How Is Eva Air?

tijnebijn

Just a short question here.I have just purchased a ticket to A'dam ,and I am flying with EVA air,I never have flown with this company before,and am wondering how the service,the condition of the planes and which country they operate from.Not that i am scared or whatsoever,I always fly with China airlines,and think they are similar,but the package discount i got was too good.So somebody can tell me what to expect?

maybe it is better then CI?

Just a short question here.I have just purchased a ticket to A'dam ,and I am flying with EVA air,I never have flown with this company before,and am wondering how the service,the condition of the planes and which country they operate from.Not that i am scared or whatsoever,I always fly with China airlines,and think they are similar,but the package discount i got was too good.So somebody can tell me what to expect?

Like CI, its based in Taiwan. I've flown to AMS with them quite a few times, in their Evergreen Deluxe Class (sort of Economy service with a bigger Business Class style seat), and always been impressed.

G

I have never flow them, but i have a return flight to LAX comming up on them in afew months. To your destination, you will most likely be flying on one of their older 747's as (according to their schedule) they use their new 777's to Bangkok, London and Los Angeles only. The new 777's all have excellent in flight ent and personal TV's but their old 747's do not have personal TV and the seats look rather old. If your lucky and you fly on one of their 747 combi (half passenger/ half cargo) planes, you will have a personal TV. Remember all this info is only for their economy class service.

Find out what type of plane you are scheduled to fly on and then look at this website to get info about their plane and service

www.seatguru.com

Like CI, its based in Taiwan. I've flown to AMS with them quite a few times, in their Evergreen Deluxe Class (sort of Economy service with a bigger Business Class style seat), and always been impressed.

G

Good to hear,thanks for your reply,I am looking forward too it,always nice to hear experience from others.

I did not know they operate from taiwan also,so I can expect a bit of Taiwanese style of dishes?good news! :o

Good to hear,thanks for your reply,I am looking forward too it,always nice to hear experience from others.

I did not know they operate from taiwan also,so I can expect a bit of Taiwanese style of dishes?good news! :o

They are a Taiwanese company, an offshoot of the great worldwide shipping container company Evergreen. I've flown to LHR a few times with EVA and would recommend them. Last time 50% of the hostesses were Thai. You can expect some oriental food but you'll have to wait till you land for Uitsmieter.:D enjoy your trip.

Edit// sorry repeated info in previous post, was beaten to the reply.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

EVA Air is good value for money but they do not offer good mileage program (if this is important for you)

They are based in Taipei Taiwan and therefore if you use them to Europe from Bangkok it means the plane will be coming from Taipei, might be delayed and will leave/arrive at not very friendly times for connections.

I would recommend them to fly point to point (no transfers) as they offer good value in all classes (even F !)

The only downside to flying Taiwanese airlines is having to spend your layover in the horrible Taiwanese airport if you're headed from Asia to the U.S. Absolutely nothing is there. It sucks.

A year ago, I would've agreed with you having flown through TPE numerous times. Had a layover there last December I was pleasantly surprised, they've renovated the China Airlines terminal and added many more shops and some more places to eat through out the airport, including a Subway and a Star bucks. It sure beats LAX.

i always use eva for visits to the uk , their premium economy is certainly the way to go.

new planes now , helpful , efficient and unobtrusive service , food good enough and never been delayed.

they get fully booked early though

thai airways and ba/quantas lost the plot years ago , for direct bkk-lhr i wouldnt use any other airline.

Thanks for all these replys,I got a much better picture now of how it will be like.I am still a member of CI and they gave me free seats through airmiles in the past,while flying with them.I wonder if I could make myself a member of Eva also before I fly,in the beginning of May,so if I like it can take some miles for the future.But somebody wrote down that this with Eva is not that great,but if it is and about the same like CI,it is fine by me.

For sure the times they fly is a bit down,but the other flights are similar and flying also late at night,but Eva oke the latest,but still between an hour from the rest!The prices are very oke,so I expect full flights!

