in Thailand. I live in Korat and got pulled over by the police, they gave me a ticket to go and pay at the police station but when my wife read the ticket out to me, I had 2 fines one for not wearing a helmet and the other for not having a licence. I was only riding a rev and go moped and i showed the police officer my UK driving licence and he just handed it back and told me to wait.

Hi Jarred, or is it jarred off now? both fines are legit i suppose, you should wear a helmet by law and have a thai translation of your licence, ie a international driving permit, or a thai licence, you like me are pissed off big time seeing kids riding twist and go bikes past coppers sitting around doing nothing!! 4 kids on a bike and a dog in the basket, no lights, no real control, no road sense, no training, dont look right when turning left at a t junction, the times ive told my missus about this, crossroads with no real right of way, no road markings, the list is endless, I ride and drive like i did in UK, and ride defensifly, and never at night, its like a minefield round here, rear lights seem to be optinal!!

I used my drivers license from the USA and my international driving permit (from AAA) and did not have to take a test. The car license and motor bike license are different in the USA and Thailand however if you have a drivers license for car in the USA it allows you to drive a "moped" or scooter which would be one of these non-Harley's flying around the city and I was issued that license as well. I guess it's worth mentioning if you can't show residency in Thailand you can't get a drivers license because you have to goto immigration and have they validate the residency document (free of charge). If your here on back to back tourist visa's it's not possible to get a drivers license nor can you buy a motor bike (legally that is).

I used my drivers license from the USA and my international driving permit (from AAA) and did not have to take a test. The car license and motor bike license are different in the USA and Thailand however if you have a drivers license for car in the USA it allows you to drive a "moped" or scooter which would be one of these non-Harley's flying around the city and I was issued that license as well. I guess it's worth mentioning if you can't show residency in Thailand you can't get a drivers license because you have to goto immigration and have they validate the residency document (free of charge). If your here on back to back tourist visa's it's not possible to get a drivers license nor can you buy a motor bike (legally that is).

DrFisher, good input and sound advice, I really dont know how Semper is fixed status wise, resident or not? perhaps he will tell us, on the other hand, i do and can prove residency, my bike is plated, regersted at my home address taxed and insured, there is a lot that are not!!and the 3 month rule applys, you must be here more than 3months continuos before you can have a thai license..please check the links below..

MrHippo,im a "lifer' here, but do intend going home to visit kids,grandchildren, mum, brothers ect later this year. i hope the links below will be of some use to you, its not the exact site i got my licence but it will give you an idea, very handy if you travel the world and have no real fixed address..

Semper, hope the sites below are of use to you, very good for licence if you are a resident here, I think a bit of research in your insurance documents would stand you in good stead, before i left UK, i stipulated that i would be riding big bikes here, I had to pay a bit more but at least im fully covered for all eventuallities, good luck and let me know what bike you get, Cheers, Lickey.

www.idlforyou.com/prices

www.driving.information.in.th

Sorry if by clicking links dont work, please be patient and type them in..

Those links are of no use to me, I already have a Thai licence and a UK one. I asked you to provide the link to the RAC site where you got your 10 year IDL from

I DID not say i got it off a link from the RAC page, if you read the post again, i got it of a google search page when looking for an IDP, and if you allready have a thai licence, why dont you explain to Semper how you got it!!! im sure he would appreciate an answer to his main question.

Those links are of no use to me, I already have a Thai licence and a UK one. I asked you to provide the link to the RAC site where you got your 10 year IDL from

I DID not say i got it off a link from the RAC page, if you read the post again, i got it of a google search page when looking for an IDP, and if you allready have a thai licence, why dont you explain to Semper how you got it!!! im sure he would appreciate an answer to his main question.

But you did say that you got your 10 year IDL from the RAC - "before i left UK i got a 10 year international driving licensce from the RAC" Did you get it from the RAC or are you bending the truth?

The OP is asking about taking a motorcycle test, it will make no real difference if he takes it here or in the UK. If he has never ridden before. I would caution him against getting a 400 as a starter bike.

But you did say that you got your 10 year IDL from the RAC - "before i left UK i got a 10 year international driving licensce from the RAC" Did you get it from the RAC or are you bending the truth?

The OP is asking about taking a motorcycle test, it will make no real difference if he takes it here or in the UK. If he has never ridden before. I would caution him against getting a 400 as a starter bike.

Next time i go to shop, i will look in office for my documents, i cant find the link on here tonight, i agree, its not an Rac site, but im sure i found it while looking at related sites.

Thank you guys. Getting there. I am not thinking of what I can get away with but more so being totally legal in case of accident. I am very well insured, but do recon the insurance will not cough up if I am driving illegally.

As I understand it I need to show some kind of residency paperwork. That not being possible I will opt for the taking the test in my own language.

Semper, you have answered your own question, you do need to prove residency ect, if you go the UK way of doing test for big bike, it could take you months,,anyway, good luck withever what you decide,