Thai honesty: Money returned - but was it really 300,000 baht?

webfact

Thai honesty: Money returned - but was it really 300,000 baht?

51440610_2254345424777102_1458845110203580416_n.jpg

The Facebook page of the Chiang Mai traffic police pictured an American man giving the thumbs up after a bag was returned to him by a volunteer traffic cop.

But while the page said that 300,000 baht's worth of dollars was returned to the US national pictures suggested that it may well have been less. 

51286682_2254346398110338_3670622588968632320_n.jpg

The haul handed back to Richard D. Godwin looked more like about US 1,000 or a little over 30,000 baht. 

A quantity of Thai money was also in the bag along with documents and an air ticket.

It was found on Sunday by volunteer traffic cop Anupong Nanthanikhom (#0271) and reunited with Mr Godwin next day.

Mr Godwin declared that his money and valuables were all there saying he was very happy and praising the organization of the Thais in contacting him. 

Source: Chiang Mai traffic police

thai+visa_news.jpg
 -- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-07

Slightly off topic but I had a very nice Thai lady run after me in a crowded market to return my ATM card I'd left in the machine (again!!).

She could have just let the machine eat it or simply  thrown it away.

Saved me a few hassles.

There are some nice people out there.

On 2/7/2019 at 12:28 PM, taichiplanet said:

Thai maths; obviously didn't use the calculator app on his phone as wanted to post the photo on fb as fast as possible.

tops has a sale on Tim Tam:

100 gr for 36, 200 gr now only 99 THB instead of 108. Ferrero Rocher being often cheaper in smaller quantities... 

16 minutes ago, onlycw said:

tops has a sale on Tim Tam:

100 gr for 36, 200 gr now only 99 THB instead of 108. Ferrero Rocher being often cheaper in smaller quantities... 

Have you not noticed that every single vendor in Thailand uses a calculator, even for something as simple as 100 plus 50 baht?

I think it's fair to say that maths is not taught very well in Thailand, therefore most people cannot do the sums in their head to figure out which is the best deal. Years ago, I was looking at T shirts in Sukhumvit and the guy said 200 for one, 500 for two! I assumed that he was just trying to see if I was drunk or stupid, but still wonder about it.

Have you not noticed that every single vendor in Thailand uses a calculator, even for something as simple as 100 plus 50 baht?

I think it's fair to say that maths is not taught very well in Thailand, therefore most people cannot do the sums in their head to figure out which is the best deal.

But I've noticed , that the market vendors mostly only do that with me and other farang ,but verbalize the price to Thai customers , I think it's just a way to ensure that there is no mistaken communication about the price .

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:28 PM, taichiplanet said:

Thai maths; obviously didn't use the calculator app on his phone as wanted to post the photo on fb as fast as possible.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:33 PM, PatOngo said:

Milk it for what you can, even if you have to lie about the amount.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:36 PM, Mavideol said:

as always TAT fake news and misleading information and they wonder why the negative criticism

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:43 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Is there added a zero or two to the tourist numbers also?

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, orchis said:

they clearly added a zero.

..or perhaps it was just a typo that even you personifications of perfection make sometimes?

Archived