I have an old banana tree at the back of my house. The tree appears to be beyond producing fruit but there are several saplings around it apparently from suckers. Will these saplings eventually fruit, and if so, how long before they do? Will it damage the saplings if I cut down the old barren? tree to give the saplings more room?

Finally, some trees e.g.apple, pear, date, need a second tree to cross-fertilise each other, does a banana need buddy?

Cut down the old plant about two feet above the ground.

Suckers around the base of the parent plant; if the small suckers have pointed leaves (sword suckers) these are the ones you want and will grow and produce well. If the sucker leaves are broad (water suckers) remove these as, although they will grow, they won't do as well as the sword suckers.

Bananas do better with companions but don't need others to cross-pollinate and produce fruit.

Google-up, there's loads of info out there.

Unless the plant is well watered and very well supplied with nutrients, it best to remove all but 2 or 3 of the largest "daughter" plants, even then don't let more than 4 or 5 keep growing, or you'll get no fruit on any.

If your original tree hasn't yet fruited don't give up on it unless it is clearly dying..  Plenty of water and manure are needed to keep them healthy.

Archived