I used to wait while bordering,and let everybody go in first,so when I come in everybody have taken their seats allready,then I look at the most far empty seats,and 4 out of 5 times I got 4 chairs for me alone available.......Travellers experience when you fly economy!

With Eva full booked?

In the 'old days', oh dear we used to fly Quantas. Planes were empty and you could lie down. But I got fed up with being woken up to be given fruit cake. Switched to China Airlines via Amsterdam--always late. So then to Thai..until went with wife. They were so rude to her she refused to go on another Thai plane, ever, period. And anyway now the planes are old and they are expensive...and whether true or not-all ;liability of this denied..it was suggested that jobs at Thai were acquired...well shall we say not by the usual criterai of competence!! Now we always fly BKK-LHR-BKK Eva Premium Economy 777s. Good seats, good service, charming to kids, leave you alone if that's what you want, attentive if not!

I have never flown on CI, so I can't make any comparisons on this.

I flew in business class on EVA many times when they first started, but hadn't been on them for awhile until this past year when I went to Europe. It is still an excellent airline and I will choose them again, although I was sad to see that rising costs have done away with the meal service on business they used to have. When they first started, food was served on a cart so that you could choose any combination you wanted (beef, chicken, fish etc.) and as much (or little) of each as you wanted. Those days are gone as I guess are hot pants on stewardesses.

Flew with them 2 weeks ago Hkg-Tpe-Sea and back.On their B747's their business class is the old style and not that comfortable and service ok but not spectacular for a Asian airline.Food naff have to say and choice of drinks poor.We were delayed about 2 hrs out of Sea but despite Tpe airport being a madhouse still made my connection to Hkg with only 30 mins ground time and my suitcase made it as well.The A330's to Hkg were with the new business class with all the bells nd whistles.Tendancy to have delays in/out of Tpe though.ciao

Flew with them 2 weeks ago Hkg-Tpe-Sea and back.On their B747's their business class is the old style and not that comfortable and service ok but not spectacular for a Asian airline.Food naff have to say and choice of drinks poor.We were delayed about 2 hrs out of Sea but despite Tpe airport being a madhouse still made my connection to Hkg with only 30 mins ground time and my suitcase made it as well.The A330's to Hkg were with the new business class with all the bells nd whistles.Tendancy to have delays in/out of Tpe though.ciao

Good update. Apparently, they have the newer planes (777's) going to Europe.

i would agree that Eva Air is generally a good airline. I have flown on both the new 777 and the older plane they used to use on the LHR-BKK route. But i've noticed a couple of changes recently. The Evergreen Deluxe (premium economy class ...i think they have a new name for this class now) offers less leg room on the new 777s compared to the older plane (i think it was a 747), 38" vs 44", although still very comfortable. Secondly i used to be able to book a return from London on the premium class for less than £500 inc. taxes (i got it once for £440!) But for the last year or so the best price i've seen for this route is more than £800. Have i been unlucky or going at the wrong time? Or have they pushed their prices up? I think Eva have taken advantage of the increased popularity and hiked their prices...

On a side note you can upgrade at the airport from economy to premium for a one way fee of $180, subject to availability. Given that you can still get a return economy ticket for ~£400-£500, this option works out cheaper! I'm hoping they will eventually fly twice a day as per the other direct airlines! Either way i agree the service beats BA/Qantas and even Thai airways for this route.

• 2 months later...

Just a reaction for how my flights went.I did not know how Eva air was when I was posting this topic before and got many useful reactions back then,thanks all.

Now have been and come back from my flights.The flight to A'dam and back to Bkk were with mixed configuration.

I found the food dissapointing ,and I don't know why I felt for the first time in my life in a plane not to safe also,I thought the plane was getting a bit overused,It just gave me this impression.Overall the service and all was very satisfying.But in the cheaper price classes I think China airlines is better,bigger seats.The service from the crew I thought were very friendly,next time i will try Cathay airline(next year) and look how they make me feel.

:o A litlle tip if you are flying ecom ask for seats at the rear row 69 to 71 window seats as there is ample leg room in these and if the the plane is not it tends to be at the back you can hop over and lay down on the spare seats.

choice of movies,own jukebox by far the best i have flown with to London.

What is the cost to fly to Amsterdam as i have been told its the cheapest way.Bangkok-Amsterdam-London Stansted.

:o A litlle tip if you are flying ecom ask for seats at the rear row 69 to 71 window seats as there is ample leg room in these and if the the plane is not it tends to be at the back you can hop over and lay down on the spare seats.

choice of movies,own jukebox by far the best i have flown with to London.

What is the cost to fly to Amsterdam as i have been told its the cheapest way.Bangkok-Amsterdam-London Stansted.

yeah it was the cheapest flight to A'dam ,a return was 28000,a couple of thousand cheaper then CI and much more then the other flights.The seats are better then CI though,but thanks for the tip to have more legspace in the back of the plane.I flew with a mixed configuration so there wasn't anything like choosing our own movies etc,the movie theatre in this flight was very disappointing .I guess the flight to London is much more convenient.

I've flown Eva half a dozen times. I think the fall into the OK (Mediocre) bracket.

I stopped flying with Eva when, half way through a trip I had to return home urgently, it was then that I realized that Eva's schedules are so restricted they offer no practical flexibility. In order to get back home within a reasonable time (Eva could not get me seat witin two weeks) I wound up buying a new ticket with my favourite airline BA.

As so often - You get what you pay for.

Just a reaction for how my flights went.I did not know how Eva air was when I was posting this topic before and got many useful reactions back then,thanks all.

Now have been and come back from my flights.The flight to A'dam and back to Bkk were with mixed configuration.

I found the food dissapointing ,and I don't know why I felt for the first time in my life in a plane not to safe also,I thought the plane was getting a bit overused,It just gave me this impression.Overall the service and all was very satisfying.But in the cheaper price classes I think China airlines is better,bigger seats.The service from the crew I thought were very friendly,next time i will try Cathay airline(next year) and look how they make me feel.

Were you on one of their boeing 747's?

I would hope their 777's still feel safe :o

Were you on one of their boeing 747's?

I would hope their 777's still feel safe :D

yeah it was the 747 mixed configuration.I was not joking when I stated that i did nof feel safe.There was also a lot of turbulence on the flight back to bangkok.but it was not only that,I checked the overall look of the plane.

The wings were full of dust,saw also very clearly they overpainted it,like there are hiding the age or something.

It was proberly me ,but I can tell you that i was o so happy to have landed safely :D .The 777 are new planes aren't they?I just do not want to fly this 747 again,and when I got a feeling (I don't hope so)many time it becomes like that :o .Like I told you guys I have flown over 40 times in an airplane and also with more turbulence then this one,and still felt more safe.Just like that ,maybe i had a bad day with to much coffee. :D

Flew with them last month BKK-LAX, portion from BKK to Taipei was alright but flying out from Taipei to LA was a litttle disappointing. The service was slower, the food could have been better and the toilet facilities were inadequate and some filthy. Tooth paste and brush not provided(didn't carry on board due to airlines' security issues) have to ask for one from the flight attendant.

I would probably fly with them again but if given the choice will prefer Singapore or JAL. Of course I flew in economy so my experience may have been "standard" :o on EVA.

EVA is the Dogs <deleted>. Currently they are the safest airline flying. Their only setback, is it is very hard to actually get a flight with them. I got my membership up to a silver card, and could virtually fly when I wanted with an up-grade. A silver card also gives you fantastic deals in the Evergreen Laurel Hotel in BKK ( and of course Evergreen Laurel hotels Worldwide)

Flying with a super-business up-grade is the way to go. Meals are fantastic, ( although they are not bad at all in Evergreen de-luxe)

I recommend anyone to fly EVA when they can. ( and I know. I was in the business)